Votes: 18 16.5%
  • All 4 Adventure

Votes: 57 52.3%
  • Your 4x4

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LongRoad2Go

Obviously, when this thread was created, the World hadn’t heard of COVID-19 and its family of mutants. Like many others, over the last (22) months I’ve been binging on 4X4 YouTube videos just to keep some measure if sanity.

In that time, most of these guys have really changed their business models: some don’t have a ‘real job’ or it’s been curtailed by the shutdowns, while others had the video thing as side-projects. Now it seems most are going full bore streaming to keep people interested, taking advantage of the travel restrictions, increased audiences, and the sponsorship that follows ... shaking that money maker for all it’s worth!

I’ve seen most of the smaller guys 'sell out', now flogging all sorts of gear with inter-related colleagues/collaborators. Their so-called ‘reviews’ skewed by commercial interests.

Disclaimer - I was raised on Malcolm Douglas, Leyland Brothers, Jack Absalom, Ben Cropp, Ron & Valerie Taylor, and Harry Butler. So that’s pretty stiff competition. I expect credible information, hopefully learning something unexpected, and not manufactured situation bullshit.

So, IMO (with some humour):

1. Pat Callinan: not really a fan. Flogs a lot of stuff and has a strange ‘softly/softly’ approach – like comparing UK’s podgy Ray Mears to Malcolm Douglas.
  2. Top of Down Under: never seen this before. Just viewed the website and the chick doing the introduction spiel … yeah, nah, maybe.
  3. 4WDTV: never seen it, so will need to check it out.
  4. All 4 Adventure: can’t stand these guys, I mean, these 'BLOKES' … while I spit, scratch the nuts, snort and knock back a VB with butt crack showing. Where’s a starving crocodile when you need one?!
  5. Your 4x4: never seen it, but looks okay.
  6. 4WD Action: with Shauno & Grahamo … less said the better. 50 minutes of yobbo bullshit, 10 minutes of something about something maybe. Obviously these clowns get paid by the word … and there are way too many of them spoken in over-the-top-bogan fashion. Frankly, if I had to share a campsite with these dickheads, they may end up in shallow graves.
  7. Ronny Dahl: not a bad show. Useful information. He is personable and has a good format, but is starting to 'sell out'.
  8. Andrew St Pierre White: knowledgeable, but, sheez Dude, take a Valium. Opinionated and tends to stuff his website with older videos when there’s nothing happening in his 4WD life. I suggest his frustration stems from an inability to decide whether he’s South African, English, or now Australian. Maybe take another Valium and don’t give a rats.
  9. Fire To Fork: a 4X4 cooking bloke who couldn’t organise his shit if his life depended on it. Also, likes to have a dog sniffing around the food preparation table a bit too much. Another ‘channel’ where 50 minutes of chatter could be condensed into less than 15 minutes with coherent and concise scripting. Make sure you take cholesterol tablets before viewing.
  10. Roothy: ah, good old ‘Flogger’. If he’s not flogging a very old 4WD along boggy tracks, he’s flogging some shit to spray on/in/under the vehicle, or, certain vehicle makes. Sometimes the grinning and mumbling old codger routine works. He’s the old coot you invite to the BBQ just for shits-and-giggles. Whatever you do though, NEVER let him cook – quite literally a dogs breakfast.
  11. The Western Mafia – yes, there’s a fair bit of cousin-on-cousin loving happening in WA: Ronny, Fire to Fork, Andrew St Pierre White, and a German bloke who likes lithium and electricity. Although it’s nice to see they don’t suffer unrequited love, when they get together, it feels like a 4WD cartel.
  12. John Cadogan – not specifically 4WD, more like a consumer advocate for car buyers – a politically incorrect version of Choice magazine. Knows his stuff and typically only flogs over-priced torches. Very tight scripting, often sarcastically funny, but does go off on ‘nether region’ jokes a bit too often. Worth watching for the entertainment and educational value.
Yeah, I know, it's all 'Horses for Courses'. None of the above are 100% perfect, who is right? I tend to cherry-pick and skip through their respective videos when the banter gets too much off topic … except for Shauno and Grahamo who never seem to know if there is a topic or, in fact, a point to their 'Yeah, Mate', 'Yeah, Mate', 'Yeah, Mate' mutually agreed towel flicking, friends with benefits, BS.

It has been a LOOOONG (22) months, needed to get this frustration off my chest ... mission accomplished!

SuperSteve

Their advice is often wrong, misleading and shameless advertising of their sponsors gear. I used to enjoy it but watching them go to Fraser Island and Cape York 8 times a year and only change the stuff they're trying to sell with each episode gets boring.

I do like Graham cahills solo stuff though.
I watched an episode recently, and they pulled out a brand new drifta firepit to cook over. Commented how they don't know how many times it's saved them.

Well... never because they've literally never used one before?

I'll still watch it because infomercials about products I might be interested in can still be useful.

sharkcaver

To be honest, I'm far more interested in the destinations these days than who is going there. The presenters can just get annoying sometimes. There are so many Youtubers to choose from I tend to bypass the main stream ones. If I hear "livin the dream", or any other catch phrases during the video then I punish them by not watching for a long time. Tyler Thompson is still a favourite because of his no nonsense easy going style although I liked him better when he wasn't full time on Youtube. Stephan Fischer from All Offroad Adventures puts on a good show most of the time as well. He does touring in one car and technical in another.
Having said that, I really enjoy watching people who put together videos simply because they want to and not for any real commercial gain. @sharkcaver on here seems to be a fine example. There should be more of that in the world and less commercial bull crap trying to flog something. But if @sharkcaver starts selling merchandise then..... :)

aww, shucks, thanks Mike.

me selling merch....aint going to happen, so rest easy brother.

Unless you have some good tips for merch I could flog :p

itlldoo

aww, shucks, thanks Mike.

me selling merch....aint going to happen, so rest easy brother.

Unless you have some good tips for merch I could flog :p
here you go mate....lol
1639474829439.png
i can see a shity tour on one side & sharkcaver on the other mate !

linuxfan66

[*]All 4 Adventure: can’t stand these guys, I mean, these 'BLOKES' … while I spit, scratch the nuts, snort and knock back a VB with butt crack showing. Where’s a starving crocodile when you need one?!

[*]4WD Action: with Shauno & Grahamo … less said the better. 50 minutes of yobbo bullshit, 10 minutes of something about something maybe. Obviously these clowns get paid by the word … and there are way too many of them spoken in over-the-top-bogan fashion. Frankly, if I had to share a campsite with these dickheads, they may end up in shallow graves.

do you really wish to kill All 4WD Action Adventure?

how do you rate patriot games, Aussie Arvos, built not bought?

Last edited:

LongRoad2Go

do you really wish to kill All 4WD Action Adventure?

how do you rate patriot games, Aussie Arvos, built not bought?

Not that my opinion matters at all:

But, I'd rather watch one minute of All 4WD Adventure than one second of 4WD Action. However, they do share striking similarities ... just like old LC radios, both shows have two knobs.

Also, I never said 'kill' anyone i.e. shallow graves and crocodiles doesn't necessarily mean death. ;)

Patriot Games - one very long infomercial.
Aussie Arvo's - only seen a few shows. Seems okay.
Built Not Bought - entertaining and informative.

After listing all the shows, and there are undoubtedly many more, for a relatively small population it's REALLY obvious we're inundated with 4WD shows here in Oz. You'd think the major car manufacturers - looking at YOU Toyota, Land Rover, etc - would be a bit more enthusiastic given that many in Africa and the USA look to us for ideas and innovations.

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers
I normally won't/don't respond to things like poles on any of the internet forums I am subscribed to, but this particular subject has me giving an opinion and only because I was contacted by a very good mate who just happens to live in Queensland and close to one of the " All 4 Adventure" blokes.
I must straight off say, my mate has spent time with me here in the Pilbara and that's what actually prompted his phone contact on Sunday.

The conversation went something like this, only minus the expletives.

G'day mate, are you watching tele, free to air crap? says my mate Ian.

Nah, got too much going on right now and it's a tad cooler outside under the Cruiser even on a 45 degree day.

You took me into a waterhole called Stewarts, eh? asks Ian.

Sure did mate, say me.

Well, there are these two Blokes being shown in to Stewarts by a Newman Local, a local it's not You is it mate?
Nah, mate, who are the they again ~ I ask?

The two blokes from here in Queensland, blurts Ian, you know the ones, always hi fiving each other over anything they manage to do, towing big arse trailers and caravans all over the place while they flog shit to the viewers, come on mate you must know of them?

I had a little moment of thought, the asked if it might be the show where the Blokes carry on like a pair of Tossers, catching fish and being best mates with everyone they come across and one of them likes to carry heavy shit wearing Flip Flops ------ Yep there the ones says Ian.

Sorry mate, not a real fan of anything 'Dumb and Dumber' manage to do or put on tele, suppose they'll be selling Thin Lizzy hair remover creams and eye make up and cooking shit in a Harvey Norman Air fryer, but wait there's more, but only if your one of the first 2000 callers using the secret pass word 'CRAP' ~ and only just because we are all liberated and accepting these days, apparently!

" Well Folkes" I buckled and caught the last few minutes of the 'All 4 Adventure' BCFing show, then as bad as luck can be, the BCFing show was repeated the same afternoon, just after Mr 4WD himself wowed the viewers with his must have four wheel drive accessories and stuff just to go some place he likes to drive to and make himself a Jam Tart.

The Queenslanders FAILED to reach Stewarts Pool by a long shot, the Local Bloke ( not someone I know ) should have known better, but more to the point, these 'Tosser Blokes' are in my opinion genuinely doing the wrong thing and putting it forward to the viewing audience as something that's " All 4Adventure" ~ No it's Not all 4 adventure, it's all for television.

The waterhole they reached, just to show them skipping stones across the water is 'Otto's Pool' ~ it is on the Kalgan Creek water course, above Stewart's Pool and well above Kalgan Pool up in the Ohpthalmia Range(s) Mr Stewart Otto named the pools some 40 years ago.

I was back under the Land Cruiser, greasing uni joints and checking things over before I head out on an real Pilbara Adventure.

Safe Travels : Joe Fury

Last edited:

sharkcaver

I was back under the Land Cruiser, greasing uni joints and checking things over before I head out on an real Pilbara Adventure.
You lucky bastard.

When I come up next year (August again), you me and the mrs are going out. First to Mr Rums memorial, secondly to Stewarts pool. I will be in touch ;)

I really have to pull a finger out and start editing my Pilbara series from earlier this year. There may even be a surprise interview in there somewhere. And you thought the all 4 adventure boys were crap.....lol. Wait till my Pilbara series lands.

Whilst you wait for that:

20210826_110325.jpg

:respect:

Last edited:

Joe Fury

You lucky bastard.

When I come up next year (August again), you me and the mrs are going out. First to Mr Rums memorial, secondly to Stewarts pool. I will be in touch ;)

I really have to pull a finger out and start editing my Pilbara series from earlier this year. There may even be a surprise interview in there somewhere. And you thought the all 4 adventure boys were crap.....lol. Wait till my Pilbara series lands.

Whilst you wait for that:

View attachment 72677

:respect:
G'day Shane

You've been very quiet since your wander through the Pilbara, thanks for the kind words regarding the Hickman Crater by the way.

So how is it that I am 'Lucky' all of a sudden. What do you know that I don't know?

Happy to show you in to Stewart's Pool, but only if you really want too, bend or break your vehicle.

Mr RUM's pinnacle ~ No worries.

Safe Travels : Joe F

sharkcaver

G'day Shane

You've been very quiet since your wander through the Pilbara, thanks for the kind words regarding the Hickman Crater by the way.

So how is it that I am 'Lucky' all of a sudden. What do you know that I don't know?

Happy to show you in to Stewart's Pool, but only if you really want too, bend or break your vehicle.

Mr RUM's pinnacle ~ No worries.

Safe Travels : Joe F
Yes I have been a bit quiet. Unfortunately I've had a few dramas to contend with since I returned. Hopefully I've kicked the bastard black dog.
Re Hickman, credit where credit is due.
Lucky - cause here I sit in the big smoke while you sweat your nurries off in spinifex and iron country. I have made a few attempts to get up there in the last couple of months, but the big 4 must have seen my Pilbara calendar, worried I will do a Cher shot on the coupler of a loco.

hmm if Stewarts is like that, I do have feet ;)

All the best to you and yours for xmas.

On top of WA: Mt Meharry. And you question your luckiness??

DJI_0738.jpg

LongRoad2Go

Looks like a few of the WA YouTube sites have now sold-out to the TV slippery slope ... money. Wonder how long before they start promoting sponsors gear like all the others, then quickly become irrelevant, try to revert back to YouTube, seen as sell-outs, and die?

linuxfan66

Looks like a few of the WA YouTube sites have now sold-out to the TV slippery slope ... money. Wonder how long before they start promoting sponsors gear like all the others, then quickly become irrelevant, try to revert back to YouTube, seen as sell-outs, and die?

he runs a tourism business, time intensive trip filming, etc. i cannot fault him for making money. especially having spent a whole week with the man. its not selling out when you still get to do what you love. (that and youtube ad revenue has gone so low at this point he has to take any measures he must)

Rusty Panels

I'd like to see one that shows all the toilet paper, cans, bottles and other crap left behind by dirtbags who buy 4wd's and then defile some of the beautiful areas we all love to visit.
Some of the (actually ALL of the) areas I've been through over the years have had rubbish left behind or been defaced with graffiti in some manner.

On our recent Tassie trip we had a young couple camp nearby in a late model 4x4 ute fitted with a roof top tent and all the goodies. They had surfboards and snorkelling gear and looked to be nature loving types. They only stayed the night and were gone by about 10 am. I took the opportunity to send the drone up and film the area before anyone else chose their spot to camp. The grubs had left their rubbish scattered about the site along with a pile of toilet paper. There are decent flushing toilets a couple of hundred metres from this camp so there's no excuses.
We took additional rubbish out from every place we camped at thanks to grubs.
It's no wonder they close tracks off from the public.

The bogan presenters on some of the above mentioned shows should do an exposé on the subject and focus on the filth being left for the future generations to enjoy. Being that their shows are aimed at the type of bogan who is more than likely the root cause of the problem it may actually help.

smitty_r51

@Rusty Panels that is a great idea, these presenters are in a great position to highlight the issue and show people the responsible way to do it
4wd247 have done that few times and they are amongst the most bogan

Showed the mess and the clean up.

Doesn't seem to make much difference. Doesn't matter if it took 2 hours or 2 days to get to a campsite I can guarantee within 10 minutes of setting up you will find broken glass and toilet paper left by the last people at the camp.

Rusty Panels

you will find broken glass and toilet paper left by the last people at the camp.
Broken glass is a worry. I would be so pissed off if one of my party was injured as a result of a glass cut. I know it doesn't take long for nasty infections to set in when you're camping.

I reckon these conservation departments should do spot checks when people are exiting these areas and asking "Where is your bag of rubbish?" and when they have none, frog march them back to the campsite and make them clean it up.

Broken glass is a worry. I would be so pissed off if one of my party was injured as a result of a glass cut. I know it doesn't take long for nasty infections to set in when you're camping.

I reckon these conservation departments should do spot checks when people are exiting these areas and asking "Where is your bag of rubbish?" and when they have none, frog march them back to the campsite and make them clean it up.
Agreed. Any type of rubbish is annoying and frustrating but broken glass is the absolute worst. Most stuff you can walk around and pick up and chuck in your rubbish bag. I mean you shouldn't have to, but unfortunately that's often the case. Smashed beer bottles though, there's not a lot you can do. I pick up the larger pieces as best I can but you could spend a whole weekend just fishing shards of glass out of fireplaces.

I seriously don't understand why people take beer in bottles camping anyway. Who wants to deal with potential broken beer bottles in their fridges, and then you can't compress them like you can with a can when they're empty. Beer bottles and camping don't mix, at least for me. A bottle of nice scotch on the otherhand, I can make an argument for.