What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

discomatt

I would advise them to fact check, say nothing more than that then ask for a date to be heard in court, then after going to court let the hounds loose on mainstream crap news programs just for giggles

Albynsw

I would advise them to fact check, say nothing more than that then ask for a date to be heard in court, then after going to court let the hounds loose on mainstream crap news programs just for giggles
That is fine for the chest puffing aspect but you still have to waste a day going to court, fuel cost and parking costs . Been there done that,I would rather they just respond to a letter in your favour

Toyasaurus

Your SOL with that fine in Nowra.
I went through 2 weeks ago and they have changed the limit to 60 because of the new bridge construction.
Yes it is well sign posted,
Sorry.

discomatt

I checked the mail this morning and opened an envelope with a $123 traffic infringement notice for a speed camera offence that supposedly occurred a few weeks ago.
The alleged offence was for my wife's car which is registered in my name.

My wife travels to Wollongong from home every fortnight to do her mum's shopping and check on her well being. She has to travel through the armpit called Nowra which is where the alleged speed camera offence occurred.

The distance from the south end to the north end of Nowra is about 10 k's all of which is a 70kph zone. The only exception being a school zone at the north end. There is a well known speed camera situated in the middle of Nowra at the intersection of East Street (aka Princes Hwy) and Moss Street. The speed limit is 70 as stated.
I read the infringement notice and it gave the location to be northbound on East street at 7:30 am the photo showed my wife's car travelling at 69kph. It also stated that this was speeding as it reckoned the speed limit is 60.
I did some checking in case there has been a change to the speed limits but that is not the case. The speed limit is 70kph and has been for many years.
I have obtained photographic evidence to this fact and presented it to the infringement people along with a request for them to quash any infringements.

What cheeses me off about this is that the road through Nowra has massive amounts of traffic each way every day. I would hazard a guess that the bloke who serviced the camera last has set it to a limit of 60kph when it should have been 70. How many people would have received speeding fines when they weren't speeding? How many would have paid these fines without reading the notice carefully?

View attachment 69946
100 metres before camera
If it was in fact a 60 zone and you were in fact fined for exceding the speed limit you can apply to have the fine revoked and a formal warning issued.
The requirements are that you must not have any other infringements within 2 years prior to the alleged offense, you must be less than 10km above the posted limit and you must apply before the due date.
All you need to do is admit the offense, acknowledge the dangers of speeding, detail the circumstances ( weather, time, traffic flow, pedestrian traffic, side roads and the like , then admit it was simply a lapse in concentration and that you will endevour to be more attentive as you are well aware of the dangers of inadvertent speeding and distraction while driving

Warby

@#@##$%$!!!@@!!@@# I *hate* banks... Especially, at the moment, bloody NAB!!!

I get paid on the 15th of each month.. If that falls on a weekend or public holiday, it's the business day before.. Every month, when my pay goes in, I go through and make all of my required credit card and other payments.

March this year my pay went in on the evening of the 12th. I saw it and went about my usual bill payment processes... Then a couple weeks later I started getting messages from NAB about an overdue credit card payment. Contacted them and spent an hour or so later it turns out that because I made the payment before they had issued my statement (on the 13th), they counted the payment towards the CC balance but NOT towards the monthly required payment. A few weeks and many arguments later I finally got them to credit it towards that months payment as it was an issue I was unaware of and had never heard of. Lesson learned - Don't pay until they issue the statement.

Fast forward to November. Pay went in on the 13th. NAB issued my CC statement on the 13th. I checked it. Paid (more than) what was required and continued on my merry way. Now... today.. Im back on the phone arguing with them again because they claim that payment is now overdue. The kicker? Even though I paid after they issued the statement, they're now saying that it actually has to be paid "at least a day or two after the billing date"

WTF??!?!!! This is just stupid. If you hand me a bill that says "pay X" and I pay X - X is bloody PAID!

ARgh.

mikehzz

All the banks do that. We've been hit with late payment charges when we've paid already in the month. It's a total con. The only safe thing is to setup auto minimum payment, problem goes away.

Rojac

With Bupa if you don't pay before the payment is due like 2 - 3 days they tell you that you may not have cover, what a con you can't win, they want your money gaining interest in their accounts before its due.

Warby

All the banks do that. We've been hit with late payment charges when we've paid already in the month. It's a total con. The only safe thing is to setup auto minimum payment, problem goes away.
I'd never heard of or encountered the whole "you cant pay until after the statement is issued" thing before. That's an absolute con IMO but whatever, it's manageable - Just means the money sits in my account longer before it goes to them. But this one of having to wait a couple of days until AFTER you've received the statement CANT be right.

If their system generates a statement with an amount due and I pay that amount, after the statement is issued but before the due date, that is PAID. If their system says otherwise, that's an issue at their end - not mine... I'm sure as hell not going to be accepting any late fees.

CaptainBanana

I'd never heard of or encountered the whole "you cant pay until after the statement is issued" thing before. That's an absolute con IMO but whatever, it's manageable - Just means the money sits in my account longer before it goes to them. But this one of having to wait a couple of days until AFTER you've received the statement CANT be right.

If their system generates a statement with an amount due and I pay that amount, after the statement is issued but before the due date, that is PAID. If their system says otherwise, that's an issue at their end - not mine... I'm sure as hell not going to be accepting any late fees.
A long time ago I worked for one of the Big 4 banks and I was actually handling complaints mostly in consumer credit. There were and probably still are two main types of credit card cycles and that was the 44 and 55 days interest free varieties.

Depending on which card you have you will either have 14 or 25 days to pay your account and it is actually considered payment. Outside of those periods it is just considered a reduction of your balance - no con, no scam, just fine print and I was working there in the early 2000s so it's not new.

ANZ who I work for would wipe any interest or fees incurred as a one-off goodwill gesture but the fact was if you had money with the bank especially 100k plus either in available funds or loans/debt you could pull strings to make it go away repeatedly.

Warby

A long time ago I worked for one of the Big 4 banks and I was actually handling complaints mostly in consumer credit. There were and probably still are two main types of credit card cycles and that was the 44 and 55 days interest free varieties.

Depending on which card you have you will either have 14 or 25 days to pay your account and it is actually considered payment. Outside of those periods it is just considered a reduction of your balance - no con, no scam, just fine print and I was working there in the early 2000s so it's not new.

ANZ who I work for would wipe any interest or fees incurred as a one-off goodwill gesture but the fact was if you had money with the bank especially 100k plus either in available funds or loans/debt you could pull strings to make it go away repeatedly.
Statement is issued on 13th. Payment is made on 13th. That is definitely not outside of any 14 or 25 day period lol.

discomatt

Pay out the credit card and cancel it, we canned all our credit cards 6 years ago and will never go back, they are a money maker for banks not a convenience for you.
The only time I would consider another credit card is for overseas travel and then I would cancel it and cut it up as soon as I got home so you can't get stitched up with unapproved payments.

Bigfish1

Totally agree. I havent had
Pay out the credit card and cancel it, we canned all our credit cards 6 years ago and will never go back, they are a money maker for banks not a convenience for you.
The only time I would consider another credit card is for overseas travel and then I would cancel it and cut it up as soon as I got home so you can't get stitched up with unapproved payments.
Totally agree. They are a money trap. Have not had one for 12 years now. Missus has never had one at all. I use a Visa debit card . When travelling I load up the debit card and put a few thousand away in the car for bush purchases. Stuff the banks..

smitty_r51

Depends how you play the game, two credit cards, neither have fees.

Purchase goes on the credit card, that money is put away into a savings account, as soon as I get the statement saying money owed I go into the savings account and set up a payment for the full statement balance to pay working days in advance.

Never had a fee, get the additional online protections for using a cc, it's accepted nearly everywhere and they send me $100 bunnings vouchers for reward points every couple of months.

We always say we are a banks worse nightmare.