What 4b to get

Dandw

What's your intended use?
What area do you live in?
Bought the little Jeep 10 years ago.
Great versatile vehicle.
In the last year its driven the streets of Melbourne.
Tackled some of Victoria's hardest tracks.
Done the High country.
Wheeled all of NSWs hard tracks.
Been to Dubbo.
Been up to Coffs and wheeled there ,with 150 other Jeeps.
Jeep community is fantastic, your buying into a family, not a 4by. View attachment 73552
Looking to use it for work mostly, then weekend trips to glasshouse/kennilworth and around there and some touring but nowhere near as much and I am in brisbane.

Dandw

Regarding the petrol vs diesel cost. Fuel will cost you more in the petrol, but your servicing costs are cheaper. In the long run, there isn't a big difference. The main difference is purchase price, fuel range and towing, diesels use less fuel, so you can have a greater range for the same amount of fuel storage. The more constant range torque of a diesel is better for towing.

I have a 4.5 patrol on petrol/gas (owned for about 13 years now). About 90 L gas tank gets me 400 km's, and 60 L petrol tank gets me 300 km's. The best fuel consumption I have ever gotten was 16 L/100km's, on petrol, highway driving behind trucks. I recently did a desert trip and carried 60 L in jerries to bump my range up (as gas was not available in the area). The car can do most areas, except for something like a Canning Stock Route trip. Short of changing my gas tank back to petrol.

The 4.2 petrol patrol is prob the worst motor out of what you mentioned (although it still works). I think the 1FZ and 4.5 are on par. The 4.8 was a fair upgrade to the 4.5 (in regards to performance). Advice I heard from a Toyota mechanic, was avoid putting the land cruisers on gas (don't know the reason). And also avoid 4.8's with gas, as the cam valve adjustments are expensive compared to 4.5 and 4.2's (4.5's are an older style that you can use a spanner to adjust, while the 4.8's need shims). Think I was quoted $300 to adjust them on my 4.5 (I adjust them myself now), while he said the 4.8's are more like $800, there goes any fuel savings between gas and petrol.

The general recommendation, is if you're worried about fuel/running costs, don't buy a 4wd hehe. Otherwise you can generally make work and be happy with whatever you buy.
Would a LN series hilux be worth it or a 4jj colly/rodeo? Heard their slow but nearly indestructible.

linuxfan66

something i will bring up: a old 70 or 80 or patrol with high kms is *reliable*.
HOWEVER, because they have done kms they are still gonna break alot from ancient parts that are worn out from age and mileage. the only way you'd see an 80 series on par with its original new reliablity now is if you found one where every single part that could fail has been replaced.
parts of note for issues like this: fuel pumps, suspensions, engine mounts, fuel system in general, cooling system, and turbos. doesnt matter how good it was when new. its not new anymore

something i will bring up: a old 70 or 80 or patrol with high kms is *reliable*.
HOWEVER, because they have done kms they are still gonna break alot from ancient parts that are worn out from age and mileage. the only way you'd see an 80 series on par with its original new reliablity now is if you found one where every single part that could fail has been replaced.
parts of note for issues like this: fuel pumps, suspensions, engine mounts, fuel system in general, cooling system, and turbos. doesnt matter how good it was when new. its not new anymore
This is the situation I'm in. 1991 80 Series that has had *deep breath* new engine mounts, rear diff rebuild, gearbox rebuild, turbo and fuel pump rebuilt, new radiator and the head is will come off this year sometime for a refurb and a new gasket. This is on top of standard stuff like all new bushes, new springs and shocks, wheel bearings etc.

Drive like new though! Lol

Dandw

Yeah that’s cost a bit too, I’m just wondering what’s the best car for my Ps

linuxfan66

Yeah that’s cost a bit too, I’m just wondering what’s the best car for my Ps
pajero, the best priced highly capable and solid as a rock
even easy to get mods if you want them. the diesel is reasonably priced and rock solid, the petrol i have no complaints with bar fuel economy which is par for course. the super select gearbox is the best 4wd drive train i have EVER driven.