Weekend in Brindabella NP.

Andrew_LN65

Cool report, we were there just a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed Brindabella. We camped at flea creek also, what a nice spot!
Keen to go back and explore the area a bit more....

Taking the Gentle Annie Track out of the site, the LandCruiser was forced to warm up at an angle, although shorter, this track is steeper than our entry and we were in first gear low until we let some more air out of the tyres. Using second gear more comfortably, we then found the main road.
Had a giggle at this though. I had an absolute ball climbing up Gentle Annie, wish we'd got it on video.
30psi in AT/MT hybrids, 2wd, high 1st, 3-4000rpm all the way up without bogging down or losing traction anywhere.
I did warm it up before we took off though :)

smitty_r51

Yeah... Flea Creek gets busy but if you came in on webbs Ridge you were closer to Lowell flat and then mcintyres hut. Usually find yourself some quiet space on the river bank... Would have taken longer to do webbs Ridge... Last time we did it it rained the whole track... Made Gentle Annie anything but!

Last edited:

lieslmogensen

Hi all, a weekend trip we did in early September.

It was my birthday, and I was in the mood for finding somewhere new, and in low range. A few hours south of Sydney, or a stone’s throw from Canberra; Brindabella National Park looms, ready for the explorer and escapist alike.

https://rlhydnoverland.com/weekend-brindabella-national-park/
loved the recount! Friends and I are planning on heading to Flea Creek Campground from Canberra in 2 weeks (October). Is the road from the entrance of the Brindabella ranges to Flea Creek Campground suitable for 2WD? You mentioned that it was quite gentle. Thanks

mikehzz

loved the recount! Friends and I are planning on heading to Flea Creek Campground from Canberra in 2 weeks (October). Is the road from the entrance of the Brindabella ranges to Flea Creek Campground suitable for 2WD? You mentioned that it was quite gentle. Thanks
Definitely not 2wd. Gentle Annie is a very steep track.

smitty_r51

Yeah, you are not getting into Flea Creek camp from any direction in two wheel drive, webbs Ridge is steep as well and the slightest rain turns both roads into slippery clay. Two wheel drive I would stay on Brindabella road another hour and camp at emu or Dubbo flat or in Bondo forest

mikehzz

You can camp at the little campground below Mt Coree. The road in from Piccadilly is flat but bumpy from memory?

smitty_r51

You can camp at the little campground below Mt Coree. The road in from Piccadilly is flat but bumpy from memory?
Got chopped up in the snow the other week... Lot of traffic while it was wet but I have seen 2wd in the campgrounds... Not sure I would be driving mine in but that could be me.

synchro

Two Sticks Road from Picadilly Circus is relatively flat at the southern end as it winds around the sides of the ranges, not up and over them - however as with most fire trails is is very bumpy with holes, rocks and tree roots. In good conditions it is 2wd with caution and I have even spotted a Mazda 626 station wagon at the very last bend near the top of My Coree just before the jump up - so anything is possible.

Forget Flea Creek - Gentle Annie is like talc powder in the dry that turns to slippery clay in the wet - it has been raining for the last two weeks so not a good place to go.

Overall, dont consider taking any 2wd any where in the Brindies other than Brinabella Road.