what do i use to upload a track?

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^^

Certainly not an avid reader of Dale Carnegie's HTWF&IP :D

Not quick on the uptake this one either , hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

6.5.4 ............................

Ozbogwam

No your phone does not need any sort of phone reception for the gps to work. You MAY need phone reception for the map to load depending on what app you are using and whether it has a download map function.

Still have no idea what you actually after, your questions have been vague and then you just abuse people

mbfc4x4

ok then my phone does work then I'm wrong????? so y doesn't it load maps when i have no signal? explain that!!!!
no one it listing to what I'm saying there just saying yes it does yes it does "gps's use mobile phone reception" umm no they use they own signals

and its been said over and over and over
what gps's do you guys have? that records where you have been? map tracking i believe its called i want to upload a gps file what ones that you guys have lets you do this?

Last edited:

mbfc4x4

im sorry but if no one can understand******what kind of gps do you guys have?****** all hope is lost
whats so hard to understand exactly? define vague? in that question?

phs

Ok I was running an iphone 4 with memory maps . And 25k map licences for Victoria and 100k for all of Australia

Now I am running an iphone 5 with memory maps and transferred the map licences over to it.

I bulk upload maps to my phone . No need for reception to see the map
Even if I did not upload the maps I can still record and it will be overlaid onto the map when I get reception next .

So that's the GPS I run and it works very well

The chances that you will take that info and be happy are slim
The chances of you buying map licences and a suitable device even less again

But none the less I hope that helps

Last edited:

mbfc4x4

Ok I was running an iphone 4 with memory maps . And 25k map licences for Victoria and 100k for all of Australia

Now I am running an iphone 5 with memory maps and transferred the map licences over to it.

I bulk upload maps to my phone . No need for reception to see the map
Even if I did not upload the maps I can still record and it will be overlaid onto the map when I get reception next .

So that's the GPS I run and it works very well

The chances that you will take that info and be happy are slim
The chances of you buying map licences and a suitable device even less again

But none the less I hope that helps

i dont kno why you say that will be slim to make me happy thats a good answer
someone that has a iphone and can use there maps with no signal

i turned wifi off as theres no wifi where theres no signal anyways i started the "maps" app that comes with the phone and searched (allyn river road gresford) a pop up popped up with quote in brackets (Search results not Available) in bold and under that in the same pop up bubble (Maps cannot connect to the internet) which supports what i have been saying but falls on deaf ears to everyone

what is memory maps?
and whats 25k? and 100k? i kno "k" meaning thousand?
how do you transfer the map licenses to the iPhone/iPod? im keen to give anything ago at this stage
and how do i bulk upload all the maps?

phs

Aus Maps : Topo maps | 4WD maps | Australia maps | PC : iPad : Android | Memory-Map Aus/NZ

With in the app on the phone you select your map and it has a bulk upload option
You transfer your licences on the website above. Any device I have memory maps on and I log in with my user name will pop up on there data base and allows me to swap licences to other devices

Some maps are free like the 1;250,000 scale ones others you have to pay for
You can trial them for a few days for free first the vic topo 1:25,000 cost me $99 but that's a lifetime licence so not much when you think about it

I will be buying the tasmania 1:25,000 map soon it is $119

I have been using memory maps for years and its great
Good detail, lots of info and good tracking function

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

I used an el-cheapo Sony Android phone ($100) on Boost running Memory Map's free 1:250,000 maps (ie 4cm = 10km) for a while, no problems tracking where I was when I had no phone signal and the GPS turned on. I'd preload the maps on the wifi network at home, or when I had data coverage.

I've now swapped to a Google Nexus Tablet that I got for $120 or earlier in the year, and still run Memory Maps on it. I just download the maps that I need before I head out, and off I go. If I need more maps I download them via my mobile phone as a hot spot.

In terms of dedicated GPS units, I used to be able to get the GPX tracks out of my Garmin Nuvi onto their software, and then I could save them. It was a bit of a time consuming process, but it worked well, and I could save my waypoints from Memory Map onto the computer and then upload them into my Nuvi. The caveat there is that the Nuvi was about a 2008 or so model, so the tech might have changed a bit now as there is the move towards virtual licences rather than the DVD based maps I had.

mbfc4x4

garmin nauvi i will check them out as i have a navigon 1300 (basic my first gps) been the best gps ive ever had but its a on-road gps and im rather unhappy theres no map updates since 2009 the m1 by pass isnt even on there, thats y im upgrading to a off-road/on-road gps

phs

Yes you do need the app.

Once you down load it create an account, upload your map, then you can select the map via the folder icon in the app it will display the map details . Licence, scale, map name, ect. On the same screen it will have the bulk upload option

phs

Here is a screen shoot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 78

Paddler Ed

garmin nauvi i will check them out as i have a navigon 1300 (basic my first gps) been the best gps ive ever had but its a on-road gps and im rather unhappy theres no map updates since 2009 the m1 by pass isnt even on there, thats y im upgrading to a off-road/on-road gps

I'd be surprised if any of the maps on the GPS's have the Hunter Expressway, at one point Bing didn't have it on their maps, but Google did, does depend on when the base map has been updated.

Most maps on the in car systems have licences for the maps, but upgrades are limited unless you buy lifetime maps or similar.

Some of the Garmins do have the forest roads on them, a lot of the roads up here are on them if you look hard enough. Best thing is to go and play with one in a store.

Last edited:

mbfc4x4

Yes you do need the app.

Once you down load it create an account, upload your map, then you can select the map via the folder icon in the app it will display the map details . Licence, scale, map name, ect. On the same screen it will have the bulk upload option

thats y everyone was saying i could use my phone with no reception

mbfc4x4

I'd be surprised if any of the maps on the GPS's have the Hunter Expressway, at one point Bing didn't have it on their maps, but Google did, does depend on when the base map has been updated.

Most maps on the in car systems have licences for the maps, but upgrades are limited unless you buy lifetime maps or similar.

Some of the Garmins do have the forest roads on them, a lot of the roads up here are on them if you look hard enough. Best thing is to go and play with one in a store.

Navigon uses goggle maps

i started watching 4wd action weekly dvds my works at 7/11 n gets them for free but the mag has to go back i was watching the guys all talk about the hema?? hn7 gps's and how every road they go on is one there so i goggled them n there close to a yearly rego n greenslip cost which is a bit high for me thats why i asked

Paddler Ed

4WD action pretty much is a continual advert... take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd look at even a basic Garmin in JB HiFi or Dick Smith as you can have a play around with them and see what trails are on there. Have a look for something like the Old Mill Road in the Watagan's and go from there with it. One of those comes in at about $150 or so, and whilst won't have all the pretty functions that the Hema Navigator has, used in conjunction with Memory Map should be enough to get you in and out of trouble.

mbfc4x4

4WD action pretty much is a continual advert... take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd look at even a basic Garmin in JB HiFi or Dick Smith as you can have a play around with them and see what trails are on there. Have a look for something like the Old Mill Road in the Watagan's and go from there with it. One of those comes in at about $150 or so, and whilst won't have all the pretty functions that the Hema Navigator has, used in conjunction with Memory Map should be enough to get you in and out of trouble.

herma not hema lol yea i suppose thats y i stopped watching 4wd tv ad after ad after ad do u guys kno of any that has the killi loop or a fair few tracks in barrington tops