• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Water Leak in Mitsubishi Challenger?

GPS Guru

My son sent me these pics from his Challenger today and I suspect a water leak to state the obvious! The reservoir was nearly empty. I’m wondering if it would be just a case of replacing the hose or could it be something more sinister? It’s a 2011 model with the 2.5 diesel.
Also, any recommendations for a good four wheel drive mechanic in Brisbane? He lives in Wavell Heights and works at the airport.
Thanks.

Attachments

Spooner

I have to say really ,
How stupid are people these days. ???
Have to put photos up on the internet asking for help in tightening a hose clamp or replacing a worn hose .

GPS Guru

I have to say really ,
Have to put photos up on the internet asking for help in tightening a hose clamp or replacing a worn hose .

Well apart from the fact that he is in Brisbane and I am in Melbourne and he has tried tightening it (which was the first thing that he did) and doesn’t have a great deal of mechanical knowledge at 18 years of age, I thought we might get a knowledgeable response on this forum.

dno67

Yes you could try tightening the hose clamp first if you haven't already. If that doesn't stop it from leaking, remove that end of the hose and inspect the aluminium housing the hose was attached too. You may find if corroded and needs replacing. Japs love mixing alloy and metal fitting in these housing and it can cause corrosion, especially if your coolant mix is in correctly mixed. If the housing is in good condition, no holes around the area the hose clamp seats. You may only needto replace the existing hose with a new one.

Last edited:

dno67

I have to say really ,
Sometimes it's easy to forget, not everyone is intrested in mechanical things. Iol Hard to believe when we used to go to the local tip as kids just to pull shit apart.

itlldoo

check the radiator cap it could be stuffed and not letting the coolant expand into the overflow bottle but forcing it out the weakest spot ie; the hose connection but replace both anyway ( hose and cap)

Triton14

I would at least remove the hose, clean the housing & hose then reinstall the hose tightly, t will help the hose seal & at lease that way if it leaks again through the same place then you'll know its something else.

Colly18

If the housing is only slightly corroded or pitted after a wire brush cleanup, over the years I've used a smear of silicon sealant on the housing-hose join to make sure it doesn't leak. (clamp the hose on and don't run the engine for several hours to give the silicon a chance to dry/cure) It's always worked for me with no negative affects, other than the hose is a bit more difficult to remove when it does come time to replace it.

typhoeus

Sometimes it's easy to forget, not everyone is intrested in mechanical things. Iol Hard to believe when we used to go to the local tip as kids just to pull shit apart.
Local tip was a treasure trove, first for building billycarts, bikes, then car parts. . 'cause the only cars I could afford back then could also be found in the tip. . . :D

dno67

Local tip was a treasure trove, first for building billycarts, bikes, then car parts. . 'cause the only cars I could afford back then could also be found in the tip. . . :D
Nothing wrong with that, christ only knows how many holden motors and panels we draged home. Every weekend before l got my license on dirtbikes or pushbikes.

GPS Guru

The upshot was that my son called the RACQ who inspected it and suggested there may be a leak along with internal corrosion. The mechanic advised not to drive it to work and even consider a tow to a repairer as it required an inspection. Well he ended up driving to a repairer and it turns out that the hose had a crack underneath it somewhere which wasn‘t visible. In fairness to the RACQ mechanic, it was dark when he had a look.