Weekend Camping in VIC

Triplayhard

Looking for a good spot in Vic not too far from Melbourne for a friday night setup.Have done Lerderderg a couple of times. we want to drive saturday camp the night then drive half of sunday and back home sunday arvo. Have 5 4wds in convoy so need a bit of space to camp. The cars are My Triton, NS paj standard, Disco 2 td5 standard , D22 Navara standard, D40 Navara with bar winch etc. Would like a decent long drive, but obviously big ruts are an issue for std vehicles. River crossings are good, we all have breathers and recovery points, and the boys are willing to give most challenging terrain a go. Were looking for tracks up Thompson river way, maybe the high country.

Any suggestions??

Grumpy

Hi there Triple, might I suggest the great areas above Thompson Dam in Gippsland and in particular O'Tooles Camping Ground or Aberfeldy Camping Ground, this is one of Victoria's great 4x4 playgrounds, hope this gives u the inspiration to try out my backyard.

Triplayhard

yeah been wanting to get up that way for a drive for a while now!! Thats why i bought the truck in the first place. Thanks for the suggestion! any idea of maps i should buy? many seasonal closures etc?

Grumpy

Purchase Walhalla - Woods point map in the Rooftops maps available at Most camping stores or army disposal shops, Cheers Also look up DSE site for track closures.

BUSHNUT

Another spot is up past Warburton where you can use the old rec hut area for camping and pick your tracks to go out from there , speak to Rossco alias 4X4 , he has a fair idea whats good in that area . check DSE and Parks for road closures .

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Lots of tracks behind Warburton a seasonal and closed by now leaving mostly bush roads open. There is also the Toolangi/Murindini area but I'm not sure how much was closed off after summer.

Davidman

Plenty of tracks ( and campsites ) east from Neerim South, not too far from Melbourne, only 30 or 40 minutes past Pakenham. Have a look at the tracks section. There are plenty of tracks in this area. A good camping location is on the Latrobe River Road where it crosses the Latrobe River. There are usually a few tents up there every weekend, but still plenty of space for half a dozen rigs , tents etc. Majority of the tracks are also open with difficulty ranging from easy to difficult. If you want hard ones, try LM South Sutton Track, Hard Up Haul Track etc.

Triplayhard

cheers guys, will be putting together a few weekends in about a month or so - work is too busy to go this weekend (wish i could though) did a bit of a reccie in the work car (not 4wd) out in Bunyip today as i was out that way for work- it seemed like most tracks well the ones i saw) were closed for good (not just seasonally) beautiful area though, had to keep winding the windows down to smell the bush- wish i had chucked the saw and swag in!!

Grey Ghost

cheers guys, will be putting together a few weekends in about a month or so - work is too busy to go this weekend (wish i could though) did a bit of a reccie in the work car (not 4wd) out in Bunyip today as i was out that way for work- it seemed like most tracks well the ones i saw) were closed for good (not just seasonally) beautiful area though, had to keep winding the windows down to smell the bush- wish i had chucked the saw and swag in!!

Don't ya luv being in the area knowing you don't have the time or equipment for quick play????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Triplayhard

completely unprepared!!!

Yeah next time i'm out that way i'll take the triton! it's just not the same in a Mazda6 wagon!! got a little fast cornering going though!!!:cool:

Offrdn60

Looking for a good spot in Vic not too far from Melbourne for a friday night setup.Have done Lerderderg a couple of times. we want to drive saturday camp the night then drive half of sunday and back home sunday arvo. Have 5 4wds in convoy so need a bit of space to camp. The cars are My Triton, NS paj standard, Disco 2 td5 standard , D22 Navara standard, D40 Navara with bar winch etc. Would like a decent long drive, but obviously big ruts are an issue for std vehicles. River crossings are good, we all have breathers and recovery points, and the boys are willing to give most challenging terrain a go. Were looking for tracks up Thompson river way, maybe the high country.

Any suggestions??

have u been up to smythsdale. just past ballarat?, i have been there once about 5 years ago - would be good to check it out again. Bit closer than o'tooles

DazzaMTD

have u been up to smythsdale. just past ballarat?, i have been there once about 5 years ago - would be good to check it out again. Bit closer than o'tooles

Last weekend i went up to Mt Buangor/ Mt Cole state park, which is near beaford not far past ballarat. Some good beginners tracks and some awsome veiws and walking tracks around, plus was very quiet:D might have been the sub zero temps!!:eek:
Good smallish park to check out i would recommend it for a weekender

Grey Ghost

Last weekend i went up to Mt Buangor/ Mt Cole state park, which is near beaford not far past ballarat. Some good beginners tracks and some awsome veiws and walking tracks around, plus was very quiet:D might have been the sub zero temps!!:eek:
Good smallish park to check out i would recommend it for a weekender

And when passing thru Beaufort, drop in to the back pub (near the rail line) for a feed..... its the best one of the 2 in town up there.