What is legal in your state?

Patriot

Administrator
Hello,

Can everyone please post where the legislation is on what is/isn't legal as far as tyres go? I what to put it all together. It is a bit of a drama when you travel from one state to another for a meetup so want to make sure we know what the differences are.

Thanks

James

hiluxdriver

Might be worth asking people to attach relevent documentation to support their claims to prevent any confusion, as I am also interested in this buit have no idea where to start looking.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I see prawns just got me there. Least you know that's the correct one :D

So many people do guess the rules and think they're right. Saying two tire sizes up and things like that. I'm confident there is actual rules for each state like the nsw one we've provided.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

Toddyh

Theres a fact sheet for NSW tyres here - has the rules for NSW but its 6pages long :eek:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

I see prawns just got me there. Least you know that's the correct one :D

So many people do guess the rules and think they're right. Saying two tire sizes up and things like that. I'm confident there is actual rules for each state like the nsw one we've provided.

No man ever cut himself bearding!

That fact sheet doesn't actually tell you anything about tyre sizes. Just says you have to maintain load and speed ratings etc.

Toddyh

yeah it does toddy mate :D

Apologies so it does. Under the the wheels section. But that document has been superceded twice since 2003. Once by VSB 14 (which I believe is still the rule for QLD and VIC) and then by VSI 6 last year.

FYI- VSB 14 allowed a max increase of 50mm in tyre diameter provided your car is classified as 'MC' (basically any true 4x4). See page 21
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

Last edited:

prawns

I didnt know that - naughty RMA search engine leading me to obsolete info! They should probably be told about that

Swaggie

Apologies so it does. Under the the wheels section. But that document has been superceded twice since 2003. Once by VSB 14 (which I believe is still the rule for QLD and VIC) and then by VSI 6 last year.

FYI- VSB 14 allowed a max increase of 50mm in tyre diameter provided your car is classified as 'MC' (basically any true 4x4). See page 21
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

Reading about these rules for awhile now I thought it was 2 inches either with your tyres or suspension, not both or it would require and engineers certificate.. It should be straight forward but nothing from the Government ever seems to be....

Toddyh

Reading about these rules for awhile now I thought it was 2 inches either with your tyres or suspension, not both or it would require and engineers certificate.. It should be straight forward but nothing from the Government ever seems to be....

I'm pretty sure VSB 14 allows a total increase in height of 75mm. That's most commonly a 50mm lift plus 50mm larger tyres (gives 25mm lift).

Jaye

New laws came into effect in NSW a few weeks/months back. Sometime early this year, so make sure the info you post is current.