What Sort off Gaiters Do You Find Best?

GPS Guru

I’m looking at buying some gaiters to protect from seeds, grass, snakes etc but have been having a look on line and it seems there is quite a choice. What one do you find works best? Is there any advantage of canvas over nylon and vice versa? Would appreciate opinions. Thanks.

McGinnis

I probably own too many sets of gaiters that have been collected over the years.

I like the canvas ones personally, but once they're wet they stay wet, so they end up being bad for hiking (when you're out early in the morning with dewey grass), or in the rain.

I have a pair of heavy nylon gaiters (Mountain Hardwear) when I'm in snakey scrub, but they're a bit much for standard hiking and get very hot.

For general debris and whatnot it's hard to beat a pair of dirty girls but they're not likely to prevent snakebites or water ingress.

John U

I bought a pair of the One Planet. RFGs after having to camp in a muddy swamp for a weekend.
They seem pretty good but haven’t been able to test them out in the swamp like conditions yet. Once on they stay put. Made in Australia too.
They make a cheaper Snake Gater. Neither are cheap for gaiters. One Planet stuff is well designed and built to last.

Last edited:

Triton14

I use ridgeline gaitors, mine are an older version of these & had them for about 10 years-

Good quality, affordable price.

You can actually find them cheaper than on their site if you look on say ebay.

SirDrinksalott

Used them extensively in the UK, we used to seal them to our boots with glue and silicone so you could wade rivers without topping your boots.

I second anything Mountain Equipment but I found their lace bindings and straps very durable (I have them as tight as possible so I lost a lot through the zip tearing, the straps giving way and the front lace clip ripping out).

Wouldnt trust any with a snake bite though, ive had thorns go through them.

GPS Guru

Thanks for the replies - some good info to consider. Sounds like nylon maybe the way to go. Canvas could be an issue drying. I get sick of those spurs that seem to dig into your socks! Plus I've been doing some work out in the bush where a colleague and I became attractions to leeches!

McGinnis

Yeah spray your boots and gaiters with bushman (or use the 80% gel) and they'll stop climbing up them.

madmonk

I use the Macpac Cascade Gaiters. They are nylon and i have found them to be tough wearing. I like that they have a hook that attaches to the laces on your boots, along with a strap that goes around the sole of your shoes, to help keep them in place.

GPS Guru

Sorry, I just looked up your profile. The question and your signature sure looked like yet another spam thread to me.
Not a problem. I haven’t posted for a while and wasn’t aware about spamming threads occurring. It certainly wasn’t the intent. I’ve had the business name under my postings (with Admin approval) since I joined around ten years ago. Thanks for the apology though . Appreciated.

sharkcaver

Not a problem. I haven’t posted for a while and wasn’t aware about spamming threads occurring. It certainly wasn’t the intent. I’ve had the business name under my postings (with Admin approval) since I joined around ten years ago. Thanks for the apology though . Appreciated.
Yes, I see that when I looked up your profile. Again, my apologies. I've started responding with Smart arsed comments to all these spam threads so the mods see them and delete them. As for the original question, I cant help there, i try to avoid gators because I tend to sweat a lot when wearing them. Nylon ones are shockers in my experience.

As per madmonks experience, The lace hook and under heel strap are a must imo.

GPS Guru

No hard feelings! I can understand where you are coming from. Don't worry about it, I forgive and forget!
It's an interesting point about the sweating that you made and also what others have said. I think I might have to venture out to some of the stores and have a look.
I still have my old army cadet gaiters from 1976/77 so I guess they would be nearing fifty years old now. I ought to drag them out from under the house and give them a go. They have leather straps and stirrup. Probably not very fashionable though, but who cares?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have some longer and short canvas ones that I've used for 20 or so years bushwalking, depending on the type of walk I'm doing.
Longer ones can be hotter to wear, and probably uncomfortable if you keep them on when driving . . . avoid nylon, make you sweat buckets !

To be honest, what I wear mostly nowadays for morning walks and 4WD trips are the short sock topper cotton gaiters with elastic top you can pick up on the army disposal type store, think Big W etc may also have them.
They are usually plenty to keep small stones and sand out of boots, and prickles out of socks.

If you want protection from them riding up (tie / affix under boot arch), or snakes in long grass etc, then get some material / canvas ones that come up to just under the knee.

I'd see it your old army gaiters are still ok, if so they will probably do you fine for more rugged use.