What 4b to get

Dandw

Hi, I’m wanting a 4bie as my first car and I’ve narrowed it down to 80 series or patrol due to coils all round and decent motors from what I’ve heard. Obviously the td42 and 1hdt would be the best motors possible but too expensive. So I think the petrols would be the best way to go. Which one should I go for? 1FZ or tb42 or 45 or 48?

Toyasaurus

I think you would have more luck with a patrol, the 4.8 is an excellent donk and I think it has a 5sp auto behind it.

Finding a good 80 series will be difficult to say the least.

Either way be ready for some hip pocket pain, they all drink like thirsty sailors.

Dandw

I think you would have more luck with a patrol, the 4.8 is an excellent donk and I think it has a 5sp auto behind it.

Finding a good 80 series will be difficult to say the least.

Either way be ready for some hip pocket pain, they all drink like thirsty sailors.
Hahha yep, heard that they drink like my uncle but I think it’s worth buying a pretty good quality petrol than a rust bucket with 600,000k kilometres I reckon.

I’ve also heard that the petrols are cheaper over time and require less maintenance.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hahha yep, heard that they drink like my uncle but I think it’s worth buying a pretty good quality petrol than a rust bucket with 600,000k kilometres I reckon.

I’ve also heard that the petrols are cheaper over time and require less maintenance.
Nah . Don't buy a petrol or you have to be on a fantastic wage.
That's from some one who owns a 3f and having LPG as well . 22 litres per 100 ks. On petrol and gas. .
And my Grandson has an 80 on petrol and he drives his sister's Astra to survive..

Dandw

Nah . Don't buy a petrol or you have to be on a fantastic wage.
That's from some one who owns a 3f and having LPG as well . 22 litres per 100 ks. On petrol and gas. .
And my Grandson has an 80 on petrol and he drives his sister's Astra to survive..
Ok cheers mate, 22 per hundred is horrible I’ll have to wait for prices to drop i guess

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok cheers mate, 22 per hundred is horrible I’ll have to wait for prices to drop i guess
Understand what you are on about. The 80's are bloody good 4by's. I bought a petrol 75 3f because I reckoned it was cheaper and service repairs etc was cheaper also.
That's true, however not only drinks a lot, also when I travelled remote, even though gas was cheaper, it was not always available. Even in Tassie.
Anytime you want a chat DM me and all good. Cheers.

Dandw

Understand what you are on about. The 80's are bloody good 4by's. I bought a petrol 75 3f because I reckoned it was cheaper and service repairs etc was cheaper also.
That's true, however not only drinks a lot, also when I travelled remote, even though gas was cheaper, it was not always available. Even in Tassie.
Yea thanks man, I was looking for a petrol 80 or patrol because of how cheap they are for how good condition it is. But yeah I don’t have the money to keep fueling it up all the time.

Dandw

What would you recommend then?

linuxfan66

What would you recommend then?
i would recomend pajero, dmax, or diesel holden rodeo/isuzu dmax. however in seriousness, nothing good is cheap right now. if you want something cheap and doesnt have horrendous downsides. walk away now. they are gone.
while i think about it zd30 gu patrol. you *can* make them work. but risky so note that.

cam04

I couldn’t make diesel 80 series stack up financially when I was buying one new 30 years ago (Diesel was almost $10k more). And I still can’t. My old manual 1fzfe ‘80 averaged 19/100 towing a builders trailer and 17/100 empty. It is now somewhere between 400-500 000 kms old and still hasn’t had the head off it and is within new vehicle compression tolerances. Any TD 80, 4.2 TD patrol etc is going to struggle to get below 14-15 / 100 kms. For the stupid premium they want for the diesel, I’d pay the tax at the pump and get on with it. My old man drove it in convoy with me driving an RC Colorado on the French line/waa line and used exactly the same amount of petrol as I did diesel. The Colorado was auto and needed low range a bit to not cook the box. No such issues with the cruiser that idled through everything and got into Birdsville on about 110 litres for the crossing. That was 2009 when it was dry.
4wd monthly did a comparo once between the petrol and TD 80 and concluded that you’d need to do 350,000 kms in the diesel before you broke even on purchase price alone. And that was when diesel was a lot cheaper than petrol. Then there’s the mechanical failures the diesel’s had - big ends anyone?
Don’t believe the hype that diesels are a lot cheaper. They need twice as much servicing (in the models you are looking at) and cost a bomb to repair. Last I checked a brand new 1fzfe crate long motor from Toyota was about $7k.

boobook

@Dandw , your profile says you are 16. Is that right? If so you have time to consider this more.

Assuming you are about that age, this is my advice.

You will see modded 80's and GU's in the magazines and it is tempting to think they are the only decent two vehicles that you can 4wd in. Any 4wd's capabilities will far exceed your capability, for many years to come unless you want to drive mud holes and rocks. In which case allocate even more money as it is tough on vehicles and you can expect serious repair bills and shitty looking dented panels.

Any 4wd you get will cost a lot of money, and if you get a thirsty, old 4wd, it will drain every spare cent you have. You will be permanently broke through Uni or your apprenticeship if you get something that constantly needs petrol and repairs.

Depending on your budget, a later year Pajero or the ones Linuxfan mentioned will give you much more fun, less km, less heartache on the side of the road, and less running costs. And it will be later with more safety specs too.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Boobook has a good point about variety of vehicles. I 4wd with a couple groups and all have various vehicles in the convoy, from the big wagons (patrols/land cruisers), smaller wagons (pajeros, prados etc) to dual cab utes, and occasionally a little suzuki.

They all make it to the end of the trip and navigate the same obstacles. Each vehicle does need to approach it differently though. Typically, the smaller wagons and utes need at least a rear diff lock to keep similar off-road performance to the big wagons. The big wagons with diff locks fitted are a class above because of the extra flex in the suspension, so if you are looking to do hard rocky tracks with big steps, a big wagon is a more capable option. While moderate tracks, or general 4wd touring, any 4wd vehicle can do.

It really depends on what you are aiming to do with your 4wd.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Regarding the petrol vs diesel cost. Fuel will cost you more in the petrol, but your servicing costs are cheaper. In the long run, there isn't a big difference. The main difference is purchase price, fuel range and towing, diesels use less fuel, so you can have a greater range for the same amount of fuel storage. The more constant range torque of a diesel is better for towing.

I have a 4.5 patrol on petrol/gas (owned for about 13 years now). About 90 L gas tank gets me 400 km's, and 60 L petrol tank gets me 300 km's. The best fuel consumption I have ever gotten was 16 L/100km's, on petrol, highway driving behind trucks. I recently did a desert trip and carried 60 L in jerries to bump my range up (as gas was not available in the area). The car can do most areas, except for something like a Canning Stock Route trip. Short of changing my gas tank back to petrol.

The 4.2 petrol patrol is prob the worst motor out of what you mentioned (although it still works). I think the 1FZ and 4.5 are on par. The 4.8 was a fair upgrade to the 4.5 (in regards to performance). Advice I heard from a Toyota mechanic, was avoid putting the land cruisers on gas (don't know the reason). And also avoid 4.8's with gas, as the cam valve adjustments are expensive compared to 4.5 and 4.2's (4.5's are an older style that you can use a spanner to adjust, while the 4.8's need shims). Think I was quoted $300 to adjust them on my 4.5 (I adjust them myself now), while he said the 4.8's are more like $800, there goes any fuel savings between gas and petrol.

The general recommendation, is if you're worried about fuel/running costs, don't buy a 4wd hehe. Otherwise you can generally make work and be happy with whatever you buy.

discomatt

Advice I heard from a Toyota mechanic, was avoid putting the land cruisers on gas (don't know the reason)
It is due to the heads burning out because of the hotter burn with LPG, they do go OK and last if you set up the heads correctly with different valves and seats but by the time you do that it costs more than you will save in fuel costs unless you do about 150,000km on gas , its a lot of driving before you break even.
They only last 100 to 150,000 before the heads die without the upgrade

Rusty Panels

The way the fuel prices are going we'll all be super fit from having to walk everywhere.

This could be our next trip into the High Country!

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 09.13.28.png

nitrobrent

What's your intended use?
What area do you live in?
Bought the little Jeep 10 years ago.
Great versatile vehicle.
In the last year its driven the streets of Melbourne.
Tackled some of Victoria's hardest tracks.
Done the High country.
Wheeled all of NSWs hard tracks.
Been to Dubbo.
Been up to Coffs and wheeled there ,with 150 other Jeeps.
Jeep community is fantastic, your buying into a family, not a 4by.
20210503_142646.jpg

boobook

What's your intended use?
What area do you live in?
Bought the little Jeep 10 years ago.
Great versatile vehicle.
In the last year its driven the streets of Melbourne.
Tackled some of Victoria's hardest tracks.
Done the High country.
Wheeled all of NSWs hard tracks.
Been to Dubbo.
Been up to Coffs and wheeled there ,with 150 other Jeeps.
Jeep community is fantastic, your buying into a family, not a 4by. View attachment 73552

I recon a Jeep would be a fantastic first 4wd for adventuring, less so for touring IMHO. Less km on the clock, go anywhere. And I'm guessing not too hard on the pocket. Nitro, did they go up much over the last year or so?

nitrobrent

I recon a Jeep would be a fantastic first 4wd for adventuring, less so for touring IMHO. Less km on the clock, go anywhere. And I'm guessing not too hard on the pocket. Nitro, did they go up much over the last year or so?
They went up like everything.
Depends if you want to pay the ridiculous prices people are asking.
Could get this twin arb lockers for $15,000.
Might need a few things doing to it.
For the same price you could probably get a stock 80 with 700,000kms
Screenshot_20220515-103548_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dandw

@Dandw , your profile says you are 16. Is that right? If so you have time to consider this more.

Assuming you are about that age, this is my advice.

You will see modded 80's and GU's in the magazines and it is tempting to think they are the only decent two vehicles that you can 4wd in. Any 4wd's capabilities will far exceed your capability, for many years to come unless you want to drive mud holes and rocks. In which case allocate even more money as it is tough on vehicles and you can expect serious repair bills and shitty looking dented panels.

Any 4wd you get will cost a lot of money, and if you get a thirsty, old 4wd, it will drain every spare cent you have. You will be permanently broke through Uni or your apprenticeship if you get something that constantly needs petrol and repairs.

Depending on your budget, a later year Pajero or the ones Linuxfan mentioned will give you much more fun, less km, less heartache on the side of the road, and less running costs. And it will be later with more safety specs too.
Yeah I understand that they drink a lot and the main reason I’m looking at them is I want some comfort since I’ll be driving a bit, I’m nearly on my Ps so I only got a year and a bit to buy a car cause I’ll just use my old man’s for the time being.

Dandw

Regarding the petrol vs diesel cost. Fuel will cost you more in the petrol, but your servicing costs are cheaper. In the long run, there isn't a big difference. The main difference is purchase price, fuel range and towing, diesels use less fuel, so you can have a greater range for the same amount of fuel storage. The more constant range torque of a diesel is better for towing.

I have a 4.5 patrol on petrol/gas (owned for about 13 years now). About 90 L gas tank gets me 400 km's, and 60 L petrol tank gets me 300 km's. The best fuel consumption I have ever gotten was 16 L/100km's, on petrol, highway driving behind trucks. I recently did a desert trip and carried 60 L in jerries to bump my range up (as gas was not available in the area). The car can do most areas, except for something like a Canning Stock Route trip. Short of changing my gas tank back to petrol.

The 4.2 petrol patrol is prob the worst motor out of what you mentioned (although it still works). I think the 1FZ and 4.5 are on par. The 4.8 was a fair upgrade to the 4.5 (in regards to performance). Advice I heard from a Toyota mechanic, was avoid putting the land cruisers on gas (don't know the reason). And also avoid 4.8's with gas, as the cam valve adjustments are expensive compared to 4.5 and 4.2's (4.5's are an older style that you can use a spanner to adjust, while the 4.8's need shims). Think I was quoted $300 to adjust them on my 4.5 (I adjust them myself now), while he said the 4.8's are more like $800, there goes any fuel savings between gas and petrol.

The general recommendation, is if you're worried about fuel/running costs, don't buy a 4wd hehe. Otherwise you can generally make work and be happy with whatever you buy.
Hahah yeah I’m not too worried about running costs I’m just looking for the lowest possible and most reliable as hard to die so it’s worth my money over time.