Water in the outback

Zamunda

Might be useful to newbies.

I did this video mainly for my friends in the US. They have not been to Aus so have a difficult time imagining just how vast and remote our outback is and why it is we have to carry just about everything. Especially how essential it is to keep hydrated in our hot climate.

During our trip on the Oodnadatta track, we came across two French couples. Driving from Maree to Oodnadatta. They had just 10l of water for drinking and washing.

sharkcaver

I'd go 10 days on 10L :eek:

Mind you, we passed 2 motortcyclists on the Simmo, 30K's in from Purni Bore on the French Line, Eastern side. They were on day 2. They had planned to cross in 2 days (guess they failed that). When we met them, they had no water and asked to buy some from us. All they took was a 1L camel back each. The 6P's come to mind.

muffin man

So for us as a family of four on a 4 day Simpson trip we would carry 70L and use about half. I suppose for a trip between Maree and Oodnadatta 10L would be sufficient....but yes more should be carried.

Zamunda

@sharkcaver @muffin man
I always tend to carry a lot more food and water than necessary. Guess I am planning for a worst-case scenario.

These two couples had 10l of water between the four of them for both drinking and washing. Thankfully water can be got along the way in places such as Coward Springs, William Creek and Oodnadatta. However, it becomes far more crucial if stranded along the way. Unfortunately, rental companies don't seem to give much advice either.

Jason Watt

I fixed my hydration issues.
40 litres full width down low on the rear floor 12V pumped at near mains pressure.
Not a lot of room in an FJ Cruiser so we make do and think outside of the box.
Passenger side pump.JPG

Petunia

Is this a prototype? or has it been tested? like on rough roads? under hard braking? with 'stuff' rubbing on it? what is the breaking strain of zipties?
have you tried a roadside rest-stop tank with an unthreaded tap 4inches off the ground? how many liters per hour flows through a syphon + filter? has this setup been in service long enough to need cleaning? if so how do you clean it?

now, a 80lt caravan tank i estimate at under 5kg? I can pick up a 60lt with 3 fingers by the fill noodle both cost around a dollar per liter.

Water weighs 1KG per 1L, full, that's 82kg[inc tare weight] you got there wanting to get out in a hurry?

My prototype is still under review, has been for 2 years, I will just end up with a wet diff.:cool:

1-P1060670.JPG
Version 1.2.0 of the plumbing has an inline filter. [before i get rained on] and re-routed.

1-P1060664.JPG

the prototype is to be replaced eventually with a 60/40 split tank? well that was the plan 2 years ago at least:rolleyes:

Folding Hose ....

1-P1070430.JPG

1-P1070431.JPG
and then there are every conceivable combination of hose connections from tap to no tap, complete with pressure pump, in an out up and down, pump in pump out, all in a neat luch box no bigger than 4 x 2 x 2 .. even pump to radiator if need be via the folding hose.

1-P1070433.JPG

There is another 20lt that is a dedicated absolutely only drinking water, and as if by magic it fits the jerry can holder? + yet another 20lt and 3 15lt drums that will only ever be used if i take out the 4 cartons of beer, because those drums were FREE, they go in the could come in handy one day pile . Nothing wrong with a good old bunnings plastic drum for 15$ ea or better FREE :D

Jason Watt

Is this a prototype? or has it been tested? like on rough roads? under hard braking? with 'stuff' rubbing on it? what is the breaking strain of zipties?
have you tried a roadside rest-stop tank with an unthreaded tap 4inches off the ground? how many liters per hour flows through a syphon + filter? has this setup been in service long enough to need cleaning? if so how do you clean it?

now, a 80lt caravan tank i estimate at under 5kg? I can pick up a 60lt with 3 fingers by the fill noodle both cost around a dollar per liter.

Water weighs 1KG per 1L, full, that's 82kg[inc tare weight] you got there wanting to get out in a hurry?

My prototype is still under review, has been for 2 years, I will just end up with a wet diff.:cool:

View attachment 58117
Version 1.2.0 of the plumbing has an inline filter. [before i get rained on] and re-routed.

View attachment 58118

the prototype is to be replaced eventually with a 60/40 split tank? well that was the plan 2 years ago at least:rolleyes:

Folding Hose ....

View attachment 58121

View attachment 58122
and then there are every conceivable combination of hose connections from tap to no tap, complete with pressure pump, in an out up and down, pump in pump out, all in a neat luch box no bigger than 4 x 2 x 2 .. even pump to radiator if need be via the folding hose.

View attachment 58123

There is another 20lt that is a dedicated absolutely only drinking water, and as if by magic it fits the jerry can holder? + yet another 20lt and 3 15lt drums that will only ever be used if i take out the 4 cartons of beer, because those drums were FREE, they go in the could come in handy one day pile . Nothing wrong with a good old bunnings plastic drum for 15$ ea or better FREE :D
Whoa thats a lot of questions mate.
I purchased the 40 Litre tank and pump from Uneek 4x4.
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/poly-footwell-tank-40lt/
http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/pump-12v-suit-boab-water-tanks/
With a few minor mods to the rear of my floor console it fitted perfectly.
It came with a crush proof length of 10mm ID hose and various other fittings.
I fabricated some L brackets out of 5mm aluminium angle and the whole lot is bolted through the floor using 316 8mm stainless hex bolts/nuts/washers etc. hardware and sealed with rubber washers.
The pump has a pressure sensor and shuts itself off at 35 PSI when taps are off and can do 80 PSI running.
I run it through an Air on Board OEM look-alike push on push off LED switch in the dash cluster.
I fitted a pull down tap on the rear deck and also teed off to a 2440mm length of 10mm flexible silicone hose which tucks away in the bottle jack compartment nicely out of the way.
Standard domestic brass snap-on tap fitting is at the end of this point.
Connects easily to my HWOD unit or standard domestic garden sprinkler/hose fittings.
This setup has passed all the serious VHC bump tests without any issues apart from "swish" noise as you would expect.
I'm sourcing suitable open cell plastic foam (similar to MX motorcycle fuel tank baffle material) to solve this issue.
I load my reco gear, camp stretcher and compressor on top of the tank when travelling.
Note: The tank will "collapse" partially if you don't release the cap when in use - as I learned.
I don't quite follow you re: "zip ties", All hose clamps are stainless steel worm drive.
I would be concerned about fitting a plastic tank underside/externally because sticks and stones will break your bones and leave you high and dry. Maybe consider some UVP for your tank?
Tap working.JPG

Last edited:

Petunia

Yeah, but can that black tank prototype be pressurised for beer? Those cartons will get shaken up in the back. Irresponsible.:cool:
Sadly, no, the idiot engineer who thought up the black tank idea put a breather hose in the top of the tank it has a threaded hole up there for just that purpose [ that was nice of them to do that for me ] then routed breather hose up into a cutout in the thingy wotsit up under there somewhere, but I think a mud wasp glued it up? The tap appeared a little slow? last time I washed my hands.... or there is no water in it, one or the other? AH but ... as a dual cab owner cartons of beer don't go in the back, they are mid mounted in plastic stacking boxes, [no back seat] too much weight behind the axle = an interesting wandering, they also partly counter balance the left side, all the lead is on the right, as well as the driver and the diesel, there is a reason to carry 52Kg of beer 9kg of baked beans a cast man hole cover for a jack plate etc.

Whoa thats a lot of questions mate.
I purchased the 40 Litre tank and pump from Uneek 4x4.
With a few minor mods to the rear of my floor console it fitted perfectly.
It came with a crush proof length of 10mm ID hose and various other fittings.
I fabricated some L brackets out of 5mm aluminium angle and the whole lot is bolted through the floor using 316 8mm stainless hex bolts/nuts/washers etc. hardware.
The pump has a pressure sensor and shuts itself off at 35 PSI when taps are off and can do 85 PSI running.
I run it through an Air on Board OEM look-alike push on push off LED switch in the dash cluster.
I fitted a pull down tap on the rear deck and also teed off to a 2440mm length of 10mm flexible silicone hose which tucks away in the bottle jack compartment nicely out of the way.
Standard domestic brass snap-on tap fitting is at the end of this point.
Connects easily to my HWOD unit or standard domestic garden sprinkler/hose fittings.
This setup has passed all the serious VHC bump tests without any issues apart from "swish" noise as you would expect.
I'm sourcing suitable open cell plastic foam (similar to MX motorcycle fuel tank baffle material) to solve this issue.
I load my reco gear, camp stretcher and compressor on top of the tank when travelling.
Note: The tank will "collapse" partially if you don't release the cap when in use - as I learned.
I don't quite follow you re: "zip ties", All hose clamps are stainless steel worm drive.
I would be concerned about fitting a plastic tank underside/externally because sticks and stones will break your bones and leave you high and dry. Maybe consider some UVP for your tank?
View attachment 58132
That is one sexy Tap, I have serious Tap Envy, now ..........
Zip Ties ... was about the OP video, hell most of the questions were. But I appreciate your effort, and I got to see the sexiest Tap EVER! ah, yes sticks and stones ... I am still waiting on a customised tank bash plate to come up for sale in a dumpster dive sale? It has a couple scrapes in it already from chasing cows up the paddock, but then there is a spare tank in the shed, originally some hair brain engineer thought 2 tanks would fit under there? But Murphy saw to that by laying down his law, but I told him, I'l turn them sideways, then he said I told you once!

Seriously, I put a pin hole in all my water drum lids, and fuel drum lids [2 x 4 liter for petrol chainsaw] I do literally use a pin or needle, you would be surprised how much air can be sucked in a hole that size. It also stops the fuel drums ballooning.

Goes and sits outside to contemplate serious Tap Envy, The Lord Not My God hath said unto his peoples, Thou Shalt Not Covet Another Mans Tap.:eek:

Jason Watt

Carac in Dandenong (Vic) sell those taps.
Not cheap and they have a built-in on/off switch if you need it.
One man's tap is another man's faucet.
Let's not turn this into a tap/pissing contest.:D

Last edited:

Zamunda

That looks awesome!
I've had the bladder for close to two years now. Been on a number of outback trips. Over corrugations. So far it has held up pretty good. From my research, the manufacturer has been selling these to the commercial market for quite a while now. In my case, an underbody tank was not going to work because I still use the factory spare wheel bay to carry my second spare. Did not go for a full rear bar with dual wheels due to budget and also felt it was dead weight during trips where I did not need two spares.

Jason Watt

That's neat! Where did you get it from? I have a friend who just bought a pre-owned FJ.
Uneek 4x4 in Carrum Vic sell the tanks, pumps etc.
The SurgeFlo pump is self-priming and has a built in cut-out once it reaches pressure.
You have to slightly mod the rear of the floor console in an FJ to get it to fit.
The water tank can be easily removed if needed (4 bolts and a hose clamp).
Floor console mod 3.JPG

I would recommend your mate with the FJ joins the F.J.C.C. forum.
Good people with all the answers.
https://www.fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php

Last edited:

Zamunda

Uneek 4x4 in Carrum Vic sell the tanks, pumps etc.
The SurgeFlo pump is self-priming and has a built in cut-out once it reaches pressure.
You have to slightly mod the rear of the floor console in an FJ to get it to fit.
The water tank can be easily removed if needed (4 bolts and a hose clamp).
View attachment 58253
I would recommend your mate with the FJ joins the F.J.C.C. forum.
Good people with all the answers.
https://www.fjcc.com.au/forum_fjcc/index.php
Thanks so much. Already emailed him the link.