Change background image

What price would a second hand diesel engine for a 75 series land cruiser ute be?

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by AdrianSpence, Mar 5, 2014.

1. AdrianSpence

AdrianSpence Member

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 75 series ute, I was advised against buying though because it had 498 thousand on it.
    I was just wondering if buying the ute and putting a second hand engine in it would be a viable option?

The owner said that due to the fact that it doesn't blow any smoke and starts first time every time, he thinks it could have a reco engine in it, but I don't really want to buy it on a maybe.

The ute has a neat looking custom tray, and was made in 1995.
    He's asking 7, but said he'd do $6500, thats With 6 months rego, and no road worthy.

Am I crazy for even considering it?

I was told it'd cost too much to run, and if anything breaks it'll be too much to fix. Although the owner claims it gets 500 kms to a tank.

Thanks for any and all help or replies

2. bally

bally Banned

sounds good to me. run it till the engine dies then rebuild or swap another in.

3. bally

bally Banned

get a compression and leak down test done. that will tell you if the rings/liners are in good condition too

4. AdrianSpence

AdrianSpence Member

So if I can get him to do those tests, and it comes back ok, I should get it?
    Have you got any idea what I'd be looking at to get a second hand motor from someone wrecking one?

Cheers

5. AdrianSpence

AdrianSpence Member

I've asked if he could get the tests done, and get it looked over for a road worthy to see what it needs, and he said if he does those things, he won't budge from 7 grand.

Does anyone suggest still getting it?

6. tankbloke

tankbloke 4x4 Earth Contributer

Having those tests done and knowing exactly what you would be up for a RWC, could be worth the extra. Personally, I would want to know.