What size and brand of fridge

migurox

Hey people I'm looking to buy a 12v Fridge for the back of my gq.... It'll have to be enough for the mrs 3 tin lids (kids) and myself.... I'm looking at a waeco or an engel... If I go engel I may have to go second hand depending on the size... Any advice would be appreciated....

Swaggie

With what you've said mate don't get anything under 60 litres.. Have a look at The Evakool RF60 model although there the yellow plastic ones, there about 18 kilos lighter than Engel 60litre. Plus there amperage is very low once cold..

There's always the second hand market.

Albynsw

Have a think about how you are going to mount it and also how much storage room you can afford to lose for the fridge as well
You may find an end or side hinged lodge will fit better so that will highlight particular brands you need to look for
I would go 60 l max, I think anything over that is just too big and cumbersome

hiluxdriver

Any of the name brands will be fine as long as they have a decent warranty. I've got a waeco and it goes alright, keeps the cold things cold

Superdad

I am in same position re needing fridge. Have been told waeco electrics are a bit dodgy. Any truth in this?

Neddysmith

I have a Evakool RF60 and it has been fantastic for keeping beer cold and icy poles frozen for the kids during the summer months

underdog

I am in same position re needing fridge. Have been told waeco electrics are a bit dodgy. Any truth in this?
Never been a brand snob myself, but what I can tell you is that my waeco cfx40 electrics, motor and compressor etc were all completely submerged when I drowned my pajero in Nolan's Brook in June last year. And I'm still using the same fridge without issue. Hasn't skipped a beat. Needless to say, I'm rather happy with that.

Before that I had a 6yr old Waeco CF60 and it was pretty good (sold it to a bloke on Gumtree a year ago who still has it today, in fine working form). My only issue was that I never filled the available space and thus it was quite inefficient (constantly having to cool air etc).

Last edited:

Bendman

In addition to the above, I've been using my Waeco CF80 for 4 years now, love it and it's never skipped a beat. It's fricken huge though so as per AlbanyNSW's comment above, you do lose luggage space. That was nearly my entire reason for getting a roof rack (and then the awning to go on the roof rack, and then it allowed me to mount a light bar :rolleyes: oh dear...).

ian.c

I bought a cheap waeco cf 80 off gumtree, silly design with control panel above compressor and fan, it has started to melt from excessive heat, also its hard to see indicator lights in daytime, lid tends to distort making it hard to seal, it was only $300 so cant complain, id go all out on a trailblazer if I had a ute and the cash but engel and evacool seem to get the best reviews here and from mates.

ULost2

there was an 80 lt engal for sale locally here last week; $800 I think. Too big for me so didn't take too much notice. .... FB buy sell swap Mildura

Chatty

I have a 90 litre Evakool - we went big because it's about to become the second fridge for our grey nomad adventures so we wanted plenty of spare capacity.
Has been used in the meantime as a camping fridge, beer fridge, second (house) fridge at Christmas and the like, main fri9dge when the house fridge pooped itself.
Would highly recommend the Evakool.

I have a waeco rip off, the 6th gear 50 llitre, goes really well. Delivered to my door with a cover for $530. Not disappointed at al, very pleased.

Bush Ranger

BCF have a Companion 60 litre fridge / freezer on spesh at the moment for $649. Half price apparently at a saving of $650. Don`t know if they`re any good, but worth a look maybe.

Last edited:

richardlnsw

I have a Waeco CF60 and it has been good to me (2009), some minor issues but nothing that has ever let me down anywhere that I have been. It has done loads of corrugations as well which can't be good for any fridge. I do think that these days there isn't too much difference in build quality (might be wrong) so work out your space, what size you need for the family (no car fridge will ever be good enough lol) and then work on price.
Good luck.

muc the truck

Hey people I'm looking to buy a 12v Fridge for the back of my gq.... It'll have to be enough for the mrs 3 tin lids (kids) and myself.... I'm looking at a waeco or an engel... If I go engel I may have to go second hand depending on the size... Any advice would be appreciated....
I use a 40 ltr engle on its own 80amp agm battery . its good for about 3 days using led lights off it too. I have never run it fown as I tend not to stay in the same place more than 2 or 3 nights . we don't use it for cold drinks unless its just a week end . its just for food and milk . maybe a some port lol . it saves space too . I do not recommend buying a 3 way gas fridge they are horridly inefficient

CruiserAd

With what you've said mate don't get anything under 60 litres.. Have a look at The Evakool RF60 model although there the yellow plastic ones, there about 18 kilos lighter than Engel 60litre. Plus there amperage is very low once cold..

There's always the second hand market.
Totally agree, me and the Mrs camp regularly and my 40 litre Engel is not big enough. Love it, but i'll be upgrading to something much bigger.

Swaggie

Totally agree, me and the Mrs camp regularly and my 40 litre Engel is not big enough. Love it, but i'll be upgrading to something much bigger.

Yeah mate your better off wasting a bit of space (not using it) than not having enough. Lol, but drinks can soon fill the void ;)