What lift for NT Pajero

tomthx

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to get some feedback from other NT 3.2 DiD owners out there regarding lift options.
After towing a Jayco 23' family road van on regular trips for the last 8 years we are trading it in for a 16"10' Nova Terra Sports 166-1C off road van. So I'm looking at upgrading the OEM shocks and Springs to be able to hitch up to the DO35 without requiring a WDH and head to some places out of the way....
I've been researching online, in forums and spoken to a few other NT owners and it seems like Bilstein B6's and Lovells HD are the most common combination. Can anyone suggest any other combinations? Also, I'm also looking to include either Polyairs or Firestone bags to the rear to help level it all out. So any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I only have a factory alloy nudge bar on the front at the moment but will be looking to upgrade that to a full bar later.

Finally, any preference for installers located near Castle Hill, NSW would be great.
Cheers,
Tom.

Toddyh

@underdog will install whatever you decide for a can of pepsi max.
Have a chat to the guys at Ultimate Suspension at Ingleburn. Only about 40 mins from you but will be able to give you advice as well as install.

underdog

I've had Bilstein shocks and Dobinson coils in my pajero for over 2yrs now. Highly recommend those. My car stays pretty much loaded and ready to go all the time (60L water tank, fridge, draws, recovery gear etc etc). I got the extra heavy duty coils on the front as I had an OL steel bar and winch. 200kg constant load in the rear. No issues. However when i replaced the bar with an ARB steel bar the front sagged a little. I compensated with spacers as I've been super impressed with the performance of the suspension otherwise. Might be worth keeping that in mind when making your suspension decisions.

@underdog will install whatever you decide for a can of pepsi max.
Have a chat to the guys at Ultimate Suspension at Ingleburn. Only about 40 mins from you but will be able to give you advice as well as install.
Hahahahahahaha true but still funny.
Since when did it go from a 1.25L down to a damn can?! Stingey bastards..

tomthx

I've had Bilstein shocks and Dobinson coils in my pajero for over 2yrs now. Highly recommend those. My car stays pretty much loaded and ready to go all the time (60L water tank, fridge, draws, recovery gear etc etc). I got the extra heavy duty coils on the front as I had an OL steel bar and winch. 200kg constant load in the rear. No issues. However when i replaced the bar with an ARB steel bar the front sagged a little. I compensated with spacers as I've been super impressed with the performance of the suspension otherwise. Might be worth keeping that in mind when making your suspension decisions.

Since when did it go from a 1.25L down to a damn can?! Stingey bastards..

I think I could cover the 1.25L. @underdog :)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will give Ingleburn guys a call.

@underdog, I have had a quote for the same setup you have, the B6's and Dobinson's but also Firestone airbags, so it's good to hear that you're happy with that combination after 2 years.

I was wondering what are the members thoughts on TJM XGS 4000 kits, tough dog and OME's? I've had identical quotes for the XGS and tough dogs.

Thanks again,
Tom.

hiluxdriver

I have a full ultimate kit in mine and have done a shit tonne more outback roads and am yet to blow a shock or do any other damage. Their after sales service is also superior for less than a box of Pepsi cans

tomthx

I have a full ultimate kit in mine and have done a shit tonne more outback roads and am yet to blow a shock or do any other damage. Their after sales service is also superior for less than a box of Pepsi cans

Hi Everyone,
I gave ultimate suspension a call yesterday and spoke to Ken. He was very helpful and I'm heading there tomorrow to have the NT checked out. I'll keep you posted on how things go.
Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Cheers.

tomthx

Hi Again,

Ok, I met Ken and had a chat and got a quote, which was a bit of a shock, pardon the pun. He also mentioned the ball weight limitation of the NT, ie. If your van is over 2.5t then the ball weight permitted by the specs drops to 180kg. This gave me some concerns as I don't expect the new van to be more then 2.5t full, but as it's a single axle the ball weight, going by others for sale online, could be anywhere between 230kg to 260kg.
Ken mentioned that if it's more than 250kg then it's not covered under insurance. This became a bigger concern but after looking around online some more I came across this option.

My insurance covers modified lifts but I was interested in others opinions if I went for this option and my ball weight is 260kg is 40kg head room enough or do I need to look for a new tug?
Also has anyone else had this done, and if so what are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom.

Peterng

Check in with the Victorian Pajero Club open forum, there is a few threads on their in regards to GVM upgrades for the Pajero.
It may be a case of trading in the Pajero and getting another vehicle to do the job, if you want to keep the van...

denmonkey

can't speak to the gvm upgrade but +1 what what underdog said.
Same set up here bilstein and lovell HD with 2inch lift.
winch bullbar, fridge storage , aux battery in rear, full set of plates underneath and tow a 17ft van loaded.
Happy with this choice and she gets a run off road now and then. Not real happy with the flex but that's the paj for you.
got mine from bushskinz and got the local to install for me.

Ziggy

Bilsteins on my MUX rear lasted about a year. Both blew a seal. Outback and High Country driving. Loading was well under the max.