What is the white build up on my battery posts?

zoom

G'day all,
some advice on why you can find white build up around battery terminals ? I know 1 way to fix it (if only temporarily) bicarb. But , the ultimate Question can it be stopped dead in it's tracks without return.
Thanks for your imput every one

Fox Shooter

Zoom the corrosion is caused by the battery breathing when charging giving off fumes. At my last work when I was maintaining UPS systems, the best we found is made by Holts called Korode Kure in a orange tube. First disconnect the battery and wash the terminals and connections down with hot water to get ride of the build up then wire brush them, and wash down with hot water again. When dry smear the Korode Kure over the terminals and connections then re-connect. After this treatment we never had problems again I also have done this to the batterys in my patrol and no corrosion problems. I have seen this stuff for sale in Autobarn and Supercheap or try your local auto sparky.
Rossco

Last edited:

Pure Yobbo

I also found that when you top the battery right up it tends to happen more often.

I have found that CRC battery terminal spray stuff (comes out yellow) seems to work a treat.

I have found boiling water gets rid of it.

This is just how I do it - i'm sure others will have other methods.

Cheers

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've always used vaseline. Pretty sure it works, but once a year, or may be two, probably needs doing again.

grit

Vaseline.

clean posts with wire brush or emery paper - apply Vaseline & refit terminals.

from then on, the usual liberal spray of silicone under the bonnet to keep it looking new and to make it real easy to gerni the mud (or dust) off after every outing. Give a little attention to the terminals (silicone spray) and its a thing of the past. Its all in the preparation.

I also use silicone spray under the guards (occasionally) and on exposed mechanicals, the mud literally falls off instantly when pressure washed.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
What about on the steering knuckles. A mate suggested this to me last night up at the pool. He has a Maverick and just had to have the seals replaced. A mechanic told me to not grease them on the outside because it just picks up the dirt and dust. He said just to use degreaser to keep them clean and dry. Then my mate suggested using silicone spray. Sounds good, would you agree?

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Kenny Koala! Thats another job to add to the list. But good to know its worth doing and will work!

zoom

Thanks all for the input , sorry I took soooooooo long to give thanks , have been watching site , but honestly been slack

grit

What about on the steering knuckles. A mate suggested this to me last night up at the pool. He has a Maverick and just had to have the seals replaced. A mechanic told me to not grease them on the outside because it just picks up the dirt and dust. He said just to use degreaser to keep them clean and dry. Then my mate suggested using silicone spray. Sounds good, would you agree?

While Silicon Spray does attract small particles it would be minimal compared to grease or lanolin and would clean off easily.

drivesafe

I do a lot of electrical work around vehicles and by far the best treatment for battery terminals is lanolin spray.

It’s good for any 12 volt electrical connections that are exposed to the elements, it can also be used as a lubricant metal and plastic hinges and other joints. Great stuff for stopping plastic joints from squeaking.

It will also stop rust occurring on exposed metal and where rusting has already begun, it will stop it going any further.

The best lanolin spray I’ve found is the stuff Briggs & Stratton market, you can get it from most lawn mower outlets.

The trick with lanolin is to spray it on and then let it dry for few days, it then gives a dry air tight seal on things like battery terminals.

Jarh73

Vaseline works a treat, I find that you put it on it looks kinda messy but with the under bonnet heat it melts and smooths its self out and you can hardly tell it is there.

Cheers

Justin

Croozer

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I work with forklifts and cranes and the best thing I have found is what Yobbo suggested. We use a spray and it keeps the build up away for a good period of time. It is nearly impossable to stop permantly. With good regular battery maintinance it can be no problem what so ever.