What GPS to buy?

Daz

I'm in the market for a in car GPS unit. I would like to know what forum members recommend and why.

Darren

OlDaz

I recently (about 3 weeks ago) updated to Hema HX-1 after a LOT of research and some experimentation with apps and downloads. If you are tech savvy you could go down that road, but I found it messy with things not working like I wanted. The HX-1 has a very good point to point, turn by turn called "Drive" that works a treat, it also has "Explore" for 4x4 tracks. I've found it intuitive to use and a "one job fits all" type package - I'm impressed.

OlDaz

I have the hema hn7
Love it
It was a toss up for me between the HN7 and the HX-1 and I was leaning towards the HN7 as I figured it would do all I wanted without the extra features of the HX-1. Longer battery run-time, Android platform with a technically better screen tipped it to the HX-1 for me. With the new pricing on HN7 I reckon it would be a great package. From memory I think HN7 does reverse camera as well, where HX-1 doesn't, but that wasn't a criteria for me.

TonyF8

Memory map on a tablet, why spend so much money on a hema that has basically one use, mounts for tablets are easy to come by, you also get topo maps with memory map and they don't leave out some geographical items that hema maps do, for half the coin you can get a lot better set up.

OlDaz

Simple answer, the Hema works for me the way I want it to and as a "single use" product I can put it aside when I don't need it. I tried several apps on my android pad including Oziexplorer and could never get what I wanted from them - probably because I'm not tech enough to work it out properly - possibly because I'm old enough to not want to fuss over these things. I don't have any issues with people who want to go the way you describe, but I'm happy I went the way I did.

muc the truck

I have ozie explore rand hema on android Samsung tablet . Is there any advantage of using a dedicated gps ? I used to have one ,IPAQ312 moded with multiple programs on it like android but it got so old I could not buy a reliable new battery.

OlDaz

I'm not sure there's any real advantage for the technically minded, but it suits my purpose to have a dedicated unit - a bit like having a dedicated metric tool kit in a way - that way I know which toolbox to grab for the job at hand.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Tablet/mobile software has come a long way.
Oziexplorer had always felt like you need a degree to full understand it. Still feels like it's been ported over from the DOS days.

Now that apps like Memory map and Hema map exist, quality tablet is the way to go.

Take into account though there is a big difference in user experience between a cheap as chips tablet and a quality one. Especially the android ones. Apple hardware is all very good.

Memory, speed and screen resolution on a quality tablet shits on the Hema stand alone units. Feel like Hema purchased some old Navman units and rebadged.

Both memory maps and Hema offer offline use. With different maps for purchase.
Memory map for instance has the ability to purchase Hema 4WD maps.

IMO quality tablet is far better value for money. Better quality too. I've got an old Nexus 7 that's been with me for years mounted in my crusier which is only used for mapping. Can't fault it one bit.

My main advice is don't buy the cheapest tablet you can. They're usually crap.

Albynsw

Agree with Gavo
Apps like Memory map etc are like having a dedicated navigator anyway they are that easy to use and you have the option to use it for other things as well if you wanted to

rob_macca67

Couple of other options out there are: ExplorOZ and OZTopo which both have Apps for your Phones/Tablets/iPads. Specs seem ok too

GPS Guru

I have run a few different variations of GPS. My thoughts are as follows:
- Laptop running Oziexplorer and Memory Map. Both good programs but the laptop itself is too big for the vehicle.
- iPad running Hema apps. Great apps but once again, the device is too big for my liking. Be aware of larger devices in regards to air bag location too. If your iPad isn't 3G or 4G equipped, you will need an independent GPS such as the Bad Elf.
- Handheld GPS units, Garmin Oregon, Lowrance and Memory Map. Great for bush walking but too small for a vehicle.
- Garmin, VMS and Hema Navigators. I have run all three and if I was starting out would go for one of these. Good size and easily interchangeable between vehicles.

I haven't tried any of the cheapy Chinese units as I prefer to get an off the shelf product that was designed with a certain application in mind and knowing that I can get help from the manufacturer. I do like the programs on the laptop, which is my second favourite, just a shame about the size, but my personal favourite is the Hema HX1 (I do have a vested interest here but am trying to say this from an impartial point of view). Reasons being free topo map updates for the life of the unit, being able to save areas of map to a greater scale, clarity of the screen and help is available either online or by phone. Having said that, help is also available in Australia from both VMS and Garmin.

OlDaz

I have run a few different variations of GPS. My thoughts are as follows:
- Laptop running Oziexplorer and Memory Map. Both good programs but the laptop itself is too big for the vehicle.
- iPad running Hema apps. Great apps but once again, the device is too big for my liking. Be aware of larger devices in regards to air bag location too. If your iPad isn't 3G or 4G equipped, you will need an independent GPS such as the Bad Elf.
- Handheld GPS units, Garmin Oregon, Lowrance and Memory Map. Great for bush walking but too small for a vehicle.
- Garmin, VMS and Hema Navigators. I have run all three and if I was starting out would go for one of these. Good size and easily interchangeable between vehicles.

I haven't tried any of the cheapy Chinese units as I prefer to get an off the shelf product that was designed with a certain application in mind and knowing that I can get help from the manufacturer. I do like the programs on the laptop, which is my second favourite, just a shame about the size, but my personal favourite is the Hema HX1 (I do have a vested interest here but am trying to say this from an impartial point of view). Reasons being free topo map updates for the life of the unit, being able to save areas of map to a greater scale, clarity of the screen and help is available either online or by phone. Having said that, help is also available in Australia from both VMS and Garmin.

I think you just said what I've been trying to say, I also have a vested interest now that I have a HX-1.

Buxter

Hema Mapping systems are good, but not in the Victorian High Country.
You will get lost easily.
Rooftop Maps are definitely heaps better.
I run both on an "IN dash" system and use Ozi Explorer as the main program to keep track of my whereabouts.

I also use my Motorola Next G 3rd Generation Andriod mobile with all the same programs as my in dash system, and it is simply brilliant.
For my hunting I use a Garmin Rino 650, and never get lost (yet !)

GPS Guru

The HX1 has very good coverage of all of Victoria now. It has the Vicmaps on it and you can zoom right in to a good scale.