What is legal in your state?

ashtown01

I,d like to know has anyone been pulled up or fined or refused insurance claims due to lift or tyres?

I was pulled up for a breath test in Licola (of all places) at 11pm, but said nothing of the over sized tyres, or the empty!:)

we had a patrol with us 35's big lift all the usual monster truck stuff and nothing said.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
:eek:
I,d like to know has anyone been pulled up or fined or refused insurance claims due to lift or tyres?

I was pulled up for a breath test in Licola (of all places) at 11pm, but said nothing of the over sized tyres, or the empty!:)

we had a patrol with us 35's big lift all the usual monster truck stuff and nothing said.

I reckon an insurance claim being dismissed due to illegal modifications would be my biggest concern in that case.

Typically Police on a specific duty won't bother unless you start getting cute with them - then look out :eek:

cheers

muc the truck

Is it me or the money spent drawing up the NCORP been a total waste of time and money because state goverments don't co operate and use it .

muc the truck

North of Cairns not far from the Daintree ferry police often fine the big foots coming back from the cape , they do it again north of Townsville . So much so that many Townsville 4x4 owners that go north to play in the mud often change there tyres out in the bush when they get there and again before leave to come home. I couldn't be bothered so I just fit the very biggest legal on my rims.

random breath test most of the time there a quoater and the cops cant leave the site until they use up all the testers unless goingto another location tp do the same. If its a hot day your luckier because all they will want to do is get out of the sun.

as for 35s on a patrol and paying for insurance they would probably take your money the entire time , say nothing and as its the owners responsibility to keep a car with in the law but I imagine if you rolled it 4wd driving they would probably say, hang on those tyres are not legal we are not paying .

Last edited:

ashtown01

might be different here in Vic regarding springing 4wders, the cops up in the high country weren't going for quoaters, keeping in mind this was a fair way out of town, maybe the city slickers do as they have the volume. I think there might be an understanding with the local cops and 4wdrivers, at least where we go this seems to be the case, as long as your not being a dick its all good. cheers

muc the truck

might be different here in Vic regarding springing 4wders, the cops up in the high country weren't going for quoaters, keeping in mind this was a fair way out of town, maybe the city slickers do as they have the volume. I think there might be an understanding with the local cops and 4wdrivers, at least where we go this seems to be the case, as long as your not being a dick its all good. cheers

I think you may have misunder stood me . when I mean quotters for random breath test I meant they get given 400 breathaizer mouth pieces and there staying put out in the sun until they used them up so there fore if its stinking hot they will be more interested in using up those 400 mouth pieces.

as for Townsville and cairns they just do a muddy 4x4 blitz and pull over all the bikes and old cars too.

ashtown01

I think you may have misunder stood me . when I mean quotters for random breath test I meant they get given 400 breathaizer mouth pieces and there staying put out in the sun until they used them up so there fore if its stinking hot they will be more interested in using up those 400 mouth pieces.

as for Townsville and cairns they just do a muddy 4x4 blitz and pull over all the bikes and old cars too.

I understood ur comment re quoters.

phs

The thing is insurance company's can if they wish Decline a claim if the car is unroadworthy , and adding them to the policy is not a green card actually more chance they may decide to look into it .

Next thing is working out sizes. is it by the tyre manufactures OD specs for there tyre or the stated size on the tyre wall ?

I'm lead to believe it is the size written on the tyre side wall and the size on your sticker located in the door jam.

bally

Banned
Qld is 50mm bigger suspension 50mm body lift and 50mm bigger tyres. Body lift needs to be approved by main roads though.

Frankensurf

Are you sure in that? I thought it was 50mm max using any of those methods
'Ross and Cher' put a link to the Qld reg's back on page 2 of this thread. They include the following:

Vehicle lifts that do not exceed 75mm, and are achieved by modification of the suspension and fitting of alternate tyres and rims only (do not include a body lift) do not require certification under the LS9 code. Any person performing this type of modification must ensure the modified vehicle meets all the technical requirements of the LS9 and LS10 sections of this code, however no formal certification or lane change test is required.

ross and cher

You'd want to check out the body lift as well - I probably wont be able to find it again, but something I read somewhere gave the impression that there was little scope in Qld for engineers certs as well

Swaggie

This state to state business drives me nuts, I thought Australia was one unified country. Every law that's passed should automatically be across the board fullstop, if small tweaks have to be made from state to state well so be it, not Queensland's bought in a Law and Victoria's thinking about it..... Cross the border and you could be in strife... You should be able to drive around Australia and basically all the laws are the same..

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
This state to state business drives me nuts, I thought Australia was one unified country. Every law that's passed should automatically be across the board fullstop, if small tweaks have to be made from state to state well so be it, not Queensland's bought in a Law and Victoria's thinking about it..... Cross the border and you could be in strife... You should be able to drive around Australia and basically all the laws are the same..

What !, logical and uniform laws , where would be the excitement in that !!, I ask you ?:D

ross and cher

That is why it was supposed to be NCOP ... but why let common sense get in the way of political/bureaucratic egos when we can have QCOP ... :D