What do people think of Toyota 4Runners?

Patriot

Administrator
Hello,

I am nearly sold on the idea of getting a Patrol, but driving home yesterday I saw a 4Runner which looked really good. I have driven an old Hilux and it was really capable, so I am thinking of something like this. Are these a good alternative, or should I just accept the inevitable?

Cheers,

James

4X4

Hello,

I am nearly sold on the idea of getting a Patrol, but driving home yesterday I saw a 4Runner which looked really good. I have driven an old Hilux and it was really capable, so I am thinking of something like this. Are these a good alternative, or should I just accept the inevitable?

Cheers,

James
James go for the GQ. Lots of parts available and a far better vehicle in standard form than a modified 4Runner would ever be. The 4Runner 2.4 lacked a lot of get up and go, to say the least.

centaur

Hello,

I am nearly sold on the idea of getting a Patrol, but driving home yesterday I saw a 4Runner which looked really good. I have driven an old Hilux and it was really capable, so are these a good alternative, or should I just accept the inevitable?

Cheers,

James

Either or, I went with a mate to Bunyip on Sunday, and he snatched me out 3 times. He has a Patrol, albeit with a 4" spring lift, 2" body and 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.:eek: But, on some of the tracks, that thing was unstoppable.;)

Just comes down to what you think you need, and maybe look at aftermarket prices for mod gear for them. That Patrol had ALL the lift work done for under a grand, which is nearly half the price for mine (Damn Leaf Springs), but as I carry a load, Leaf Springs are what I need. Just comes down to what you want it to do.

As Nickj said, time is running out.....

Last edited:

Grumpy

Just looking at the Patrol, dont think you could go wrong at that price, does it come with a roadworthy certificate, if done properly that should find any faults, my opinion forget the fore runner.

Sharky

4runner.............hilux with a hardtop tray & an import motor & g/box that weren't as good as the hilux units.

If u r choosing between that & a patrol, go the patrol, without hesitation!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
4runner.............hilux with a hardtop tray & an import motor & g/box that weren't as good as the hilux units.

If u r choosing between that & a patrol, go the patrol, without hesitation!

ABSOLUTELY!! Much safer choice all round!! I am a bit bias, however, between a 4runner and a PATROL, there is no comparison. A 4runner is not a true HILUX.

grit

I was going to throw in my 2 bobs worth, but the general consensus is right on the money & you won't find much better for the price.

I have a decent respect for Hilux, but we are not talking Hilux here & these guys are helping you out with good solid advice.

Tats

Leaf Springs Rule!

Hey Patriot, whatever you decide (and I think the Patrol), leaf springs reign over the rest. They're cheaper to modify. I've driven a lot of different suspension configurations, and I still say "leaf". Don't mess with aftermarket stuff, find yourself a real professional spring maker, tell him what you want the vehicle to do, and he'll design and fit what's best for the vehicle. I had a difficulty with "Ultimate" aftermarket springs on a Patrol, they kept bending and braking the shockies. In frustration I took the car to a mob in Sydney called Carols Springs (I don't know if they're still in business). They told me that the springs were poorly made and designed. So they redesigned and fitted new springs, and matched the shock absorbers to the set up. The cost was about 3/4 of that of the aftermarket ones, and the wheel travel was better than a Tojo Shorty 'Cruiser. It could also carry a better payload - the minimum was me, wife and three kids plus recovery gear, camping equipment, food and a 'fridge (oh, and a carton or two of amber) in a shorty Patrol, and the ride on blacktop was much improved, also. From then on I had no trouble at all with those springs and shockies, and back then I had a reputation for leading the more difficult trips, so if there was going to be a problem I could have initiated it.;););)

Tats:cool:

grit

I have to agree wholeheartedly Tats.

Tell them what you want and they will deliver. You can never expect that with an off the shelf pack. Can take a little time for a lift to settle (moreso when its leaf). You will think they have gone overboard when you pick it up, but just give it a couple of days to settle in. Many make the mistake of lifting the back more than the front. Just remember that the front hits first and usually hardest & it protects all that stuff under the bonnet from the trauma of bottoming out. Take measurements before you start (centre of hub to lip of guard is usually the easiest way), its a good thing to have for future reference.

Tats

Spot on Grits, my poor Patrol after the "Ultimate" suspension modification sloped very much from back to front, and the result was terrible. The "manufacturer" replaced the suspension or parts thereof on two occasions, and then told me to wrack-off, refusing to fix the real problem. Carols discovered that the springs were far too long for the vehicle, were the wrong set, hence the top leaf bent badly at the back when under load causing the top of the shocky to break off. GO TO THE MEN, NOT THE BOYS:(:(:(

Tats:cool:

centaur

Definitely leaf springs, especially if you are going to carry weight. I dont know about being cheaper, though. A mate has a Patrol, and he lifted his with coils and springs for around $800, mine is nearly $1200 for the kit I am looking at (HJ60). But for load carrying, leafs are definitely the go. But, I dont think that will be a major factor for Patriot, though.

phs

id have to say the patrol over the 4 runner , but as far as price go's is'nt the 80 series in the same price range as the gq patrol ? you should have a look.

about the leaf well iv got leaf all round on my bj70 and it is heavy duty, but iv found it does not strech very well, big rut drop in's it seems to strech to a point and then the body swings and some times this is not good as it swings you into a wall.......

Tats

Yeah PHS, perhaps your set up is a little too "heavy duty". I had a problem with a shorty Tojo that was forever inverting the back springs. It was a damn pain stopping and leavering them back into place, so I fitted rear springs off a long wheelbase (they're the same length, but beefier). That partly solved the problem, but I lost a lot of wheel travel. I fixed it by stripping down both sets of springs and rebuilding to just a little heavier. This fixed the problem completely, and I 4xwheeled with pleasure again:p:p:p

Tats:cool:.

phs

^^^^ so your saying i should add springs to my set up ?
its leaf and shock all round with 2 inch extended shackles, what sort of money would i need to upgrade ?

Pure Yobbo

Think about the ride - leafs are rough as. At least with coils the ride is smoother. As long as your not planning on carrying heaps and heaps of weight.

Just my little bit.

Cheers