What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

Unsolicited phone calls, texts and emails are becoming a plague whether there's an election or not. Nothing shits me more lately.
I got sick of them at work so made up a fictitious worker and used to say that you need to speak to a Terry, he handles all those decisions and then put them on hold and keep them hanging there as long as I could or when they rang back would say he just stepped out of the office or is on another call, sick or on holidays and might even diverse the conversation to where he was on his holiday and had you been there? etc and tie them up as long as possible. I thought of it as a community service because it stopped them ringing someone else.
I had this going for about 5 years, Terry used to even get sent Christmas cards from some of the sales people hahaha. I had a spare desk set up in the office and had his name tag on it too.
It kept me amused anyway.

I also had a listing in the Chinese yellow pages for a pizza shop in Westfields that didn’t exist for a few years.......they rang me up so I made a listing:)

I thought it was the right-wing god-botherering evangelists who were 'righteous'?
They get so religious at election time, got to get that vote from the flock.
(Chapter IV verse 46, "The Bible Of Murdock and 2GB")

Yes, I am disgusted that their is no "truth in advertising" - generally, but especially at election time.
There should be a law so any pollie (any party) caught lying should have to publically apologise and if they keep doing it, lose their job.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/election-2019/2019/04/26/election-2019-paula-matthewson/
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...rrison-shorten-lingo-reveals-tactics/11046180
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...tions-claims-of-new-labor-taxes-actually-true

Another good article, about another business lying in order to feather their own nests, while brainwashed voters do their bidding.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...y-have-come-from-a-firm-of-real-estate-agents

This latest distortion of the truth from those with a vested interest in keeping their preferred party in power shows once again the need for the electoral laws to be change to enforce truth in advertising and in flyers and other material seeking to influence the election results.

It is not a democratic right to spread lies and to distort the truth indeed were that so then our Courts and legal system would be in disarray. Those who cry 'Freedom of Speech' in order to defend their lies should be reminded of this

Another good article, about another business lying in order to feather their own nests, while brainwashed voters do their bidding.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...y-have-come-from-a-firm-of-real-estate-agents
The Guardian’s article is biased as well telling half truths but just the same I don’t think Real Estate agents should be peddling politics.

The Hawke Keating govt abolished negative gearing when they were in power and it had a detrimental effect on rental prices as investors left the market creating a rental market shortage.........18 months later they reinstated it realising it was a mistake.

Here is the thing, if buying a rental property does not stack up financially, investors will take their money elsewhere for a better return ( when they abolished it last time I know a number of investors sold their properties and bought taxi licence plates with it as it was getting a better return. A taxi plate was about the same price as a unit)
So if the private sector of mum and dad type investors don’t provide rental properties on the market who will?
Will the government then have to start doing it and if they do you all know how cost inefficient that will be for our taxpayer money.

The Guardian’s article is biased as well telling half truths but just the same I don’t think Real Estate agents should be peddling politics.

The Hawke Keating govt abolished negative gearing when they were in power and it had a detrimental effect on rental prices as investors left the market creating a rental market shortage.........18 months later they reinstated it realising it was a mistake.

Here is the thing, if buying a rental property does not stack up financially, investors will take their money elsewhere for a better return ( when they abolished it last time I know a number of investors sold their properties and bought taxi licence plates with it as it was getting a better return. A taxi plate was about the same price as a unit)
So if the private sector of mum and dad type investors don’t provide rental properties on the market who will?
Will the government then have to start doing it and if they do you all know how cost inefficient that will be for our taxpayer money.
I honestly struggle to fathom how the guardian can still be regarded as a credible newspaper. It seems some so called journalists and many politicians have no interest in the lessons learned from past mistakes. And before anyone has a crack, this is true of all sides of politics.

I’m sure most have heard the very simple definition of insanity being repeating the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome.

Out here were we live rental homes are gone as soon as they are on the market , if it wasn't for folk having a go were would they live ?
You can still buy a house for $180,000 :)
Scomo said today he revised what you can claim on negative gearing as treasurer but never considered removing the claim .

I've always regarded negative gearing as sorta strange. It goes against my grain to buy an investment to loose money..... be it from the Tip Shop, Gumtree, a second hand car on the side of the road or a property. For me neg gearing sorta worked providing you were getting good capital gains and if you had a 200k p/a job to offset the high tax you were paying
2019, the property market has crashed in Darwin, as have rents, and the 200k jobs are long gone.
As I say, why invest to loose money ?
I don't think Shorten's changes to neg gearing and franking credits is going to impact negatively on the votes he will get come Saturday.... as most voters are not affected by the changes. But Alby is also right..... where will the rental properties come from if its no longer economically viable for Joe Bloggs to go into debt to buy an investment property ?

So, you believe the real estate industry are a more credible source of information than the ABC, Guardian, Gratton, etc? Or the cash-for-comment commercial media?
How can commercial media ever be considered impartial when their money comes from advertising? Oh yeah, they are going to do in-depth critical analysis of any industry which is paying them.

So, you believe the real estate industry are a more credible source of information than the ABC, Guardian, Gratton, etc? Or the cash-for-comment commercial media?
How can commercial media ever be considered impartial when their money comes from advertising? Oh yeah, they are going to do in-depth critical analysis of any industry which is paying them.
Mate I don’t have to believe in any of them I just use my own common sense and what I witnessed myself in the past in the Hawke Keating era to work it out. My wife was in real estate then working in rental in a Sydney working class area and that is exactly how it went.
Just stop a minute and think about it yourself logically without all the spriukers telling half truths. Ordinary Australians earning a decent salary get advised by their financial planners/ accountants the best way to maximise their income dollar via a variety of options including superannuation, shares and real estate etc.
If the rules change the advice they will be given will be other than a real estate investment as the numbers don’t stack up without negative gearing unless their is a big correction in the purchase price of housing but the rental prices stay the same. If that happens we would have a financial crisis so that is no good for any of us.

Think about it logically, what do you think the outcome will be? Investors buy with a calculator in their hand not their heart like owner occupier buyers. Life will go on for them and they will choose the best financial option available to them BUT if it isn’t realestate who is going to provide the rental accommodation the community needs and if there is a shortage what do you think will happen to the rent prices.
The whole reason negative gearing came into play in the first place was to entice investors to ease the social housing costs

Be careful what you wish for.

I honestly believe what you are saying is credible, particularly based on your experience and situation.

What I take exception with is the influencing of votes by industry through lobbying, advertising or other means, often very subtlety. As if a citizens well being is their concern.
And the assumption that the non-commercial media, with very little to gain either way, are not a valuable source of information. In many case the only source of information.

This is a very important election and I get angry when I see blatant lying, on all sides.

When real estate investors abandon the market, house prices may drop. This would enable first home buyers to get into the market and thus eases the demand for rentals. Which may cause more investors to flee the real estate market, so the whole thing may be a domino effect that will benefit those that thus far could not afford a house. It would also present bargains for investors who have converted their no more franked dividends into cash. Whenever some people lose money there is an opportunity for other people to make money. That's the way money goes around. You just have to time it right.

When real estate investors abandon the market, house prices may drop. This would enable first home buyers to get into the market and thus eases the demand for rentals. Which may cause more investors to flee the real estate market, so the whole thing may be a domino effect that will benefit those that thus far could not afford a house. It would also present bargains for investors who have converted their no more franked dividends into cash. Whenever some people lose money there is an opportunity for other people to make money. That's the way money goes around. You just have to time it right.
You are not wrong totally wrong mate, but, and one big but, is the amount of money tied up in real estate in Australia, is huge.

If there is a huge correction in property prices, it’s not just the so called “big end of town” that gets affected, there’s also Mum and dad investors, managed funds, retirees, the banks, and then there is the super funds.

Now the effects on the banks and the super funds alone are far too complex to go into without starting a new thread, but those factors alone would cause a financial crisis like Australia has never seen before.

As mentioned above, yeah some investors will get out in time, some first home buyers may come out on top, but at the end of the vast majority of us are the ones that loose.

So I’ll second what albynsw said and say be bloody careful what you wish for.

Well according to the article that G_ute posted in the Guardian they only expect that it would effect the housing prices by 1 to 2% which goes against their argument that it will allow first home owners into the market, if you cannot afford to get into the market now 2% price drop is not going to make a noticeable different to be a game changer for you. But when investors leave the marketplace ( about 10% of the market purchasers) I think it is a fair assumption that there will be less rental properties available for renters to occupy and that can only lead to pressure for rental price increases.

The Guardians article is only one prediction of the outcome, there are others that show a much bigger fluctuation regardless the Reserve Bank will do everything in its power to prevent any sizeable property price drops as Australia’s whole economy is geared around it and it would result in banks and financial institutions collapsing like they did in America during the GFC.
I know it sounds great that Labour will make all these “ wealthy “ people pay more tax but I do believe that the flow on effect will be much more detrimental to many others.

It really annoys me that both sides of the political spectrum overstate the outcomes with scare tactics or the benefits of their policies and there is no voice of reason in the middle calling it for what it is. I think they both get lost in the media campaign crap of scoring points against each other.

I honestly believe what you are saying is credible, particularly based on your experience and situation.

What I take exception with is the influencing of votes by industry through lobbying, advertising or other means, often very subtlety. As if a citizens well being is their concern.
And the assumption that the non-commercial media, with very little to gain either way, are not a valuable source of information. In many case the only source of information.

This is a very important election and I get angry when I see blatant lying, on all sides.
Yes I agree but I don’t think it will change and has always been the case but the lying and cheating seems to be getting worse each election campaign . The unions run one party and the business and industry end of town run the other.

When I started my apprenticeship in the building industry the unions were very militant and dictated the workplace which was very bad for business and our economy and turned me off them but I also know before my time the pendulum swung the other way and the workers were often taken advantage of and that is no good either.
What we need is a balance which I think in general we have now with all our wages and OH&S laws in place.

I am all for any party that keeps our economy strong because ultimately we all benefit from it