What Did You Do To Your 4X4 This Week? Include photos, if possible!

Completely re(de)wired my immobiliser in the D22. I'm getting a nuisance blow on the gauge cluster circuit and the wiring for the immobiliser was abhorrent. So bad, that some of the wiring was just twisted together and taped up. The wires for the drivers door central locking solenoid were too heavy as well and i didnt like how where they had taken power from.

I've got a blue sea 12 circuit bus bar under the bonnet so i ran a dedicated line in for the central locking. Routed some nice split tube for the wiring in the engine bay, cabin and door, heat shrunk, crimped and all modules secured properly. Did a general tidy up of the wiring under the dash and i feel much better about it too.

Didn't fix the nuisance blow so its under the rig tomorrow for a look at the neutral, 4x4 and reverse light switch wiring!

Sorry, no photos. :confused:

Completely re(de)wired my immobiliser in the D22. I'm getting a nuisance blow on the gauge cluster circuit and the wiring for the immobiliser was abhorrent. So bad, that some of the wiring was just twisted together and taped up. The wires for the drivers door central locking solenoid were too heavy as well and i didnt like how where they had taken power from.

I've got a blue sea 12 circuit bus bar under the bonnet so i ran a dedicated line in for the central locking. Routed some nice split tube for the wiring in the engine bay, cabin and door, heat shrunk, crimped and all modules secured properly. Did a general tidy up of the wiring under the dash and i feel much better about it too.

Didn't fix the nuisance blow so its under the rig tomorrow for a look at the neutral, 4x4 and reverse light switch wiring!

Sorry, no photos. :confused:
Turns out it was the supply wiring to the transfer (4X4) position switch. Every now and then the wire would touch the gearbox case, short out and blow the fuse.
The switch was buggered so no repair. Replaced the switch and all is good in the world!

Bonnet looks great swatto! How much did it set you back? I want to do the same to the Nav but using this stuff; Reckon i'll cover my drawers in it too when i make them. There is a guy in WA with a D22 that has done his whole ute. Looks great (IMHO) :D
http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm

RAPTOR-Gif-Collection-EN.gif

Swatto90

I used this stuff from super cheap.
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Prod...nt-Custom-Wrap-Matte-Carbon-Black-396g/363574

I got 2 cans for $28 in a special and used both. It turned out well. Ill see how long it lasts. Best part is it peels off and leaves nothing behind.

Turns out it was the supply wiring to the transfer (4X4) position switch. Every now and then the wire would touch the gearbox case, short out and blow the fuse.
The switch was buggered so no repair. Replaced the switch and all is good in the world!

Bonnet looks great swatto! How much did it set you back? I want to do the same to the Nav but using this stuff; Reckon i'll cover my drawers in it too when i make them. There is a guy in WA with a D22 that has done his whole ute. Looks great (IMHO) :D
http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm

RAPTOR-Gif-Collection-EN.gif

mac_man_luke

Still trying to diagnose my ABS fault

Got my new high quality OBD reader (OBDLink MX Wi-Fi) which does HS and MS CAN.

Using Forscan i can now see lots more information e.g. all the other modules such as ABS which Torque etc can't see

Problem can be seen here:
t22R5R1.png

RF Wheel speed is all over the place

Sensor is good and verified by swapping
Wiring is intact as far back from the plug as i can reach
Wiring is intact into the ABS module connector

Next step is to try and do a continuity test of the wiring which is going to be a bit of a pain

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mitchmate

With a bit of 'liquid encouragement' finally decided to sort out the radio and wiring in the dash... The song of a Diesel engine does get kinda repetitive...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
No wonder it played up everything had been twisted and taped together by the previous owner :mad:
image.jpeg
Much better, all soldered and heat shrunk shouldn't have any dramas now, re-wired the UHF too so it runs off switched rather than it being run back to the battery....
New speakers too no piccies though
Even threw in a cup holder out of an SR5 dash while I was at it!

hiluxdriver

Had a windscreen replaced this week as a massive crack was snaking it's way across my line of sight. Chick who did it asked if I'd had it in the panel shop, I said not that I know of rather concerned. She said it had been at some stage as the windscreen had been replaced before and it had been placed over paint that had not cured properly. When pulling this one out it had removed some of the paint (not visible though). The joys of owning second hand vehicles.
Rotated all 5 tyres on a 35 degree day in the sun and also got a gerni onto all the steering and suspension linkages to get the mud off from last weekend.
Went for a fish (no catching as usual) on Bribie yesterday and found a boat washed up on the beach, few holes on top but the hull looked pretty good. Would have been a nice boat to have at some point.
20160123_134225 (2064 x 1161).jpg

stevemc181

Fitted a set of Dobinson MRR shocks to the rear of the NW Pajero today.

Drivers side rear
image_zpsc49tlxqc.jpeg

Passenger side rear:
image_zpsrgndy4mh.jpeg

Unfortunately I noticed quite a bit of play in the hubs and wheel bearings! Only done 85,000 km's so I think this may be due to running a much lower offset wheel putting too much stress on the bearings. Time to get rid of the aftermarket alloys and go to a set of factory steels. Function over looks is more important I think. I am glad I picked this up now as there is a hell of a lot of play in all directions, particularly on the drivers side. I'll push MM for a warranty claim and see what they say.

Won't be able give the shocks a good workout until I've sorted the wheel bearings :(

nightscale

Big weekend coming up for me. Some more to do on the paj. Finished checking the main bearings and end float on the crank all perfect.
Tomorrow is conrod bearing clearence checks as well as the piston ring gaps. Then time to pull it all apart for the final time and do the final wash down of the block for final assembly.
Then have the check and touch up the clutch and flywheel. New exhaust as the old one is knackered, new clutch slave cyclinder, and bleed, new clutch fork as the rod for the slave cyclinder is stuffed.
And snorkel to be fitted as well and to finish tidying up wiring etc.
Being checking out colors for painting the engine and wow theres some awesome paints out there nowadays.
Cheers

ian.c

Big weekend coming up for me. Some more to do on the paj. Finished checking the main bearings and end float on the crank all perfect.
Tomorrow is conrod bearing clearence checks as well as the piston ring gaps. Then time to pull it all apart for the final time and do the final wash down of the block for final assembly.
Then have the check and touch up the clutch and flywheel. New exhaust as the old one is knackered, new clutch slave cyclinder, and bleed, new clutch fork as the rod for the slave cyclinder is stuffed.
And snorkel to be fitted as well and to finish tidying up wiring etc.
Being checking out colors for painting the engine and wow theres some awesome paints out there nowadays.
Cheers
There's nothing more satisfying than turning the key at the end of all the work you put in, good luck with it all mate.

LanaB

thanks Bomber, now to do the torsion bars, they were supposed to be heavy duty, but they don't like the extra 60kg :(

LanaB

yeah I tried that mac-man-luke, even reindexed them, passenger side is particularly soft, so looks like new ones.

Mitchmate

I know the thread title specifies today but this has been almost a week of late nights... The water pump decided to start leaking so I had to change it and thought while its apart I'll do the timing belt, timing seals (where weeping alittle) viscous hub, new fan (wide blade job out of the 5LE) new radiator, belts, hoses, rocker cover gasket and an oil drop and filter change...
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Took it for a run up CPT80 yesterday in the Watagans no more getting hot woohoo! Was interesting to find too the timing belt was about 2 teeth out on the injector pump whoever did it last time needs a slap on the wrist! It explains all the black smoke it used to throw under load... Doesn't do it now :cool:

Last edited: