Webber or Rebuild Nikki

Big Matt

Just after some input

Im looking to replace the Nikki carb on the GQ with a Webber carb of an XF
From all the digging ive done, most of the feed back is positive with power gains and fuel use dropping a significant amount.
Given the cost of a carb rebuild on a Nikki, and the cost of a second hand XF carb + rebuild kit, the Webber is looking like the best bet by a long way

Has anyone had any experience with this ?

Cheers

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Didn't they have Stromi's on them?

If you can get a plate to fit the Webber definately go for that..

Big Matt

If you can get a plate to fit the Webber definitely go for that..

The GQ def has a Nikki on it (well mine does LOL), and the XF has a webber :)
Apparently redline do a carb adapter for it, but if not i own an engineering firm so have access to CNC machines etc, so ill make it fit one way or another
From what i read the jetting is pretty good given they similar size motors, but i been told it might idle a bit lean

rickgq

had a webber on my old gq engine and it use to run like shit on steep angel's and if the front of the truck was facing up it would flood and not start, it came down to webber off a falcon is not designed to run at stupid angel's so i rebuilt the stock one for 270 bucks at burwood carby's and threw it back on ran like a dream. As for fuel usage it was actualy worst with the webber i think it was the mechanical secondaries that effected that..

Big Matt

Cheers for the input I'll check that out.
Havnt heard of any problems from the other stuff I read, but I'll definantly keep that in mind. The other option was factory efi but that's a bit costly

rickgq

yeah all depends what kind of offroad you do, alot of people out there just hit up trails and small shit so there comments are based on that kind of driving, but theres nothing worst than being stuck on a big angle and your mates are under the car packing rocks and your there trying to battle with the exellorator to keep the engine running. mate of mine from coffs harbour went full gas and apparently he had the thing upside down and it was still running he had to switch it off with the key before it spun a bearing cos it lost oil pressure lol

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I tend to agree, there are the standard type webers but there are the IDE down or side draft Webers. I personally would go for the side draft 45 or 50mm.

Big Matt

Rickgq I have gas at the moment and I'll prolly keep it for the time being but it's a pain in the arse koz when its hot you cant get gas in it and the economy is sh1t. This is the reason I want to get the fuel in it over gas.
I'm going to do some more research and see how we go, I might look at factory efi as well.
Anyone know where the sensors run from ? Is it crank angle etc ?

Cheers

Big Matt

I tend to agree, there are the standard type webers but there are the IDE down or side draft Webers. I personally would go for the side draft 45 or 50mm.

That's another option as well I guess, wonder what fuel usage would be like, might have to have a look at how to mount one

rickgq

Yeah mate you need the efi dizzy that has the crank angle sensor, the inlet manifold has the coolant temp sensor and the tps and they run an air flow meter, not sure about the carby cam and the efi cam being the same, plus you need to get a efi fuel
Sender unit which bolts straight into the stock tank. It's a big stuff around but will open up options for future turbo charging made easy :)

Big Matt

Funny you should say that, turbo in on the cards, getting parts sorted already but its a longer term project so i need to sort something in the meen time
Been told the EFI GQ's have less grunt than the carb, but ill be getting an aftermarket EMS so that might make up for it

For now though its sort out a carb