What do people think of the Liberal Democrats

Patriot

Administrator
So I have been trying to do my Democratic duty and research the candidates for our electorate and no one is really jumping out as someone I am rushing to vote for.

What do people know about the Liberal Democrats? Are they worth having a look at?
James

Code4

Have a look. More importantly imho is where the preferences for the other candidates go. Just because you vote for one candidate doesn't mean the intent of your choice ends up where you want it. Lots of videos on youtube on how it works. I think an ex-Lib Dem has one.

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah, I think that is a good point about voting for minorities who are unlikely to get up, the preferences are very important.

Hoyks

Have a look. More importantly imho is where the preferences for the other candidates go. Just because you vote for one candidate doesn't mean the intent of your choice ends up where you want it. Lots of videos on youtube on how it works. I think an ex-Lib Dem has one.

You allocate your preferences.

All this talk of preference allocation is just about what they have put on their How To Vote Card, their political leanings and who they are cozying up to before the election. Once cast they don't have any control over your vote once it is in the ballot box, it gets allocated by the number you have put against the candidates.

Reactions: CTL

Code4

You allocate your preferences.

All this talk of preference allocation is just about what they have put on their How To Vote Card, their political leanings and who they are cozying up to before the election. Once cast they don't have any control over your vote once it is in the ballot box, it gets allocated by the number you have put against the candidates.
Thats what I just said. But its a bit more complex than that.

Last edited:

John U

So I have been trying to do my Democratic duty and research the candidates for our electorate and no one is really jumping out as someone I am rushing to vote for.

What do people know about the Liberal Democrats? Are they worth having a look at?
James

Their policies are under here.

Corruption causes massive waste of tax payer dollars. In my brief look I saw 'stop government waste' but nothing about 'stopping corruption'.

Below is a list of policies from the Institute of Public Affairs from 2013. The Institute of Public Affairs is an opaque right wing lobby group which directs a lot of LNP policy, and an incubator for future LNP representatives. The IPA list and the DLP policies have quite a bit of crossover.

The DLP looks like the right of the LNP without the 'moderates'. If that's what you like then it's a good match.

The idea of having more citizen involvement in government decisions is an idea I like. If they could get this up electronically it could be a change for the good. I don't agree with a lot of their policies.

Patriot

Administrator
I would like to be able to vote on a range of issues. I think there would be a more mature debate and politicians would know they are more accountable than just once every 4 years.

LongRoad2Go

James
Well, after reading things they support, like: extensive privatisation and deregulation, small government, support the relaxation of foreign investment requirements and removal of restrictions against foreign ownership, decriminalise means to self-defence (including pepper spray, tasers and firearms under some circumstances), restore to the States the power to impose income taxes and other taxes currently reserved to the Commonwealth, cease all Commonwealth involvement in health and education, etc.

And, '... the LDP announced a preference deal with the United Australia Party in the upcoming Australian elections where each party would encourage its members to choose the other as their second preference.' (Vote for LDP is a vote for nutters Craig Kelly and Clive Palmer.)

I'd say they'd certainly do significantly more harm than good.

At the end of the day, we (currently) live in a democracy, so personal preference.

Patriot

Administrator
I agree - some of their policies are NQR. I didn't know about UAP. I am quite against UAP, Big Clive doesn't deliver on a lot. The search goes on. I would have voted for the old Democrats, because really I think a lot of people just want someone to keep them all honest.

cam04

The Swiss get to vote over 150 times a year in on-line referendums re: policy and laws. I can't see why we can't either.
God forbid we, the silent majority, get our voice back. The squealing special minority groups wouldn’t like that one little bit - bring it on!

Patriot

Administrator
This is
Patriot. Pollies being held accountable, please, I almost fell off my chair laughing.

That should be in the joke section.
our one chance to hold them to account! :). I do think the trick will be to make the preference vote work. If it just devolves down to the same old 2 horse race, then lot a lot will change.

Mick_Marsh

The first person you vote for does not determine where your preferences go, you do.
Don't be a sheeple. You determine where your preferences go.

mikehzz

NSW has optional preferential voting, I like it because you don't have to number all the boxes. That means you don't end up helping one of the majors if you don't want to. Federal should be a 4 year term as well in my opinion.

Code4

The first person you vote for does not determine where your preferences go, you do.
Don't be a sheeple. You determine where your preferences go.
If you follow their how to vote card you vote for their preferences. Have a look at the video I posted earlier.

discomatt

If you follow their how to vote card you vote for their preferences. Have a look at the video I posted earlier.
But that is a option, you can learn about the people you are voting for and put down any order you want or if you don't want to learn about all the different options of slim, or you can decide who you hate the most and put it all opposite to the order they put down on the how to vote card

Personally this election I hope the 2 major partys get about 60-70% of the vote splite straight down the middle between them and the rest of seats go to independents and small parties , the perfect hung parliament , that would keep the bastards honest and hopefully get a ICAC