What Did You Do To Your 4X4 This Week? Include photos, if possible!

Bru9

These have a spot and flood lens that’s good for 500m which is perfect for hitting the 400m sweet spot, I don’t need to see 1km down the road and well rarely is that possible on a bush track anyway and I like the 5000k colour temp to help cut down on glare and eye fatigue.
The classic mistake I'm affriad. there is no such thing as this lights are good for x distance, not even when taken an actual lux figures. How good a pair a lights go is based on dozens of factors inc your eyes.
No one can "see" 1km down the road besides sign reflections without a telescope, again high lux without high lumens is rather pointless and the point of big throwers is simply so you see close objects and details better, has not much to do with seeing 1km or even remotely close to it.
There is absolutely no real worthy evidence that 5000K cuts down on eye fatigue, again dozens of factors, there are blokes with halogens and the fyrlyts that have eye fatigue or that's what they call it. Your eyes might be fatigued but you can't be sure of what's going on until many many hours of trying various lights.

idiomatically

The classic mistake I'm affriad. there is no such thing as this lights are good for x distance, not even when taken an actual lux figures. How good a pair a lights go is based on dozens of factors inc your eyes.
No one can "see" 1km down the road besides sign reflections without a telescope, again high lux without high lumens is rather pointless and the point of big throwers is simply so you see close objects and details better, has not much to do with seeing 1km or even remotely close to it.
There is absolutely no real worthy evidence that 5000K cuts down on eye fatigue, again dozens of factors, there are blokes with halogens and the fyrlyts that have eye fatigue or that's what they call it. Your eyes might be fatigued but you can't be sure of what's going on until many many hours of trying various lights.

I'm going to disagree, there is plenty of science and research into the effect light colour temp has on the eyes. 5000k vs 5700k at the same lumens is a lot less strain on your eyes and has a significant reduction in bounce back off hard surfaces like signage at the lumens we are talking.

Computer monitors for example will run at up to 6500k with low lumens, if you ramp up the brightness watch how quickly your vision is messed with, do the same test with 5000k and at the same brightness the effect is a lot less. Anyone can do this test at home.

The acurity of human eyesight on an average person is 2km's, as a pilot let me tell you I and many others can see objects clearly at 1km, no telescopes needed. If we couldn't there'd be no such thing as VFR.

We can just agree to disagree, but as far as I am concerned there are no mistakes here.

Last edited:

Neddysmith

Although the Covid 19 which pretty much stuffed 2020 looks like rolling into 2021, this 5 day lockdown in Vic for this weekend has given me some much needed time to do some stuff i have been wanting to do for a long time.

This weekend I finally fitted up my winch the Ranger, Dominator Xtreme, had to remove the grill, but apart from that was pretty straight forward, next on the list was upgrading the wiring looms for my lightbar and spot lights, ever since getting new Lightforce Driving lights i have not been able to run both lightbar and driving lights as wiring heats up too much, so i bought a Stedi loom and installed that, with a 60A relay and 35A inline fuse, now everything is running nicely and turns night into day.

Next was fitting some Clearview style towing mirrors for when towing the camper, the originals were OK and gave pretty good vision down the side, but im thinking this will be much better, not sure i really like the look of them so will see how they go, might eventually changed back or see what other options are about after our 4mth trip around AUS this year (If it even happens, were supposed to go last year a well).

And lastly i was going to putting on a snorkel, but time just got away from me so thinking at the next service ill just get my mechanic to put it in for me ad give him a few extra bucks considering everyone seems to be struggling with Covid, easy enough job its just time but happy to support some local business especially considering how time poor i am most of the time.

John U

And lastly i was going to putting on a snorkel, but time just got away from me so thinking at the next service ill just get my mechanic to put it in for me ad give him a few extra bucks considering everyone seems to be struggling with Covid, easy enough job its just time but happy to support some local business especially considering how time poor i am most of the time.
Word of warning Neddy. ARB charge about $400 for a snorkel install. I'm admiring your intention to support local business but it could be pretty pricey.

Neddysmith

Word of warning Neddy. ARB charge about $400 for a snorkel install. I'm admiring your intention to support local business but it could be pretty pricey.
Yeah thanks for the heads up, it will be from my local mechanic who i have used for years, i do, prefer and am capable to doing most of the work myself, just some stuff i get him to do when i am too busy with work or family or whatever, but if it is going to cost that much, think i will make the time and install myself, might just mean i am have a couple of late nights in the garage, hahaha

Baggs71

BFGs
20210228_211837.jpg

Baggs71

Nice, put one in the Ranger a couple of weeks ago. Still trying to figure out intercooler temps.
Got to ask, what is a sleeper install??
PP
A sleeper install is a factory look until you wqnt to use it or see it...all cabling and head unit hidden behind facia ...open facia door and wholla!...a ultragauge is staring at you!

My previous 120 prado had the kitchen sink thrown at it....gauges everywhere ..mods mods mods!...tuff looking indeed....this build is on a current shape prado with diff lock rear and atrac.....so its wicked off road...ill give it some fruit...barwork and lift etc....enough to tour with and HC and simpson etc....but its gunna be a sleeper/catologue build....its my daily..so its gunna be light but robust....hiding as much as i can instead of bolting or sticking it to windows dashes and pillars

MrPoopypants

A sleeper install is a factory look until you wqnt to use it or see it...all cabling and head unit hidden behind facia ...open facia door and wholla!...a ultragauge is staring at you!

My previous 120 prado had the kitchen sink thrown at it....gauges everywhere ..mods mods mods!...tuff looking indeed....this build is on a current shape prado with diff lock rear and atrac.....so its wicked off road...ill give it some fruit...barwork and lift etc....enough to tour with and HC and simpson etc....but its gunna be a sleeper/catologue build....its my daily..so its gunna be light but robust....hiding as much as i can instead of bolting or sticking it to windows dashes and pillars

Ahhh, showing just how out of touch I am. It's funny how even with the new tech modern cars still don't have all the gauges we want, even though it is usually available in the ECU. Gotta say I like using the ultragauge instead a plastering extra gauges everywhere - cheaper, too.
Your prado sounds great. Diff locks are well worth it I reckon, like winches. Peace of mind lets you enjoy trips with a few less worries. Have fun with it. Cheers PP

Baggs71

Ahhh, showing just how out of touch I am. It's funny how even with the new tech modern cars still don't have all the gauges we want, even though it is usually available in the ECU. Gotta say I like using the ultragauge instead a plastering extra gauges everywhere - cheaper, too.
Your prado sounds great. Diff locks are well worth it I reckon, like winches. Peace of mind lets you enjoy trips with a few less worries. Have fun with it. Cheers PP
Too right mate!

stevemc181

Installed my Big Bertha Oven on the cargo barrier, she gets pretty hot on the outside so I've also added some insulation to the top of it. My first trip away for a while will be up to H&A ranges and surrounds for Easter, so I'll give it a good workout and see how it does with a rack of lamb or similar.

20210320_060020911_iOS.jpg