WHAT GOOD 4wd MECHANICS ARE NORTH OF ADELAIDE!!

troy30

i have a 80 series landcruiser, and i was wondering what good 4wd mechanics are north of adelaide...? i was thinking of going to ARB

troy30

haha thats a bloody good point.. i have not owned it all that long and want to put it in for a good check over before i head to far north QLD next year in it .. its a diesel but no oil leaks so im sure its all good and have receipts for oil changes every 6000. but wouldnt hurt to get all oild changed and so by another eye.....

troy30

Make sure its a diesel mechanic, how far north? Got mate does diesels in Eliz west!

i live at Craigmore... so thats close enough and is he good? i forgot to mention it had a heavy duty clutch put in it about ahh almost a year ago and was never re ajusted, so it is a little tight when cold.. that was the reason for the sale when i bought it . the old man couldnt push the clutch in anymore and was about 80 odd years old so he got a little camry to see him out. he only put a heavy judy clutch in it because he wanted to do a 1 off trip to N.S.W with a caravan(never happened)

Blue Dog

I know this is not in line with the thread topic so if the mods wish to delet or move it thats cool, but the last part of your last post reminded me of a similar thing a few years back, a mate of mine who purchased a patrol off an old guy in his late 80's who had been doing it up to do a big trip outback but got leg problems and could no longer drive it and never got to do his trip.
Two months after he got the patrol from the guy he got intouch with the guys son and arranged to take him and his dad along with his own father on a three week blokes trip to the nsw/sa/qld outback and from memory they had a ball.
Well the old fella past away about 8 months after I think it was and his family sent a cheque to my mate for the amount he had paid for the patrol as a thanks for what he had done.

MUDRICK

You don't need to be a diesel mechanic to work on a landcruiser, just Toyota Trained like myself, LOL.

I work for my father, he has two workshops, one in salisbury, the other in pt. adelaide.
We see four wheel drives on a regular basis, and maintain a fleet of 100 and 70 series landcruisers, as well as coaster buses and hiluxes for an outback engineering company.

There is a lot of common issues with 80series cruisers, such as leaking axle seals, power steer pumps leaking, front diff housings cracking, swivel hub bearings wearing out, spindle sleves wearing, CV joints disintegrating.

A lot of it comes down to general wear and tear, and the kind of abuse the vehicle has had.

Our workshop is fully equipped with the latest equipment, latest information, all staff are qualified, with myself being @ Toyota for 6 years, 2 of our staff being from Adelaide Hills 4x4, and thats just at the salisbury workshop.

We deal in anything from general repairs, to air conditioning, custom exhaust work, suspension kits, turbo and intercooler kits, differential and gearbox overhauls

Profix Salisbury
118 Salisbury Highway
Salisbury

Profix Port Adeliade
173 Commercial Road
Port Adelaide

troy30

You don't need to be a diesel mechanic to work on a landcruiser, just Toyota Trained like myself, LOL.

I work for my father, he has two workshops, one in salisbury, the other in pt. adelaide.
We see four wheel drives on a regular basis, and maintain a fleet of 100 and 70 series landcruisers, as well as coaster buses and hiluxes for an outback engineering company.

There is a lot of common issues with 80series cruisers, such as leaking axle seals, power steer pumps leaking, front diff housings cracking, swivel hub bearings wearing out, spindle sleves wearing, CV joints disintegrating.

A lot of it comes down to general wear and tear, and the kind of abuse the vehicle has had.

Our workshop is fully equipped with the latest equipment, latest information, all staff are qualified, with myself being @ Toyota for 6 years, 2 of our staff being from Adelaide Hills 4x4, and thats just at the salisbury workshop.

We deal in anything from general repairs, to air conditioning, custom exhaust work, suspension kits, turbo and intercooler kits, differential and gearbox overhauls

Profix Salisbury
118 Salisbury Highway
Salisbury

Profix Port Adeliade
173 Commercial Road
Port Adelaide

Cheers mate,

I know the history of my 80 series as i got it off a old fella who sent it in everytime there was a sqeak that shouldnt be there lol... but however you just hit the nail on the head with power steering pump leak.. i have just noticed mine has just started a small one. so maybe ill be in to see ya some time soon want to get a once over all oils change etc etc.. but you scare me when ya start with all the common faults lol... wondering if the 80 series where a lemmon

MUDRICK

Cheers mate,

I know the history of my 80 series as i got it off a old fella who sent it in everytime there was a sqeak that shouldnt be there lol... but however you just hit the nail on the head with power steering pump leak.. i have just noticed mine has just started a small one. so maybe ill be in to see ya some time soon want to get a once over all oils change etc etc.. but you scare me when ya start with all the common faults lol... wondering if the 80 series where a lemmon

They're not a lemon, its just like any car, you abuse it, and it will start to have problems.But when looked after, they are a reliable vehicle, but being a Toyota, repairs can be expensive as parts, new or second-hand, are at a premium price.

troy30

They're not a lemon, its just like any car, you abuse it, and it will start to have problems.But when looked after, they are a reliable vehicle, but being a Toyota, repairs can be expensive as parts, new or second-hand, are at a premium price.

Yeah thats very true, i have receipts for oil changers every 5-6000klm and so on never been taken 4wding the bump stops have never been hit lol... so should be safe (fingers crossed) it has got 370,000klm on the diesel but seems perfect still

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
There is also BECK's Automotive workshop in Elizabeth West, 10 Westport Road, 82556938. He seems to know a lot about four wheel drives. I was around there a few weeks ago to ask about getting my spring shackles replaced at the front of the Patrol. He pointed at what I think was a Toyota, maybe a Nissan, still up on the hoist, that he said he had put a few thousand dollars worth of work into over the last few weeks! He was booked out for the next two weeks, so I had to keep looking. Did not have to go far!

Just around the corner, Wayne and Chris, at Javelin Crash and Mechanical, 8252 2288, 23 Barfield Crescent, Elizabeth West. They have had many years in the Auto industry. Wayne was working with his dad who owned the big Javelin business opposite GMH on the Philip Highway. They used to do a lot of contract work for GMH. Plus general auto repairs, plus crash repairs. When that closed down Wayne set up his own business in a nice new building at Barfield Crescent. He brought his best mechanic Chris with him. I can recommend them. They have done a lot of work for me over the last two or three years, mainly on three gas conversions, and LPG tune ups. But the other week they fitted the new spring shackles, and reset the valve clearances the day before I headed off to the deserts, all at a very reasonable price. And a great job they did in both cases. The truck steers straight and steady now, and it has a big jump in power. Very proffesional. Happy to explain what is going on. No secrets.

So there are two more you could have up your sleeve.

Last edited:

Poolman84

There is also BECK's Automotive workshop in Elizabeth West, 10 Westport Road, 82556938. He seems to know a lot about four wheel drives. I was around there a few weeks ago to ask about getting my spring shackles replaced at the front of the Patrol. He pointed at what I think was a Toyota, still up on the hoist, that he said he had put a few thousand dollars worth of work into over the last few weeks!

And just around the corner, Wayne and Chris, at Javelin Crash and Mechanical, 8252 2288, 23 Barfield Crescent, Elizabeth West. They have had many years in the Auto industry. Wayne was working with his dad who owned the big Javelin business opposite GMH on the Philip Highway. They used to do a lot of contract work for GMH. Plus general auto repairs, plus crash repairs. When that closed down Wayne set up his own business in a nice new building at Barfield Crescent. He brought his best mechanic Chris with him. I can recommend them. They have done a lot of work for me over the last two or three years, mainly on three gas conversions, and LPG tune ups. But the other week they fitted the new spring shackles, and reset the vlave clearances the day before I headed off to the deserts, all at a very reasonable price. And a great job they did in both cases. The truck steers straight and steady now, and it has a big jump in power. Very proffesional. Happy to explain what is going on. No secrets.

So there are two more you could have up your sleeve.

Heinz does all my work, Beck Auto, give him a call, he has one nice Mav! With a Gu T/Diesel!!!!!

troy30

thanks guys for all ya help... ill make some calls and give them a go, I also have to get a alternator now GRRRRR... it is over charging my battery it done it once before and i pulled the plug out the back and pick it back on again and it was fine, but not this time lol... so i guess ill be up for a new one before i do anything else....