What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

discomatt

Didn't get a chance to read the research. It might've been occurring since before the fires.
According to the article they think it is due to global warming, warmer weather has increased the insects numbers but they are a natural / native beetle

John U

According to the article they think it is due to global warming, warmer weather has increased the insects numbers but they are a natural / native beetle
Not good news. On the tv they said it could cause an ecosystem collapse up there as the snow gums do a lot to hold the soil together a above the snow line.
Let’s hope science can come up with a solution. There’s nothing like a old snow gum that has taken years to grow in the harsh alpine environment.

Bomber2012

WCMO , I recently changed my power provider for a much better deal with another company .
Before leaving my old provider I asked them if they could match the deal I was offered , answer was NO .

Fast forward 2 months and I get a call from my old provider offering me a new deal matching the one I’m on now .
I explained to them how I had asked them to match it and how they said No .

I just don’t understand how these power company’s operate ?
I’m sure they are just taking the piss .

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer

$$$$, every bit they can squeeze out :confused:
No care for long term customers, deals for new changing to them, but forget about the loyal ones.
Look around often, check comparo prices and even playing field, supply charge, gst inc or not, winter / summer tariffs etc etc.
I've done this a few times with my now 38 year supplier and they always give me a slightly better deal.
So far.

DogSec

Just saw this.
MY interpretation would be that the cause of this ‘suddenly occurrence’ could be because the beetles have moved into the area, evading the fires that were around at the end of 2020, beginning 2021.
animals and bugs and EVERYTHING gets the hell away from fire as it approaches. So why not these beetles too?
but NOW comes the problems associated with attempting to control and contain the damage from being catastrophic to ALL trees in the areas NOW affected, without causing too much harm to the beetles and other (native) ‘bugs’.

mikehzz

WCMO , I recently changed my power provider for a much better deal with another company .
Before leaving my old provider I asked them if they could match the deal I was offered , answer was NO .

Fast forward 2 months and I get a call from my old provider offering me a new deal matching the one I’m on now .
I explained to them how I had asked them to match it and how they said No .

I’m sure they are just taking the piss .
I didn't ask my old provider, they called me when they found out I was leaving. I told them they should have given me the deal the whole time and to shove their power. I have swapped to Red Energy because they're supposedly Australian owned. The old company was Alinta which I found out was Chinese owned after Scotty from marketing approved the sale when he was treasurer.

Rusty Panels

What really annoys me is the ever increasing number of filthbag scammers that are continually trying to find ways of ripping people off. I have had so many phone calls and texts recently after placing a for sale ad on Gumtree for a laptop that I no longer need. I received a text almost immediately after placing the ad with no return phone number. They asked me to reply to an email address. The creature claimed to be a Doctor from Florida who wanted the laptop as a present for her daughter in the USA who was doing well in university and she wanted to surprise her with a gift. She said she was more than happy with my price of $500 and my description of the goods. I told her she might be better off to just send her daughter the money to buy her own as it would cost too much to post it from Australia. I signed the email Detective Senior Sergeant Rusty Panels, NSW Police Fraud Squad.
I received several other text messages of a similar nature and ended up just telling them to get a real job and to GFY.
Today I received yet another phone call from Perth W.A. this is one of several calls from Perth that I have received. A recorded male voice says that he is from an insurance company regarding an accident I have supposedly been involved in. It tells you that they require further information and to dial 1 for the claims department. I dialled 1 and the call ended. I rang them back a few minutes later and a male voice with a slightly English or maybe Asian accent answered with a "Hello!" I said I received a call from this number a short time ago and the call terminated. He said "Oh yes! that would be regarding a motor vehicle accident you were involved in My Friend" I said don't call me your friend you slimy something, something, something or other something!!! You can go forth and reproduce you rear opening of the lower part of the human anatomy!!!
He attempted to tell me that I was the one who called him (as if that was relevant?) I hung up.
I checked the number on the reverse phone lookup site and it has been reported by 16 others as being a scam phone number and they quoted similar messages. I also reported it to the Scamwatch site, not that that will do anything.
My frustration with all of this and the question that I want answered is, If I can ring this number back and have the offender answer it then why the hell can't the government trace the calls and arrest these filth bags who scam and steal money from so many more trusting people in our community? These dirtbags ruin peoples lives. The government needs to track them down and punish them.

If your interested the Perth Number is 08 62053608

Last edited:

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
What really annoys me is the ever increasing number of filthbag scammers that are continually trying to find ways of ripping people off. I have had so many phone calls and texts recently after placing a for sale ad on Gumtree for a laptop that I no longer need. I received a text almost immediately after placing the ad with no return phone number. They asked me to reply to an email address. The creature claimed to be a Doctor from Florida who wanted the laptop as a present for her daughter in the USA who was doing well in university and she wanted to surprise her with a gift. She said she was more than happy with my price of $500 and my description of the goods. I told her she might be better off to just send her daughter the money to buy her own as it would cost too much to post it from Australia. I signed the email Detective Senior Sergeant Rusty Panels, NSW Police Fraud Squad.
I received several other text messages of a similar nature and ended up just telling them to get a real job and to GFY.
Today I received yet another phone call from Perth W.A. this is one of several calls from Perth that I have received. A recorded male voice says that he is from an insurance company regarding an accident I have supposedly been involved in. It tells you that they require further information and to dial 1 for the claims department. I dialled 1 and the call ended. I rang them back a few minutes later and a male voice with a slightly English or maybe Asian accent answered with a "Hello!" I said I received a call from this number a short time ago and the call terminated. He said "Oh yes! that would be regarding a motor vehicle accident you were involved in My Friend" I said don't call me your friend you slimy something, something, something or other something!!! You can go forth and reproduce you rear opening of the lower part of the human anatomy!!!
He attempted to tell me that I was the one who called him (as if that was relevant?) I hung up.
I checked the number on the reverse phone lookup site and it has been reported by 16 others as being a scam phone number and they quoted similar messages. I also reported it to the Scamwatch site, not that that will do anything.
My frustration with all of this and the question that I want answered is, If I can ring this number back and have the offender answer it then why the hell can't the government trace the calls and arrest these filth bags who scam and steal money from so many more trusting people in our community? These dirtbags ruin peoples lives. The government needs to track them down and punish them.

If your interested the Perth Number is 08 62053608
Literally just had a call from the National Crime Authority advising that my tax file number has been hacked and they have put a hold on it, press 1 and they will fix it all up, he hung up when I identified myself as a Detective Inspector from the AFP so I guess he will sort it out for me quickly :)

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
We get calls every day on our landline, mobile, including texts etc. . I don't answer, reply, whatever, just ignore and delete texts. I keep telling my family, friends, associates that if your name does not come up you are not on my contact list I wont pick up. You had better leave a message or you will not hear from me. I admit it is hard for the missus not to pick up :p.

Kippie

I have call blocking on for private numbers and numbers that are not in my contact list. Blocked calls are automatically diverted to voicemail, so they can leave a message if they want to. Every day I get over 50 blocked calls and not one voicemail, so I figure they are all scam calls.

Fox67

At some point in time we will be so untrusting of any communications we receive that nothing will be actioned. I don’t answer my phone unless a contact, otherwise leave a message.

Albynsw

A guy I have been doing some work for is looking after an older neighbor who has dimenture. He has been scammed for over $150,000 so far with them ringing him up and talking him through the process of transferring money into their account
The only way he could stop it is to become the signatory on his bank account so when he needs money to live he takes him to the bank and gets out some cash for him

Bomber2012

A guy I have been doing some work for is looking after an older neighbor who has dimenture. He has been scammed for over $150,000 so far with them ringing him up and talking him through the process of transferring money into their account
The only way he could stop it is to become the signatory on his bank account so when he needs money to live he takes him to the bank and gets out some cash for him
That’s dreadful Alby , friggen scum bags should be shot .

FrankP

4G in our house is crap and intermittent so we keep a landline so we can phone out if we have to. Due to phone spam and scams, like Nicole from the NBN and others from a dusky nation very west of AUS we don't answer incoming calls. The phone is set to go to voicemail on the first ring. Message says "Due to spam we don't answer this phone. If you're a genuine caller, leave a message." We never get a message, which says something. Do they have a conscience and figure they are not genuine callers? LOL

Toyasaurus

I have been getting more and more call`s from some frigging polling or info collecting company in Sydney lately.
I keep asking these pricks where they got my number from the answer is always the Australian residential database.
I tell them that`s BS, this is an unlisted number and they hang up.

What is this database anyone know?

All I could find on the net was companies willing to sell databases of names, numbers and addresses.;
One company also would supply so called washed numbers, I`m guessing that would be people on the no call list of telstra`s.
The other was a list of people on rental housing database, I`ve never rented with a formal contract so I`m not on that one either.
I`d love to know how these assholes keep getting my number.

Petunia

I`d love to know how these ''lovely people'' keep getting my number.
Sorry, I had to rephrase that for you, now, these lovely people, as you so rightly put it can make slip ups if they are a bit dense, wait ... i meant not thinking properly.

One of these very lovely people happened by chance to ring me one day, I ever so politely interrupted them with ''WOO-UP, where did you get my number?"
Yellow pages ..... '''Err try again, not listed'' I politely said.
White pages ..... again I ever so politely replied with the same "not listed"
Hervey Normal data base ...... I then politely thanked them and wished the a long and fruitful life, told them that I thought they should go forth and multiply twofold, blessed them in latin and hebrew then ended the call ! [Bingo] !

I had by some random chance blown a laptop to bits, and purchased from said retailer a larger than normal one to replace it, I was asked for my phone number for ''Warranty Purposes'' never gave one thought sounded right.
After several moons came to pass, I again wanted to purchase an item I so desperately didn't need and was again asked for my phone number for warranty purposes. I think there is a picture of me hanging in a back room there, somewhere, with a note pinned on it, and two darts lodged in the eyeballs? I've never got good service since, nor have I cared, Lovely People at that store, I was ever so polite explaining where I thought they should lodge their said data base.

I do read 'terms and conditions' .... I don't have flybuys, I don't enter the 300$ fuel giveaway on the counter at the fish n chip shop I don't even put my number on the scouts raffle ticket, once was enough.
:cool:

mikehzz

They don't have to get your number from a database. They can just randomly ring numbers and see if they answer. A message bank often gives a name. You can program a computer to make the call, scavenge and interpret the results, then save the results in a database for real people to make use of. I've had quite a few calls where the line is silent and after a few seconds a computer voice simply says thank you, goodbye. I assume it's a computer. Even if you don't answer, the computer knows it's a live number by the message that happens if the number isn't in service. These days of unlimited voip calls at no cost means they can cheaply use a computer program like a terminator relentlessly hunting Sarah Connor.

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

Literally just had a call from the National Crime Authority advising that my tax file number has been hacked and they have put a hold on it, press 1 and they will fix it all up, he hung up when I identified myself as a Detective Inspector from the AFP so I guess he will sort it out for me quickly :)
I had one of those earlier last week as well. Told me he was from the NCA and crapped on with the same story. I just hung up. Unfortunately it was a computer generated voice so telling him to $&@$” had no effect.
The National Crime Authority hasn't existed since it combined with other departments and changed their name to Australian Crime Commission on January 1st 2003.

I still ask the question "In this day and age with all the technology and whizz kids in the world Why can't or don't they concentrate on catching this filth and stringing them up?"

Last edited by a moderator: