What tent do you use?

12 man Kmart job for me... not as quick to set up, but when we go, we usually stay put for a few nights, so its not that much of a hassle...

Cheers
Rob

Knackers

I've got an Oztent. Have found it to be really good. The basic tent is quick to put up, but adding all the side panels takes time. Are bulky and for this reason have moved to a TentCot. Only used the TentCot one night in dry weather. Pretty happy with that also.

Cheers
Knackers

TENT ??? i usually sleep under the red pig but there seems to be to many leaks latley she needs more MUD :cool:
lol... Gotta love it... a genuine mud-blood. ;)

Mine is an Oztent - its up in seconds, then I spend the rest of the time helping everyone else put theirs up (with beer in hand ofcourse).

I have a COI centerpole tent, Easy 2 set up 4 pegs 1 pole. Has side poles if u dont want a pole in the middle. Packs up to 1mx1m for easy storage. Weighs 20KG

tiny

yeah i got 2 centerpole tents a smaller one for me and the missus and a larger one when the kid comes easy to set up easy to pack up i have a camper but use these more often

bubba

Tent

I also have a centre pole, four peg, safari style tent. You can stand up in it. The pole gives you something to hang on to when needed.
It is good for short stays when on the move as it is quick to erect and pack up. Mine was from kmart. Cheap but has travelled to Cape York and around Victoria.
Good for two people

Cheers
Bubba

Patriot

Administrator
If it looks like a no rain, I sleep out under the stars. It is great waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the bright stars, but if you pick the weather wrong it is a bummer, otherwise I sleep under a Hootchie, which is a square piece of water resistantish plastic. It is pretty basic and I will have to find something more elaborate when I take the family out with me.

James

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer
If it looks like a no rain, I sleep out under the stars. It is great waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the bright stars, but if you pick the weather wrong it is a bummer, otherwise I sleep under a Hootchie, which is a square piece of water resistantish plastic. It is pretty basic and I will have to find something more elaborate when I take the family out with me.

James
Bugger that CMF stuff James, I got out of the Rambo crap years ago, I think life owes me a few creature comforts these days

we have a Blackwolf family tent

heaps of room inside, packs small, and really fast to put up with two people (the inner and the fly stay connected, and the poles go through the fly) but a PITA when Mrs Chopper is dealing with kids, and I have to do it on my own.

12 man dome. easy to put up and packs small (1 medium size bag) enough to allow more kids to be packed. two room, one screens for most of our gear (kids gear too) the other fully encloses for privacy with vents in roof for air flow. was cheap (on sale) and is more convenient than the old steel pole two room canvas tent that packs into two large bags.

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer

heaps of room inside, packs small, and really fast to put up with two people (the inner and the fly stay connected, and the poles go through the fly) but a PITA when Mrs Chopper is dealing with kids, and I have to do it on my own.
Good choice of tent Chopper , have seen one or two around, they are not your average run of the mill, but are in a league of their own when it comes to tents .

Blackwolf here too amongst other tents. Great tents but not the easiest to put up.

Oztrail Peninsula 12 man, 3 rooms plus screen room on front - handy for storage & shelter. 20 mins to setup/take down. Weighs 33kg, but packs up to approx 900x600x500. Sugessted for multiple nights in one place with family - lots of room. Every time I have used it - it has absolutely pissed down! No leaks. Awnings all around & 4x4 dock if so inclined. Very happy so far. Was around $400

Side view with front screen room:

Back view:

Last edited:
Best tent

I currently have a 3 metre Black Wolf. Fantastic tent ( a bit expensive but worth it ).
Lay it out, climb inside, push up the frame, peg it down, start drinking.
I would recommend you dont buy the "Lite" version. It's cheaper but material is very thin & plasticky!