Change background image

volvo xc90 and sand

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Superdad, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Superdad

Superdad Well-Known Member

Hi all

We are heading away with a group, one of whom has a Volvo XC90. The trip will involve a bit of beach driving....

Anyone know if this vehicle has any sand capability?

2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Most sand work will be high range so an awd should be fine if you drop the pressures...i would be checking for recovery points as it is likely to be missing them (maybe a tow hitch point could be used...NOT THE TOWBALL)

Take a set of recovery boards too (maxtrax / treds) and a shovel

Superdad likes this.
  3. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

The 4wd system is in vw's, audi's and land rovers without low range. It's a front transfer case with a haldex at the rear. Each brand is tuned to respond to slip differently so I'm not sure how well the Volvo goes. The Land Rovers are full 4wd at start and gradually relax to front wheel drive only as the speed increases unless you lock in one of the traction programs. The Volvo doesn't have those programs. The biggest problem will probably be low profile tyres that you can't let down enough.

abw and Superdad like this.
  4. Superdad

thanks guys

clearance, tyres and lack of recovery points are the issue as far as i can see - i'll make sure old mate has a shovel....

5. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

We saw one at Robe once, it left a nice breadcrumb trail of under body plates and bumpers along the beaches/dunes :p

6. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

I towed one once on mt Hotham as he could not get it to drive on ice it kept sliding backwards into a bank
    Only his front wheels would spin
    He said it was all wheel drive
    It towed him up to a flat spot and told him to call a tow truck lol

He couldn’t fit chains because his struts were to close to the tyres
    Idn how he was allowed to take it up there in a blizzard lol if you ask me I wouldn’t trust there “all wheel drive” system lol

Superdad likes this.
  7. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

The biggest problem you have is you have a friend with a Volvo............you need to have a long hard look at yourself :p

Superdad, Spooner, Tink and 2 others like this.
  8. mikehzz

A bit harsh, Volvo's and their drivers have changed since the 70's Alby. I think you can option them up for rough riding with "off road cup holders" now. :)

Superdad, Albynsw and 80lover96gxl like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Just try it anyway and post up the photos :D

Superdad likes this.
  10. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

Now that sounds like a good idea, heard there good in big holes to

Superdad likes this.
  11. hungry6

hungry6 Member

The volvo system is very different to the system in vw-audi and porsche.
    These are permanent full time 4wd with full even split torque distribution.
    Where the Volvo is a predominant a front wheeler with little power going to the rear to correct front slippage.
    So to answer your question, expect alot of recoveries and towing..

12. Superdad

So no centre diff lock?

13. mikehzz

I've got a pretty new Q3 Quattro and it has a Haldex awd system similar to the Volvos. All Haldex systems have a front wheel bias. Other Audis still have a Torsen system. The Haldex type can be pre charged up to give full all wheel drive from start up if they program it to. It does on my Land Rover as well but they mustn't have the Volvo do it going on the ice experience a few posts up.

14. hungry6

hungry6 Member

My only experience with Haldex system is when I get a loaner from Audi when mine is in for service.
    It only comes online when certain preset parametres are reach, unlike the Q7, drives is always going through all for wheels. Similarly for the Amarok autos