what projects u did/are doing during the social isolation

so with so many of us staying home rather than getting out n about or working (i just cancelled a trip camping out of my tinny down south gippsland grrr), i thought it might be fun to post up what projects u have taken on as a result of this unexpected free time. personally ive just cleaned up & re oiled my back decking . so with that done, ive now embarked on tidying up the front yard, wanna put in a garden bed along the front & one side boundary as well as a front fence. i hadnt planned on doing this just yet as ive got a few other projects on the go, such as replacing all the windows with double glazed timber ones, & redoing the cladding on the outside wall (& putting in insulation), have done half the house so far. but anyway with a lead time of 6 odd weeks for the windows needed something else i could do immediately. got a little whisper from one of my customers that we could be facing lock down soon so i whipped down to bunnings today to get materials for the fence, be a real bummer having all that time to do stuff & no materials to work with i thought. fair bit to do before i even dig holes for the fence posts so look forward to posting some pics of the new fence but be a little while yet. so what have you fellers (& ladies) got happening ?
20200324_154049.jpg
20200324_144654.jpg

Warby

Looks great Lars, and looks like a beautiful property too! I am slightly jealous....

Personally, I am just trying to build back up a decent base of strength (I have a pretty decent home gym setup), probably give the cars a really good detail and finally get around to properly sorting out the garage. After those jobs? No idea hah.

cheers warby, was lucky i was able to buy a place backing onto a nature reserve in the suburban melbourne, a little bit of country at my back fence, have been in constant reno mode since i got it (2013) (in between work & a bit of leisure as well) , am fortunate in having a brother whos a chippy & myself a sparky, so other than plumbing we've got most bases covered. reckon i could spend weeks sorting out my garage but at the end id still face the same problem, too much stuff, not enough space... might look into building that lean to shed ive been thinking about for all my fishing, 4wd & camping gear ...maybe even set up my bench press thats presently buried under all manner of things, could get fit again ... the possibilities ....

I've been painting the shed in readiness of new extensions. The old beige colourbond was looking rather tired and we wanted something to match the new house... whenever it gets started.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a few more jobs lined up though.

View attachment 67095
now thats more like the size shed i need (might need a bigger block to go with it though)

CaptainBanana

I'm not sure, since we deal largely in real estate maintenance we could have it stop too - except the law says landlords must maintain their properties in reasonable order.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I'm not sure, since we deal largely in real estate maintenance we could have it stop too- except the law says landlords must maintain their properties in reasonable order.
That will depend on if it is emergency work or not soon I think. General maintenance will get stopped like everyone else if they call a lockdown

MrPoopypants

I've been painting the shed in readiness of new extensions. The old beige colourbond was looking rather tired and we wanted something to match the new house... whenever it gets started.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a few more jobs lined up though.

View attachment 67095
Hey Hoyksie,
Just so happens I'm thinking this might be one of my lockdown projects. Old kit garage near the coast in dire need of a touch up. Did you just use exterior paint? Primer? Prep? Few different opinions on the interwebs. Would be interested in how you found doing it. And beer will make it easier. Can't cut your hand off with a paintbrush ...
Cheers
PP

discomatt

I gave the garage a major clean and the old Disco a major service , now when this thing is over the old bus is ready for a week of camping and serious hardcore 4wding :D
Man I am looking forward to that...

Hoyks

Hey Hoyksie,
Just so happens I'm thinking this might be one of my lockdown projects. Old kit garage near the coast in dire need of a touch up. Did you just use exterior paint? Primer? Prep? Few different opinions on the interwebs. Would be interested in how you found doing it. And beer will make it easier. Can't cut your hand off with a paintbrush ...
Cheers
PP
You can fall off a ladder though:oops:

For prep, I pressure washed the crap out of it, hit it with a soft broom with some detergent and then washed it off again.

I started on the door with a couple of rollers, but the metal profile made that all kinds of painful.

From there I stepped up to a gravity feed spray gun, but that was better suited to automotive paint than house paint. It got the colour on there, but more of a splatter than a spray. That took hours and resulted in a fair bit of overspray, so I didn't relish doing the rest of the shed with it.

So I bit the bullet and bought a airless spray gun. It was much quicker and got a heap of colour on really quickly, down side is that it went through paint really quickly. I was moving the gun a bit slow, so got a few runs (almost as many as Bradman;)), but its a shed.
It could have probably been done with a 2.5" brush, but it was hot and I'm lazy.

Paint: British Paints 4 Seasons semi gloss exterior. Self priming on most surfaces, so cleaned it and put it straight on. Old colourbond gets a bit of texture happening, so the paint sticks to it pretty well. Both are colourbond colours to match the plans for the house, Basalt on the walls and Windspray on the door and gutters.
$65/4L at Bunnings and I'll end up using almost 4 cans for the 9x6m shed.

Grippy

Great work Lars.
I've got to make a mini sort of deck for the BBQ out the back and grab some steel plate to make some bash plates for the Grand Cherokee, however, we haven't been in lockdown yet, and still going to work.

Colly18

I've been in property/house 'fix-it' mode for the past few months, since moving north from down south. So I guess things are not going to change a lot for me/us with the coronavirus situation. Just more of the same - stuck at home fixing stuff and cursing about why previous owners never undertook the most basic property maintenance jobs. No kidding, I swear nearly every power point, tap washer and storm-water drain needed repair or replacement when we moved in. The thing is, I'd had enough a month ago and was hanging out for a break out bush, but it's not to be. So it will be more of 'same old, same old'.
But hey, that's what you get when you purchase a 'fixer-upper'er' :) I'm still smiling!
The brakes are also on with getting involved with local community groups of interest to us, unless we can work something online related.
On the positive side it means I'll get the place spic-n-span sooner rather than later. I am pretty well stocked up with hardware and vehicle servicing supplies, so as I get to jobs I'll post up a few pics.

slivertoy

Me, I'm still working, and still putting 1/2 finished projects on hold, but don't worry, when and if we go to shut down, the wife has a list as long as my arm, to finish off, i'll be busier then than now, ha ha ha

Albynsw

For prep, I pressure washed the crap out of it, hit it with a soft broom with some detergent and then washed it off again.

I started on the door with a couple of rollers, but the metal profile made that all kinds of painful.

From there I stepped up to a gravity feed spray gun, but that was better suited to automotive paint than house paint. It got the colour on there, but more of a splatter than a spray. That took hours and resulted in a fair bit of overspray, so I didn't relish doing the rest of the shed with it.

So I bit the bullet and bought a airless spray gun. It was much quicker and got a heap of colour on really quickly, down side is that it went through paint really quickly. I was moving the gun a bit slow, so got a few runs (almost as many as Bradman;)), but its a shed.
It could have probably been done with a 2.5" brush, but it was hot and I'm lazy.

Paint: British Paints 4 Seasons semi gloss exterior. Self priming on most surfaces, so cleaned it and put it straight on. Old colourbond gets a bit of texture happening, so the paint sticks to it pretty well. Both are colourbond colours to match the plans for the house, Basalt on the walls and Windspray on the door and gutters.
Which airless paint gun did you get? I have two and they have the round spray pattern and I don’t like them
Also did you need to dilute the enamel ?

dno67

Which airless paint gun did you get? I have two and they have the round spray pattern and I don’t like them
Also did you need to dilute the enamel ?
You will probably find that's a water based enamel, will be a lot thinner than a solvent based paint to start with.

MrPoopypants

Thanks mate, nice to hear what works first hand. Hmmm, airless - tempting. Sounds like a lot of "fun" working it out. Think I'll commit and jump in. Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers
PP