Waeco CF-50 and RAPS 36

DavidJ

I had a Piranha dual battery system in my last 4WD and I could charge the battery with a solar panel. Not enough charge to stop the aux battery going flat after a day with no driving but it helped (I imaginethat new solar panels are more efficient than the one I bought 20 years ago).

My new 4WD is a Jeep Wrangler with no room under the bonnet for a second battery and I was thinking of going for a portable battery pack like the WAECO but can it be charged with a solar panel?

The Eco-Camper battery pack may be a better option.

Last edited:

yoot

Waeco battery can be charged by the binding posts just like any normal battery. That means 240v charger, solar, car, whatever.

darb

Ok I've done some intentional stress testing with my RAPS and CF-50 .. and have a bit of a question mark regarding my 6amp charger.

I ran the battery intentonally down to 11.4v where the CF-50 will cut out (medium setting) ... allowed the fridge and its contents to return to room temp ... threw in a few botles of hot water .. then plugged my 6amp pulse charger into the RAPS-36.

The 6amp charger gets the battery up to 12.2volt before the CF-50 kicks back in and starts drawing.

my thought was that the fridge can only draw, what, 5amp? ... so the 6amp charging should always win and be able to gain charge despite fridge being on constantly.

However what occurs is the voltage decreases, battery drops back down to 11.4v before the CF-50 again cuts out (medium setting).

The cycle continues on and off as it wins then loses .. fridge on, fridge off.

I find it odd that with a 6amp charger, the Waeco is still able to draw faster than I can charge?

In the real world it's not so bad of course because fridge contents are already down to temp, and the compressor wouldnt be on all day ... but if trying to "startup" from a hot & flat environment it woiuld appear using the 6amp charger won't get "ahead" for quite a long time! Additionally in the real world I would probably plug the CF-50 direct off generator while the RAPS is charging (allowing the 6amp charger and RAPS36 to get ahead) ... but all the same I'm wanting to minimise management.

My setup rarely includes a vehicle ... setup at campside instead.

Thoughts?

edit : ok so the CF-50 will pull 7amps I think. There in lines my problem! Need a 10amp charger!

Last edited:

tonydav

Hmm, back to this thread...

I thought the Waeco only pulled 7A on turbo mode? I've been told it was 5A in normal mode. Plus also, Waeco say you should only charge the RAPS36 at a maximum of 8A to avoid damage (why??)

Also think that some of my problems relate to the Waeco thermostat being on its way out. The compressor now stays on 100% no matter what setting (and yes, will freeze my beer so the Waeco is actually running properly).

And turns out the RAPS12 wasn't faulty. Got a replacement and it did the same clicking. Tested by wiring it to my output battery charger in continuous output mode and worked perfectly. When we looked to check the wiring on the battery - couldn't find any, so I think my auto-elec has dodgied it up and patched it in somewhere else.

Still haven't done anything re the 12V-12V charger. It worries my that the RAPS36 can only accept charge at a maximum of 8A meaning it will take forever to recharge. I'm seriously looking at a 75A Thumper as it will charge at 50A and has everything included. They were good to talk to as well and the product looks very good. Had also been looking at the Flyer + battery but found their customer service shall we say less than special...

In hindsite I really wish I'd bought the Thumper in the first place. I didn't because it was about $400 more (roughly $330 vs $730) but when you factor in a RAPS12 ($100 or so) it's only $300 and then the Thumper will charge properly, has twice the capacity and will jump start (or $100 less without jump starting). I only went with the RAPS36 because of the weight and my low requirements.

If only this thread had been around before I bought.....

yoot

Hmm, back to this thread...

I thought the Waeco only pulled 7A on turbo mode? I've been told it was 5A in normal mode. Plus also, Waeco say you should only charge the RAPS36 at a maximum of 8A to avoid damage (why??)

Also think that some of my problems relate to the Waeco thermostat being on its way out. The compressor now stays on 100% no matter what setting (and yes, will freeze my beer so the Waeco is actually running properly).

And turns out the RAPS12 wasn't faulty. Got a replacement and it did the same clicking. Tested by wiring it to my output battery charger in continuous output mode and worked perfectly. When we looked to check the wiring on the battery - couldn't find any, so I think my auto-elec has dodgied it up and patched it in somewhere else.

Still haven't done anything re the 12V-12V charger. It worries my that the RAPS36 can only accept charge at a maximum of 8A meaning it will take forever to recharge. I'm seriously looking at a 75A Thumper as it will charge at 50A and has everything included. They were good to talk to as well and the product looks very good. Had also been looking at the Flyer + battery but found their customer service shall we say less than special...

In hindsite I really wish I'd bought the Thumper in the first place. I didn't because it was about $400 more (roughly $330 vs $730) but when you factor in a RAPS12 ($100 or so) it's only $300 and then the Thumper will charge properly, has twice the capacity and will jump start (or $100 less without jump starting). I only went with the RAPS36 because of the weight and my low requirements.

If only this thread had been around before I bought.....

RAPS36 accepts 14.4Amp charge, read the manual. Any higher and it could overheat.

tonydav

RAPS36 accepts 14.4Amp charge, read the manual. Any higher and it could overheat.

Having trouble locating the manual, but are you sure you don't mean 14.4V charge?

My memory said max charge was 14.4V/8A. However, if you have the manual there and it says 14.4A then that would be great as I could then use my 15A battery charger.