Votes: 18 16.5%
  • All 4 Adventure

Votes: 57 52.3%
  • Your 4x4

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

discomatt

When we do long trips we have heaps of glass, never broken a single bottle, it is the moron factor that leave broken glass and rubbish, hence the need to no longer allowing free camping and enforcing a registration system throughout Australia. One country, one system @rogerazz has been vocal about the same idea for years, it will happen eventually the sooner the better in my opinion, we only have one planet and as much as I hate the idea on principle there is no option other than a massive cull of morons
Nearly every camping trip I collect rubbish from other campers, free camps in state forest along the Murry is the worst for it without question

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
When we do long trips we have heaps of glass, never broken a single bottle, it is the moron factor that leave broken glass and rubbish, hence the need to no longer allowing free camping and enforcing a registration system throughout Australia. One country, one system @rogerazz has been vocal about the same idea for years, it will happen eventually the sooner the better in my opinion, we only have one planet and as much as I hate the idea on principle there is no option other than a massive cull of morons
Nearly every camping trip I collect rubbish from other campers, free camps in state forest along the Murry is the worst for it without question
I agree @discomatt .
When I started camping in the Grampians back in the fifties there was no one around.
Even in later years when camping in the bush for three weeks or more we never saw another human.
Today we see thousands of humans.
We made it in with our Holden's, Fords and valiants.
Today we see thousands of 4wd's.
There has to be some decent control.
Rangers and more Rangers and we have to pay a yearly bush licence to fund it.
I have said it before .
We never saw the damage and destruction as bad as today because we now live in a different society. It's called a me me society.

Albynsw

I prefer drinking beer from glass and have more trouble with cans rubbing through and leaking than bottles breaking. The thing I don’t like with bottles is you don’t gain storage space or lose much weight when you consume them, cans are light and can be crushed. What is even worse with used bottles is you can’t store them back with your unused stock as your canopy smells of stale beer and your wheel rubbish bin fills up fast at camp :confused:

Rusty Panels

It's not the root cause but one issue I can see is the lack of recycling facilities in many areas. I only saw recycling bins in a couple of regions in Tassie. Everywhere else it went with the normal rubbish. The cash in a can and bottle seems to work in some areas. I reckon though that it should be extended to accept crushed cans after all that's the first thing they do to them when they're collected by the recycler. And the bottles should be any size after all glass is glass.

I agree @discomatt .
When I started camping in the Grampians back in the fifties there was no one around.
Even in later years when camping in the bush for three weeks or more we never saw another human.
Today we see thousands of humans.
We made it in with our Holden's, Fords and valiants.
Today we see thousands of 4wd's.
There has to be some decent control.
Rangers and more Rangers and we have to pay a yearly bush licence to fund it.
I have said it before .
We never saw the damage and destruction as bad as today because we now live in a different society. It's called a me me society.
I wouldn't be against some form of 'Camping Permit' system, akin to a fishing licence. Plenty of others would have a problem with it, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. The fishing licence scheme suffered huge push back from many people, but it's just accepted these days. I'd go further and suggest a new licencing class being added around 4wd's also. Much like a motorbike licence is tested and approved separately to a standard car licence. Might weed out some of the yobbos that give us all a bad name.

I'd be especially fine with it if the money went towards funding Rangers. They're already massively underfunded and hopelessly short of resources to police and maintain recreational areas.

As to the glass bottle/cans issues. I prefer to drink from glass too, and I guess it's not an issue if you're a responsible camper like many here are. I just find glass to be one of my biggest issues when camping. I can walk around and pick up a bunch of empty beer cans, but I've had to abandon more campsites than I can count due to shattered and broken glass. But like some of you have pointed out, it's only the pissed-up bogans that cause this issue. And I'm not sure what can be done about that.

I know we all have similar views on this, but I can never understand the type of person who makes an effort to get to a beautiful location and says to themselves, "Let's trash the joint".

boobook

The thing that really gets me is burned and dumped camp chairs.

I have a rule that I take as much of other people's rubbish as I can fit, but these are bulky and messy. Difficult to take home after others.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
My opinion is not to make a camping permit required to go bush but to actually make it that a bush Permit is required when driving on tracks in the bush, like State and National Parks especially.
People not carrying a current permit will be prosecuted, including fines, confiscation of vehicles, equipment, etc., whatever is required to enforce the rules. Pretty sure the decent people would be happy to pay for a permit knowing that many bogans wont and if they do and break rules then stiff.
Here are my comments which I have posted up before over the past many years.

"My prediction, from a bloke who has camped in a lot of Victoria, along rivers, creeks, swamps, oceans, high country, summer, winter, whatever since 1952 (about sixty eight years). ( make that seventy years now).
1. As time goes by there will be many more tracks, places, etc. closed to 4wd's forever .
2. This is due to the incredible large numbers of people now going out there finding easy access with a fourby.
3. The millions of dollars to be had by sellers of 4wd's and their equipment as well as all the camping shit.
4. There are many, no a bloody lot, who believe some things done by others are wrong but when it comes to them it is a different set of rules.
5. Many people who go bush have no idea about looking after the bush as much as looking after themselves and don't give a stuff about the rules and regulations.
6. The only way to stop more closures happening is to have authorities policing the whole thing. That is Rangers, Parks officers, etc. with the authority to not only fine but confiscate vehicles, equipment, etc. (like fisheries) and to have lots of them out there patrolling, educating, etc, at all times.
7. The only way this can or will happen is if the real fair dinkum 4wd community pay for it.
There you go, I said it again. I have advocated for years now, an annual permit (whatever it costs) , that all 4wdérs must hold to go bush and this would pay for those required to enforce the rules. Please don't bring up, "we pay taxes", "it is the government responsibility", "I do the right thing", "only a few bad ones", etc. You can procrastinate until the cows come home, in the meantime more closures will happen. .
Whew! there, got it out again.".

boobook

My opinion is not to make a camping permit required to go bush but to actually make it that a bush Permit is required when driving on tracks in the bush, like State and National Parks especially.
People not carrying a current permit will be prosecuted, including fines, confiscation of vehicles, equipment, etc., whatever is required to enforce the rules. Pretty sure the decent people would be happy to pay for a permit knowing that many bogans wont and if they do and break rules then stiff.
Here are my comments which I have posted up before over the past many years.

"My prediction, from a bloke who has camped in a lot of Victoria, along rivers, creeks, swamps, oceans, high country, summer, winter, whatever since 1952 (about sixty eight years). ( make that seventy years now).
1. As time goes by there will be many more tracks, places, etc. closed to 4wd's forever .
2. This is due to the incredible large numbers of people now going out there finding easy access with a fourby.
3. The millions of dollars to be had by sellers of 4wd's and their equipment as well as all the camping shit.
4. There are many, no a bloody lot, who believe some things done by others are wrong but when it comes to them it is a different set of rules.
5. Many people who go bush have no idea about looking after the bush as much as looking after themselves and don't give a stuff about the rules and regulations.
6. The only way to stop more closures happening is to have authorities policing the whole thing. That is Rangers, Parks officers, etc. with the authority to not only fine but confiscate vehicles, equipment, etc. (like fisheries) and to have lots of them out there patrolling, educating, etc, at all times.
7. The only way this can or will happen is if the real fair dinkum 4wd community pay for it.
There you go, I said it again. I have advocated for years now, an annual permit (whatever it costs) , that all 4wdérs must hold to go bush and this would pay for those required to enforce the rules. Please don't bring up, "we pay taxes", "it is the government responsibility", "I do the right thing", "only a few bad ones", etc. You can procrastinate until the cows come home, in the meantime more closures will happen. .
Whew! there, got it out again.".

Some kind of 4wd or Camping permit is a good idea. And make it expensive too. Fund the parks properly.

discomatt

Some kind of 4wd or Camping permit is a good idea. And make it expensive too. Fund the parks properly.
Make it expensive?? Sorry can't agree with that because all that would do is create even more division between the have and have not, just the shear numbers involved it wouldn't be that much to create a lot of revenue.
There is already so much difference between those who can afford lifes simple pleasures and those who can not, to remove the opportunity of those who have low income to access the bush is morally wrong IMO

boobook

Make it expensive?? Sorry can't agree with that because all that would do is create even more division between the have and have not, just the shear numbers involved it wouldn't be that much to create a lot of revenue.
There is already so much difference between those who can afford lifes simple pleasures and those who can not, to remove the opportunity of those who have low income to access the bush is morally wrong IMO
I didn't mean prohibitive. I'm talking about enough for users to fund some maintenance. Same as a couple of tanks of petrol per annum. $200 a year or something. Abuse it and loose it.

It works great for fishing licences in Vic, and has funded boat ramps, stocking of millions of fish and increased Patrols.

No one can honestly say they can afford a 4wd but can't afford $200 a year.

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

The day will come when most land is locked up because of such bogans - to perhaps use a bad example: a permit system like SOME of the Gun Laws and other recognised recreational Clubs: registered owners of certain categories of vehicles/with listed characteristics must be a member of a recognised Club, the Club via National bodies then handles codes of conduct/ethics, offers Public Liability/Personal Insurance as part of membership, and the bonus is, Clubs are more likely to get into privately owned remote areas because land owners know they are part of a larger organisation and traceable if something goes wrong - the main issue is the insurance thing.

If I was a large land owner and someone wanted access to hunt, fish, camp, etc, I'd want to know what type of person they are and what insurance they have so I can't be sued - only Club coverage ticks those boxes.

Also, such Clubs are run by volunteers with Rules & Regulations and a full democratically elected Committee - that's critical to keep it balanced, avoid profiteering, and political aspirations ... unlike much of the gun mob.

Cost? Probably no more than $50-$100 per year, which gets you Public Liability/Personal Insurance, access to 'closed areas', opportunity to learn new/improved skills, make new friends with common interests - all win/win ... except if you are a polluting bogan or someone who doesn't need a dedicated 4WD in the first instance i.e. those people who think it's safer to pick up the kids and go shopping and then need to get value for money by camping now and then ... leaving nappies and glass at places.

monk2

Hi Guys I go to a caravan park in Mansfield a lot these days and do day trips, and some of the 4bys that get in there as a group they make a lot of noise and leave a mess after them hence we all pitch in and try to keep it clean the managers of the park are great people and they try to keep it a peaceful place for family's and pets
I have not gone free camping for some time now as do not feel safe you get some not to sure what to call them but they make a lot of noise at night drink heeps of booze and drive there 4bys like they stole it, you look at the way there 4bys are set up and they have spent big buck's on them and donothing but tear the place up and if you go over and sort of say come fellers this place is for all to enjoy and feel safe in they want to have a war with you and userally there is about four or more of them, to go free camping these day's you need to go in a group to feel safe and at nearlly 68 I donot need all that just want to camp and enjoy and bring my own mess home with me just my 2 cents worth monks

Mick_Marsh

Hi Guys I go to a caravan park in Mansfield a lot these days and do day trips, and some of the 4bys that get in there as a group they make a lot of noise and leave a mess after them hence we all pitch in and try to keep it clean the managers of the park are great people and they try to keep it a peaceful place for family's and pets
I have not gone free camping for some time now as do not feel safe you get some not to sure what to call them but they make a lot of noise at night drink heeps of booze and drive there 4bys like they stole it, you look at the way there 4bys are set up and they have spent big buck's on them and donothing but tear the place up and if you go over and sort of say come fellers this place is for all to enjoy and feel safe in they want to have a war with you and userally there is about four or more of them, to go free camping these day's you need to go in a group to feel safe and at nearlly 68 I donot need all that just want to camp and enjoy and bring my own mess home with me just my 2 cents worth monks
Geez, you're a rough lot out in hillbilly country.
I have no concerns when I go camping. There are some people who do litter the bush, though.

Your post immediately made me think of this thread:

monk2

Geez, you're a rough lot out in hillbilly country.
I have no concerns when I go camping. There are some people who do litter the bush, though.

Your post immediately made me think of this thread:
it only takes a handfull to destroy it for eveybody, have had no probs with the local constabulary but it can get a bit busy with the out side additives up there don't stand out and nobody see's you ;)