Wandering about the Pilbara.

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers
This is just a quick 'snap shot' of my last tour ~ wandering about the Pilbara, with no real time frame for my international friends, the request was simple but understandable for me at least, so in their very best 'Swiss ~ French/Italian' to English, their express wish was to see what 'no someone in Switzerland' has seen soon !!

Well my Aussie translation was " We wish to see and experience the Pilbara ~ that no one they know of from Switzerland has experienced recently "

I have a fair idea there are no petroglyphs, meteorite craters, Kangaroo's and Wedge Tailed Eagles or anything remotely like what some in Australia seem to ignore or take for granted, wide open spaces, huge uninterrupted clear nights with tens of Billions of stars and the freedom to travel for several days and not see another human being outside of our little group of four.

It's quite sobering really, to have an intellectual person shed a few tears, then thank you most sincerely for showing them something they had never dreamed of seeing or experiencing in their lifetime.

Quite simply the untouched Pilbara can have that effect on a person.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

Kalgan Pool/Gorge
IMGP4557.JPG

Camping at Kalgan Pool/Gorge
IMGP4546.JPG

On tour
IMGP4497.JPG

South East Ophthalmia Range.
IMGP4498.JPG

No words needed.
IMGP4512.JPG

A cool lizard on a hot rock
IMGP4520.JPG

Who or what am I
IMGP4486.JPG

Wunna Munna Gorge
IMGP4487.JPG

Smoko ~ Eco billy
IMGP4412.JPG

Knob tailed Gecko
IMGP4569.JPG

Swaggie

Thought you may have shown your International Friends some Mines and Fracking sites mate lmao...

Nice report and pictures to boot..

Thanks Joe...

Joe Fury

Thought you may have shown your International Friends some Mines and Fracking sites mate lmao...

Thanks Joe...
G'day "Swaggie"
I don't need to deliberately point out the 'joys' of mining any longer, simply because it is 'omnipresent' now.
I met a bloke and his lady just today, at Weeli Wolli Springs, a home grown Western Australian who worked in this region some 40 years ago and he has only now shown his wife the region, shock, horror and a few expletives from the bloke but out of earshot of his lady and my friends.

But he did say to me as he pointed his gnarly index finger towards the mine waste dump just visible over the tree tops ~ " How the $$&# can these bastards get away with this rape and plunder ~ tell me how, he pleaded!!
IMGP4302.JPG

Hope Downs 4 ~ Rio Tinto ~ Pilbara.
Otto's Gorge ~ neighbouring Rio's mine.
IMGP4283.JPG

All I could say was ~ Those who know don't care and not enough people know about the rape plunder and pillage going on in the Pilbara, even Google Earth doesn't show much in the imagery on their earth search site.

The internationals are quite sad about the environmental damage but they also say it's the way of 'big business and a soft government'

Joe Fury

Thanks Joe...
G'day Swaggie
I had a bit of a think about this before I committed to posting the reply.

One of the larger Energy 'fracking' turnouts here in the west is a mob called BURU energy, there's a "has been politician" tied up in the 'shiny bum' end of this crowd so there is already a stink of wrong in there ~ but this is purely my opinion.

Like all resource industries they glad hand anyone who is willing to believe in their money making scheme, they present research data they say was gathered in the field by 'them' ~ when most of this data on environment, ecology, etc etc is gathered by a firm of consultants who knock themselves out doing 'desk top studies' and predictive modelling.

The real horror comes after the rubber stamping has been done and anyone that does not think it happens even today, only needs to see what is happening on Roy Hill Station and in the Ophthalmia Range here in the inland Pilbara.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
All in the name of progress and development so we can all prosper and survive?:eek:.
I have a four letter word for them, however I will just use a five letter word which describes them better.
GREED.

Joe Fury

All in the name of progress and development so we can all prosper and survive?:eek:.
I have a four letter word for them, however I will just use a five letter word which describes them better.
GREED.

G'day Azza
Yes, the fact that it's Greed driven makes it even more unpalatable, I do understand the need for ordinary Minions to wan't to prosper, no one want's or needs to live a shitty existence, but for the life of me I don't accept how anyone can feel good about enriching their existence ~ working in a insidious industry.

But it's government sanctioned and generally backed by the broader community 'so it's deemed to be okay' ~ shame it's too bloody late ~ when it's gone.

I'll be heading out to Roy Hill Station tomorrow, not to the shitty mine, but the Cattle Station the shitty mine is now devouring ~ if I feel the urge and have the time I'll up-load some images of what's taking place in the Rinehart Empire.

Swaggie

There was a story recently that in an American town, since fracking started they've had an unbelievable rise in Earth tremours... As well as wrecking underground water sources etc...

There just Legalized Eviromental Vandals..

oetkb

You're not helping me one bit Joe!!!
My feet are getting ridiculously itchy to get up there and I have to wait another 8 months FFS!!
Looking at those Gorges, escarpments, creeks and pools are just tormenting me.
Seriously though Joe Thanks for these trips reports, keep em coming and feel free to message a must see list of the Pilbarra.
Cheers .

Joe Fury

You're not helping me one bit Joe!!!
My feet are getting ridiculously itchy to get up there and I have to wait another 8 months FFS!!
Looking at those Gorges, escarpments, creeks and pools are just tormenting me.
Seriously though Joe Thanks for these trips reports, keep em coming and feel free to message a must see list of the Pilbarra.
Cheers .

G'day "oetkb"
I don't know if this will help you, or hurt you but here goes.
IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

PB031040.JPG

IMGP1014.JPG

IMGP0957.JPG

Joe Fury

Thanks my friend ~ I will take that as a complement, never forget that it's yours too!!
IMG_2721.JPG

Marble Bar road ~ East Pilbara

oetkb

Keep em coming Joe!
I think one of the best things about you're photos is that no one is in them, its just miles and miles of empty space.
It's not that I don't like people, I just like being where people aren't.
Cheers

greysrigging

Love the Pilbara....its so different to my home region in the Top End of the NT. I respect Joe's views on the mining developments in the north west of WA.....i have a bit of a more relaxed view of the Iron Ore industry out here.....I have made a good livelyhood from the 'mining boom' and the downstream construction boom associated with the extraction on of minerals and oil and gas up in the North West. Personally I dont get too fazed when I see a 2klm ore train crossing the Great Northern Road or a big kick arse stacker/reclaimer doing its thing on Hope Downs or Yandicoogina. Provides employment opportunities for tens of thousands of Australians and contributes to the Australian economy and lets us have a standard of living whereby we can afford our expensive Japanese 4wdrives.....and then we purchase camping gear and fuel and spend our hard earned in all those back country outback towns in woop woop WA NT and QLD.....its called 'the economy' and for better or worse it is what it is.....
Cape Lambert, WA
20140123_135812.jpg
Chichester Ranges
20131201_132241.jpg

Cape Lambert, WA
20130401_061401_1.jpeg

20130418_062709.jpg

Joe Fury

Love the Pilbara....its so different to my home region in the Top End of the NT. I respect Joe's views on the mining developments in the north west of WA.....i have a bit of a more relaxed view of the Iron Ore industry out here.....I have made a good livelyhood from the 'mining boom' and the downstream construction boom associated with the extraction on of minerals and oil and gas up in the North West. Personally I dont get too fazed when I see a 2klm ore train crossing the Great Northern Road or a big kick arse stacker/reclaimer doing its thing on Hope Downs or Yandicoogina. Provides employment opportunities for tens of thousands of Australians and contributes to the Australian economy and lets us have a standard of living whereby we can afford our expensive Japanese 4wdrives.....and then we purchase camping gear and fuel and spend our hard earned in all those back country outback towns in woop woop WA NT and QLD.....its called 'the economy' and for better or worse it is what it is.....
Cape Lambert, WA
View attachment 41386 Chichester Ranges
View attachment 41387
Cape Lambert, WA
View attachment 41388

View attachment 41389

G'day Greysrigging.

I am not against mining or industry or people who come to earn a living in the Pilbara at all, what I find hard to accept is the stupidity of all levels of government allowing and fostering such a rip tear bust~wholesale mining attitude across the resource industries, be that Iron Ore, Gas, Uranium, Gold ~ you name it and there is always a deal done to facilitate a boardroom full of shiny bums in a time where iron ore sales are in a downturn ~ no down turn in ore production at all, just the sale of the product, I could mention the general 'apathy' about the real Pilbara.

Yes the resource industry does employ a whole bunch of people there's no doubting that fact either, who mainly come from anywhere but here, Fly in Fly out workers who are at most "disconnected" from anything ~ place or person outside of their employee/employer work group, a captive audience if you like, fed clothed accommodated and trained, they are at best trapped in their employers mine camp/village with no real chance of seeing what is just beyond the boundary of their work site ~ so what they don't know of, doesn't matter and some are totally disconnected, they just don't care because it's not their backyard.

Media reports say many of these people feel like 'prisoners' and are unwilling to openly express a negative opinion as that might just cost them their highly payed job, but all the while their employer is advancing technology in driverless production equipment, so at some time in the very near future their mining operation will be wholly run from a nondescript building in Perth or maybe London, by a bunch of techno whizzes who are real sharp with computer technology and possibly don't know the difference between a stick and a stone.

If anyone is interested enough in what's being done in the Pilbara, just do a Google Earth search and take a joy flight over the region, the towns of Tom Price or Newman are a good starting point, or watch the You Tube clip on 'Weeli Wolli Springs' or any other You Tube/Google thing on the Pilbara.

I write and post this with no malice to You the reader.

greysrigging

Speaking of Weeli Wolli....
20150118_105159.jpg

20150118_105210.jpg

20150118_105221.jpg

Weeli Wolli is only 20 mins from the camp at Yandicoogina and is a fabulous swimming spot......permanent crystal clear water ( artificial though it is due to the dewatering at Hope Downs ) I took these photos on a blisteringly hot 45c RDO Sunday Jan 2015
20150118_105625.jpg