What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have found in most cases it is who you know rather than what you know. Followed by commitment, motivation, eagerness and a willingness to do anything and a never say can't do attitude.
How do I know?
Let's say the last three jobs I got after retrenchment at 52yrs.of age was starting at the bottom, taking a quarter of my original package, traveling Victoria ( never done that before), Managing Super market Stocktakes, then Manager cleaning of a local shopping Centre, and then fixing up bad credit ratings for people all over Melbourne.
What did I do before all that for 35 years?
Banking., from junior (year 10) to Regional Manager with 42 Branches and 750 staff.
Yep, counting in storerooms, cleaning toilets, and trying to fix people's bad debts.
got me through for another 13 years.
And it was who I knew that got me the jobs. I knew nothing about supermarket stocktakes, cleaning shopping centres or fixing up bad credit reports.

Chatty

Who says you need to stay in project management? Get a truck license, get a fork license, do a dogman and rigging course. Get your hands dirty buddy. Go do fruit picking. There are loads of jobs out there if you are willing to have a go at anything. As Gav said, show some enthusiasm and finding a job isn't hard.

It's not that simple. If you are an employer and you're given the choice between a 58 year old truck driver/fork driver/dogman/rigger who has never done the job before and a 35 year old who has been doing the job for 15-18 years who do you reckon you will give the job to?
Or a fruit farmer with the choice of a 20 year old backpacker or a 58 year old ex - manager who looks like the better choice?

I have applied for over 250 jobs since January - I am not sitting on my backside waiting for the world to come to me! Most days I apply for around 10 jobs - all of them at a lot less than what I have been earning and types of roles which I was doing 15 years ago.

I am not lacking enthusiasm!!

And BTW - I do have my truck license and fork license...

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Chatty

I have found in most cases it is who you know rather than what you know. Followed by commitment, motivation, eagerness and a willingness to do anything and a never say can't do attitude.
How do I know?
Let's say the last three jobs I got after retrenchment at 52yrs.of age was starting at the bottom, taking a quarter of my original package, traveling Victoria ( never done that before), Managing Super market Stocktakes, then Manager cleaning of a local shopping Centre, and then fixing up bad credit ratings for people all over Melbourne.
What did I do before all that for 35 years?
Banking., from junior (year 10) to Regional Manager with 42 Branches and 750 staff.
Yep, counting in storerooms, cleaning toilets, and trying to fix people's bad debts.
got me through for another 13 years.
And it was who I knew that got me the jobs. I knew nothing about supermarket stocktakes, cleaning shopping centres or fixing up bad credit reports.

Could not agree more Roger - and good on you for having a go. Here in Adelaide everyone I know is struggling to find work for their own people, much less for me.
Another company that I was looking really good to work for at less than half what I have been earning went broke last week.

RoughNReady

I'm a believer that there's always work around, so long as you believe something is better than nothing. I've done all sorts of things and been offered lots of varied jobs too.

I think it was Gavo on the last page that said turn up with CV in hand etc, and have ob specific CVs etc. That's true. I've even been told that by a case worker more than once. Having tailored CVs isn't misleading or lying. Having pages of irrelevant stuff scares off potential employers. If you feel you must, just briefly acknowledge the irrelevant skill set. There's no lying involved. Just elaborating on relevant areas.

If I were applying for a software development job I wouldn't go on about my fork and truck license, blue card etc. because it's just meaningless clutter.

Totally unrelated but what cheeses me off is the wierd "disease" that things on the network at home seem to get. This time it struck my phone. Same thing every time. From the router I can see the device. From another computer I can ping the device. But the device is blind. It can't ping anything or even open the router configuration page.
The only way I can fix it is to stuff around giving it a static IP and on the router add it to the static ARP table.
I really need a replacement ADSL router. This thing has done its dash I'm sure.
There's one I saw at the Men's Shed last time I was there I might try my luck with.

Something else that cheeses me off is keeping two cars for redundancy which is expensive, but made even worse when both break at the same time. I need to replace the water pump on the car and a drivers seat rail on the 4b. And my duty of care being so full on it's near impossible to even get out there to do it.
I have to make it happen today no matter what. I have a water pump ready to go, and I can't do much about the seat rail yet. I might weld and reinforce it for now until I can get a replacement.

prawns

Just somthing to check for perhaps mate -

On my router by default - no WIFI connections are allowed to access the router configuration page unless I specifically allow permissions for that device (for security reasons - stops somebody parking out front of your house and trying to hacking into your router configuration page)

Mine also had a "niggle" where a device was put in "cafe" mode by the router - that means the device had full internet access but no access to other devices on the LAN whatsoever (as per modems at cafes with free internet - every device has internet access, but are blocked from talking with other devices on the same network)

If you did a typo on the password for the device to connect to your LAN its also possible the modem stuck it into "guest" or "cafe" mode by default
as you didnt have a valid password (cafe mode connections usually dont require a password? so a wrong password could see you plonked into that connection as well)

Maybe a long shot - but perhaps worth checking if it saves you $100 for a new modem (its all I can think of anyway to try save you some $$ lols)
Its something that nearly caught me out on my last modem (my first one which had "guest" and "cafe" modes and things)

I also told my modem only to give out the IP range of 192.168.1.120 - 192.168.1.199

That meants if I set a static IP addresss for a device personally I use the IP range from 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.120 and know the modem wont give out a conflicting IP address to another device accidently in the future

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Could not agree more Roger - and good on you for having a go. Here in Adelaide everyone I know is struggling to find work for their own people, much less for me.
Another company that I was looking really good to work for at less than half what I have been earning went broke last week.

Thanks mate. I wish I was in the game and could do something for you.
Yes, I experienced the "Too old attitude" after retrenchment. Then a neighbor who worked at Franklins Supermarket asked me if I would like to go do some casual counting of stock where I got three hours work for the day.
I joined the stocktake team as a casual and about six months later I got a break because the Vic. Stocktake Manager retired. He found out my background and nominated me for the job. I went from storeroom counter pushing crates of stock on trolleys to managing over 330 grocery and liquor stocktakes in Victoria each year.
Still only got about a quarter of what I earned in the Bank though. I eventually quit on the spot after five years and went into cleaning.
I wish you the best of luck.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I really need a replacement ADSL router. This thing has done its dash I'm sure.
There's one I saw at the Men's Shed last time I was there I might try my luck with.

I have a brand new in the box Netgear WI FI router or is that meant to say modem? and all the attachments. As you can see not to tech. savy.
P.M. me if you reckon it is of any use to you.
Cheers.

Last edited:

prawns

I use modem/router interchangeably sorry as mine does both

In basic terms the modem (MOulator DEModulator) handles the internet connection, and the router is what handles connections between devices on the same network

Some devices do only one job or the other, but most half decent gear these days? are capable of both saving running 2 devices

Last edited:

Chatty

Thanks mate. I wish I was in the game and could do something for you.
Yes, I experienced the "Too old attitude" after retrenchment. Then a neighbor who worked at Franklins Supermarket asked me if I would like to go do some casual counting of stock where I got three hours work for the day.
I joined the stocktake team as a casual and about six months later I got a break because the Vic. Stocktake Manager retired. He found out my background and nominated me for the job. I went from storeroom counter pushing crates of stock on trolleys to managing over 330 grocery and liquor stocktakes in Victoria each year.
Still only got about a quarter of what I earned in the Bank though. I eventually quit on the spot after five years and went into cleaning.
I wish you the best of luck.

Which is why we have just started our own business. Today. :)

cloughcarib

Some very valid statements regarding obtaining a job.

Back home I used to skipper yachts and powerboats, private and offshore delivery. I have no qualifications as all the work back home was word of mouth. Since arriving in Australia 11yrs ago with just my wife and I we have had three children. With no ability to claim dole(or desire to if I could) I have kept my family supported by taking any work available. I always tried to seek my prefered jobs, but have taken whatever comes along. so far the list includes:

1. Brickies Labourer
  2. Boatyard Supervisor
  3. Travellift operator
  4. Brickies labourer
  5. Operations manager
  6. Building maintenance manager
  7. Boat repairer/fitter/rigger
  8. Yacht builder(FRP shed)
  9. Boat repairer/fitter/rebuilder
  10. Pamphlets/newspapers
  11. Scrap metal
  12. Mortuary transfers
  13. Mushroom farm works team supervisor
  14. Pamphlets/newspapers/scrap metal
  15. Mortuary transfers
  16. Production manager FRP factory
  17. Pamphlets

Right now I drive a loader

Ya just do what you've gotta do.

dno67

Yeah. Read in the paper that a another builder down gippy way has gone over. Seems that he has or will pull down a couple of subbies who are owed big time.

There's been 2 larger builders go in the last few months, what makes things worse is when you don't have much work and then people take 3 or 4 months sometimes longer to pay. They ring you and and offer to pay you when you turn up for the last job but dont pay for the new work done on the day, I usually throw the line at them, you don't offer to pay the supermarket for your groceries after you've eaten them or next time your hungry do you ?
30 years in the construction industry this year and still chipping away.:)

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I financed heaps of businesses, especially chippies, sparkies plumbers, brickies and other trades.
I take my hat off to all people running their own businesses because they are putting themselves and their assets on the line. My son in law is having heaps of trouble with a couple of debtors and he is currently talking a debtor to the small claims tribunal.
The most important part of your business is not contracts, quality, back up or whatever.
It is managing your debtors and recovery of your debtors.
And that is hard and requires a high degree of skill, effort, commitment and guts.
There are no friends in business.

dno67

I financed heaps of businesses, especially chippies, sparkies plumbers, brickies and other trades.
I take my hat off to all people running their own businesses because they are putting themselves and their assets on the line. My son in law is having heaps of trouble with a couple of debtors and he is currently talking a debtor to the small claims tribunal.
The most important part of your business is not contracts, quality, back up or whatever.
It is managing your debtors and recovery of your debtors.
And that is hard and requires a high degree of skill, effort, commitment and guts.
There are no friends in business.

I'm hearing ya, throw into that mix plenty of cashed up mine, ex desal or GMH workers or builders with there own gear that all want to have a go with the mind set first thing I'll do is cut rates to get some work and you almost have the complete picture.

Collie2012

Going on a 4wd trip with a group getting stuck and then having one of the other parents kids coming up to you with "your 4wd's $hit", "your tyres are $hit","your transmission is $hit". He was even picking on one of the younger kids who's dad has a SUV (wasnt on this trip) with your dads car is $hit. Felt like belting the little bugger. Will be avioding that group from now on.

hiluxdriver

Going on a 4wd trip with a group getting stuck and then having one of the other parents kids coming up to you with "your 4wd's $hit", "your tyres are $hit","your transmission is $hit". He was even picking on one of the younger kids who's dad has a SUV (wasnt on this trip) with your dads car is $hit. Felt like belting the little bugger. Will be avioding that group from now on.

lol cmon mate, your letting a kid get to you? Ask him where his 4wd was parked, when he says he doesnt have one, tell him he is shit and should shut the hell up until he gets one, then push him in the mud lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

underdog

lol cmon mate, your letting a kid get to you? Ask him where his 4wd was parked, when he says he doesnt have one, tell him he is shit and should shut the hell up until he gets one, then push him in the mud lol.
HAHAHA almost pissed myself picturing Jase push a little kid into the mud hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: