What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

Rusty Panels

Sadly the problem is too big and it's way too late to close the gate on gun laws in the US. Even if they were banned and honest people handed them in there would still be more nutters with a cache of AK47's or Uzis.
It's their long held belief that they have "the right to bear arms" which is part of the backbone of their country. You can pop into a supermarket or hardware store and buy an automatic rifle or handgun.
Unfortunately, there are so many weapons out there, that finding them all would be near impossible and, as far as nut jobs go, they have plenty of them too.
Also, by the look of it, if they were to try to ban firearms and toughen their laws that would probably be the beginning of a civil war.

Chatty

Unfortunately, there are so many weapons out there, that finding them all would be near impossible and, as far as nut jobs go, they have plenty of them too.
Also, by the look of it, if they were to try to ban firearms and toughen their laws that would probably be the beginning of a civil war.
Can't argue with you there.
It's their long held belief that they have "the right to bear arms" which is part of the backbone of their country. You can pop into a supermarket or hardware store and buy an automatic rifle or handgun.
I've always thought that the interpretation of the Second Amendment was a bit selective. It says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I don't see how allowing any idiot who wants one, to have free access to almost any weapon they want (apparently sawn-off shotguns are about the only weapon that is universally banned in the US) constitutes a "well regulated militia".
There is nothing well regulated about the way guns are freely available in the US. And these gun owners certainly do not constitute a well regulated militia.

Unfortunately there is now this widespread attitude in the States that to be a "real man" (or woman) you need weapons, to make people believe that you are a "powerful" person you need weapons, that you are somehow incomplete without weapons. And, even more unfortunately, we are starting to see that attitude in Australia, even among a number of our 4x4 Earth members.

For me, if you need a weapon to prove your status in life, if you need a weapon to prove how great or powerful a man (or woman) you are, then you are just a really sad, inconsequential nobody of a person.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can't argue with you there.

I've always thought that the interpretation of the Second Amendment was a bit selective. It says: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I don't see how allowing any idiot who wants one, to have free access to almost any weapon they want (apparently sawn-off shotguns are about the only weapon that is universally banned in the US) constitutes a "well regulated militia".
There is nothing well regulated about the way guns are freely available in the US. And these gun owners certainly do not constitute a well regulated militia.

Unfortunately there is now this widespread attitude in the States that to be a "real man" (or woman) you need weapons, to make people believe that you are a "powerful" person you need weapons, that you are somehow incomplete without weapons. And, even more unfortunately, we are starting to see that attitude in Australia, even among a number of our 4x4 Earth members.

For me, if you need a weapon to prove your status in life, if you need a weapon to prove how great or powerful a man (or woman) you are, then you are just a really sad, inconsequential nobody of a person.
I think the last part of your thread is a bit off the mark .It's like saying you have to drive a big American 4wd to be a man. Many women call that a phallic symbol.

discomatt

They can’t even pass laws that enforce background checks….
The one big benefit is when they get invaded by another country they are all armed , we will all be enslaved
Sadly the gun issue in the US now comes down to big business and money, same old story, greed and money

Chatty

It's like saying you have to drive a big American 4wd to be a man. Many women call that a phallic symbol.
I suspect you're trying to have a shot at me there - but you really need to get your facts straight first, otherwise you run the risk of looking like a fool.

The reason we have the Sierra is because we decided that we needed to upgrade our caravan to something 10m long and weighing 4.5t - and when I say "we" I mean Trish.
So the decision to buy the Sierra was driven by a need, not an ego. Personally, I would much rather still be driving Maj the Paj, but our lifestyle choices made that unrealistic, so we bought one of the few vehicles that enabled us to live our life the way we want.
Absolutely 0% about ego, and 100% about lifestyle.

Oh, and let's not forget the not insignificant fact that Trish drives the Sierra more than I do - when we're towing I have to use a crow bar to get her out of the driver's seat.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I suspect you're trying to have a shot at me there - but you really need to get your facts straight first, otherwise you run the risk of looking like a fool.

The reason we have the Sierra is because we decided that we needed to upgrade our caravan to something 10m long and weighing 4.5t - and when I say "we" I mean Trish.
So the decision to buy the Sierra was driven by a need, not an ego. Personally, I would much rather still be driving Maj the Paj, but our lifestyle choices made that unrealistic, so we bought one of the few vehicles that enabled us to live our life the way we want.
Absolutely 0% about ego, and 100% about lifestyle.

Oh, and let's not forget the not insignificant fact that Trish drives the Sierra more than I do - when we're towing I have to use a crow bar to get her out of the driver's seat.
Who mentioned you?
Who took shots at earth members who are licenced to carry firearms?
Seems you can be very loose with your language in trying to put other people down.

smitty_r51

WCMO - Traffic lights, at least in Canberra.

Set you are on go green, next set 400m down the road go red. Not one road in this infernal territory allows traffic to flow. self made gridlock.

Took 40 minutes to do 20km on a 90/100km road on Saturday just because each time we got back up to the speed limit we hit the next set of lights.

Rubbish for traffic, horrible for emissions...which bright spark is in charge of this... or is it a trained chump just hitting the pretty lights buttons

LongRoad2Go

WCMO - Traffic lights, at least in Canberra.

Set you are on go green, next set 400m down the road go red. Not one road in this infernal territory allows traffic to flow. self made gridlock.

Took 40 minutes to do 20km on a 90/100km road on Saturday just because each time we got back up to the speed limit we hit the next set of lights.

Rubbish for traffic, horrible for emissions...which bright spark is in charge of this... or is it a trained chump just hitting the pretty lights buttons
It's part of their grand plan, otherwise people would flow out of the ACT in one big tsunami, and, to remind everyone the place is run by politicians and policy e.g. just when you reckon you have a free flow, they purposely put an unnecessary restriction in place to annoy everyone.;)

Chatty

Who mentioned you?
Who took shots at earth members who are licenced to carry firearms?
Seems you can be very loose with your language in trying to put other people down.
OK, I was talking aboutgun ownership in America and I certainly did not say anything that could be construed as targeting anyone, or any particular person on 4x4 Earth.

You, however, chose to target me specifically as the only owner of an American Ute on this forum.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
OK, I was talking aboutgun ownership in America and I certainly did not say anything that could be construed as targeting anyone, or any particular person on 4x4 Earth.

You, however, chose to target me specifically as the only owner of an American Ute on this forum.
Your comments. ..... Quote "
in the States that to be a "real man" (or woman) you need weapons, to make people believe that you are a "powerful" person you need weapons, that you are somehow incomplete without weapons. And, even more unfortunately, we are starting to see that attitude in Australia, even among a number of our 4x4 Earth members.

For me, if you need a weapon to prove your status in life, if you need a weapon to prove how great or powerful a man (or woman) you are, then you are just a really sad, inconsequential nobody of a person" end of quote.
P.S. So no one else here of the maybe 80,000 to 100,000 members own an American 4wd. Can you enlighten me and tell me how many own various makes and models???
Are you playing the victim?
And let me quote you for your derogatory comments made at me on another thread.
Quoting you "
Roger, you need to grow up and get some maturity. The idea of carrying live weapons to "defend yourself no matter what" is an ideology that died out about 150 years ago, when civilised people realised that there are better ways of carrying on than shooting each other just because we feel like it.
It's a viewpoint that mature people grow out of at about age 10." End of quote.
Oh boy :eek:

Last edited:

Chatty

Your comments. ..... Quote "
in the States that to be a "real man" (or woman) you need weapons, to make people believe that you are a "powerful" person you need weapons, that you are somehow incomplete without weapons. And, even more unfortunately, we are starting to see that attitude in Australia, even among a number of our 4x4 Earth members.

For me, if you need a weapon to prove your status in life, if you need a weapon to prove how great or powerful a man (or woman) you are, then you are just a really sad, inconsequential nobody of a person" end of quote.
P.S. So no one else here of the maybe 80,000 to 100,000 members own an American 4wd. Can you enlighten me and tell me how many own various makes and models???
Are you playing the victim?
And let me quote you for your derogatory comments made at me on another thread.
Quoting you "
Roger, you need to grow up and get some maturity. The idea of carrying live weapons to "defend yourself no matter what" is an ideology that died out about 150 years ago, when civilised people realised that there are better ways of carrying on than shooting each other just because we feel like it.
It's a viewpoint that mature people grow out of at about age 10." End of quote.
Oh boy :eek:
If you choose to make yourself the victim of my vague comments IN THIS THREAD, I won't deny you the chance to make a martyr of yourself.
Time to move on, I won't dignify your comments with any further responses.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you choose to make yourself the victim of my vague comments IN THIS THREAD, I won't deny you the chance to make a martyr of yourself.
Time to move on, I won't dignify your comments with any further responses.
Sprung!

discomatt

And once again certain members make themself look silly for the simple fact of ego chest beating, we have all possibly been guilty of it throughout life but really there is no need except for some possible amusement of some other members., well I just had a chuckle anyway
After all we are all just the same plague walking the planet and I guess this is the what cheeses me off thread:)

Corndoggy

At the moment its someone bombarding the few caravaning/camping sites with the same questions and answers on each site. What a grumpy bugger I'm getting.

Toyasaurus

Anyone I invite over is excepted to bring their own beer.
I don`t drink so that sort of simplifies things.

In your case Chatty, I would drink it in front of him after offering water, coke or something.
Be sure to make the correct noises about how good it taste`s.