VW BAJA Beetle 1973

Midlifecrisis

VW BAJA Beetle 1973 Videos added Update 14.08.09

VW BAJA Beetle, 1973 Videos added

Good Points
I would have to say the best part about a VW is they are very basic, NO computer or injection to stuff up and I can do all the repairs and maintence.

Bad Points
No heater at the moment

What mods have you done?
started will standard Beetle stripped all the mud guards off and the engine lid and front boot lid, removed about 18in of panels from the front and rear fitted front fibre nose cone ,bonnet and guards and engine lid , new front bar and engine cage. Fitted 1800 Subaru engine will a hi torque cam and progressive webber. 1600 Kombi gearbox with LOC RITE diff locker, long travel balljoints, 2in body lift, strengthened the front beam,Subaru seats , the rear struts from a 86 subaru leone on the front , after market coil overs on the rear and a full inside and out paint job.

What mods are on the list to do?
rear disc brakes, and heater

Why did you buy this vehicle?
I'm a crazy VW nut

How often do you go offroad?
as often as possible

What will your next vehicle be?
VW of course

Attachments

• PIC00049.JPG
    PIC00049.JPG
    858.2 KB · Views: 173
  • PIC00087 (Medium).JPG
    PIC00087 (Medium).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 151
  • PIC00090 (Medium).JPG
    PIC00090 (Medium).JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Iggy getting out of the playground (Medium).jpg
    Iggy getting out of the playground (Medium).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

Next

late last year a Mate a I started a full body of resto, which included every nut ,bolt wire and every bit of steel back to bare metal. Here are a few photo during the process.

Hopefully we are only a few weeks from hitting the road.

Marc

Attachments

• Igor rear (Medium).jpg
    Igor rear (Medium).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 129
  • Iggy in 2. (Medium).jpg
    Iggy in 2. (Medium).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 122
  • PIC02880 (Medium).JPG
    PIC02880 (Medium).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 153

Midlifecrisis

Photo

More Photo's off what stage we are up to

Attachments

• Front coil over 5 (Medium).JPG
    Front coil over 5 (Medium).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 130
  • PIC03222 (Medium).JPG
    PIC03222 (Medium).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 176
  • PIC03228 (Medium).JPG
    PIC03228 (Medium).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 168

Midlifecrisis

Thanks, Hoping to hit the road in the next few weeks.

We have been using it of road for three years with all standard VW running gear and the Subie engine,

So really looking forward driving it with all the up grades we are doing now.

Marc

Midlifecrisis

Howdy

Its been a while since I posted an up date so here goes.

We put the gearbox in went for a test drive it sounded like the was a guy inside with a grinder working away at the gears, so out that one came and in went the other box i had both were bought cheap and unknown to how good or bad, this was better I could hear the stereo on full noise just, so the 3rd box I have has go off for a rebuild, so while that gets done we are doing the fiddly bits of the inside trim fitting the heater and finishing of the rear panels around the radiator and spraying rust proofing , as soon as the gearbox gets back in it will and off we will go.:D

Marc

Joe

good to hear that it's starting to come together. sounds like it'll be a beast when it's up and running.

Midlifecrisis

Thanks for your kind works.

It has been 12 months since we started this rebuild and I have the shakes real bad from not going offroad.

Marc

Joe

you'llbe right mate. imagine all the fun you can have when its finished and on the road.

Midlifecrisis

Thanks Guys

Once we have completed the shake down when he is done we will be joining in on some of the runs on here.

heres a video or 2 from Luveka

Marc

Midlifecrisis

We thought the sand would polish the gears while I was driving :D

Had to wash the rocks out they keeped jamming in the teeth.:)

Marc

VWNuts

Looking good Marc...... do you have the Lockrite to go into the gearbox you gave me? Might be better to put it in before you get the box back :D

Midlifecrisis

Hi Graham
Yeah that would be great,the new springs and pins should be here in the next few days.
I will run them up to you when they get here.

thanks Mate

Marc

Midlifecrisis

Hi Guys

Well the BAJA hit the road this week, I was able to find a gearbox to use while the other one is get rebuilt and the locker fitted..

We went for a drive to the spit on theGold coast and played in the soft sand next to the road.

So far all has gone well with nothing falling off .

So this Sunday a few of us are going to MT Mee to have a play, if anyone wants to come and play.so far 1 patrol ,1 subaru, 1 Sharpbuilt buggy, I VW BAJA Bug

We are meeting at the shell Nudge to leave at 7.30 to head to Mt Mee and have a picnic lunch.

Here are a couple photo's from last weekend.

IMGP0598Medium.jpg

IMGP0597Medium.jpg

Marc

VWNuts

Looks good Marc, shame I'll be in Sydney on Sunday, otherwise I would have come out with you guys. Make sure you try "A Break". If you find the Rusty Truck up the top then that is one end of the A Break track. Have fun, and take lots of pics :D