Weather Up The Cape

shinysideUP

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Heading off to Cape York next year in June. What temperatures do the days and nights get to around that time off year? Deciding on what type of sleeping arrangements we should go for and whether we'll need our -4 sleeping bags or not.
Also, while I'm here... What are the Mozzies and Midgees like up there? Are we going to be eaten alive?

Thanks in Advance - Andrew

Lost 2

Hello Andrew,

I have a mate going up June this year. When he gets back i will pick his brain and get all the details.

Long way off. But glad you have the opportunity to do it. On my bucket list.

I am sure you will get a lot of different feed back and good advice.

Would be good to tag along but just cannot see it happening at this stage.

Then again gives me a lot of time to plan?

Always have itchy feet. but never commit unless i am certain.

Cheers.

Lost 2

Hello Andrew,

I have a mate going up June this year. When he gets back i will pick his brain and get all the details.

Cheers.

jack48

Keep your eye on weather forecasts this year Andrew, but you will not need -4 s/bags. You will be in shorts when you hit the Capricorn if not earlier.
As for mozzies etc, they can be bad, and aerogaurd seems useless, Weipa was the worst for midgees and mozzies were generally OK but had to wear full skin cover several times especially on dusk and later.
Have a great trip

shinysideUP

So the nights don't get freezing cold like in the desert areas of Australia? Maybe bathing in Bushman's every night might keep the Mozzies away. :eek:

shinysideUP

Hello Andrew,

Cheers.

Your more than welcome to tag along Laurie. Plenty of time to plan it.

richardlnsw

Once you get further than Cairns the nights stay warm. We just had a sheet over the top of us, some nights I was still hot in the tent and sat in my reclining chair for a while.
Once you get to late June and into July it can get cold down around Rockhampton, depending on the weather fronts etc. We got hit with some really cold weather at Rocky and the nights were in the high single figures, and there was a really cold wind all day. (maybe it was just a freak of a front:confused: but if it happens once it can happen again. I would recommend some warm clothes for the trip home but in the Cape it is sensational. Hope this helps.

lindarenee

Going to Cape this year.:)

Hey,

Were heading off in 6 weeks time and cant wait. Hoping to have heaps of pics and videos to boot!!

Keep us in mind and can update you later.

:):) :)

muzza01

I have gone up in June plenty of times. Great time of year with beautiful sunny days. The sea temps are warm enough to have a bath in each day.

If camping on the lower area of the Cape, every day will be either 27 or 28 degrees and overnight near the coast won't get below 20 degrees. :cool:

As you get up near the top, the daily temp is a bit warmer at around 29-30 and around 20-21 overnight.

If you are a fair way inland it can get cold overnight, maybe 15 degrees.

So going up the cape winter is the busy season hey? Does it get impassable during Summer? I feel like I've missed the boat in going while the capse is still romote. I've heard they're going up there in falcons now...

TonyF8

You'll have some of the most plasant weather in june, nights around 20-22 and the days 27-30. You should still pack say trackpants and a light jumper, you just never know, bit warmer on the western side than the east at night.
Drive safe.
Tony F8

TonyF8

I can tell you it has changed since I first went up there in the mid 80's. But the tele track will always be the tele track. Yes you can drive the PDR with a 2wd, but that is really a service road, but in the early days, even the PDR was a bit of a trial.
Remember floating vehicles across the Wenlock at the Moreton crossing, its now bridged and has been since 2001.
TonyF8.

shinysideUP

Thanks for that guys. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Cant wait now... bring on 2015 :D