What is this squeal?

Rusty Panels

I'm disappointed noone has brought in any suggestions involving duct tape, fencing wire or a gas axe!
Last resort stuff mate!

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 11.30.55.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 11.32.01.png

You can't be too prepared!

MrPoopypants

Ha ha. (not about your expense!) Did he roll his eyes??? Told you we should have video conferenced it over beers, could have overhauled the whole car without finding the issue ...
Could be worse. Now to get on with polishing my tow ball ...
PP

Petunia

OK, and the winner is.........No-one ;)

Alternator bearings my mechanic just said after listening for 2 seconds. Due to have them replaced next week. $200-ish.
No, sorry, he is wrong, this is the internet, and I am an expert. [total tongue in cheek cabin fever] :cool:

discomatt

OK, and the winner is.........No-one ;)

Alternator bearings my mechanic just said after listening for 2 seconds. Due to have them replaced next week. $200-ish.
I told you bearing in the 3rd post...
over 10 years in the automotive industry, owned more than 30 cars of all makes and models plus about 15 years of LR ownership you do learn one or two things ;)

Ha ha. (not about your expense!) Did he roll his eyes??? Told you we should have video conferenced it over beers, could have overhauled the whole car without finding the issue ...
Could be worse. Now to get on with polishing my tow ball ...
PP

Would have found a sh*tload of other issues though, that I don't want to even know about :D

I told you bearing in the 3rd post...
over 10 years in the automotive industry, owned more than 30 cars of all makes and models plus about 15 years of LR ownership you do learn one or two things ;)

Yeah, ok, maybe. Was he specific enough people? Half a cigar perhaps? ;)

Got to say, I've heard a few slipping belts & it does not really sound like that.

Anyhow, the real question now is, when the alternator is fixed, will it then do more than 60 up a half-decent hill? And will the plumes of black soot lessen?

Sorry guys but check my original post!!! I said could be alternator bearings. Don't apologise, just PM me for my direct deposit details! :D

Yeah, sorry I missed that. As soon as people started talking bearings, I started seeing $ signs and ran out of the room screaming. So Discomatt can send you his half a cigar when it arrives.

Mind you, my mechanic could be wrong (though he usually is not)....so stay tuned until next Wed.

Rusty Panels

Yeah, sorry I missed that. As soon as people started talking bearings, I started seeing $ signs and ran out of the room screaming. So Discomatt can send you his half a cigar when it arrives.

Mind you, my mechanic could be wrong (though he usually is not)....so stay tuned until next Wed.
It is definitely bearing noise although you can't really pinpoint anything from video.

It's not a hard job to replace a couple of alternator bearings although if they're originals you might need to press the old ones off. The bearings themselves are less than $10 each so there's $20. I would ask him to check if it needs new brushes in the alternator while it's apart. Might cost an extra $40 or so but could save you another couple of hundred down the track.

Good luck with the job. Hope we're right and that he can keep the price down for you.

Cheers, :)

Post script. Job done, $350, brushes were still ok. Bearing was completely seized! Said he had a bit of trouble sourcing one at present.

For the past 5-10yrs, I've been getting a burning oil smell if I drove it for more than about 30mins. I thought it was just a small leak onto the exhaust somewhere. This smell has now disappeared. There is an oil feed through the alternator apparently, so I guess this bearing was getting very hot, hence the smell.

Amazing the old girl just kept chugging along with the alternator like this.