Change background image

Volkswagon amorak 4x4 beach driving

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Timbo797979, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

I have just purchased a new 2017 Amarok auto and will be taking it on the beach this week to Frazer island I see it doesn’t have a high and low 4x4 I am confused weather to use the trip sonic or just leave it in auto 4x4 any help would be great cheers

2. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

Air down to around 18-20psi (use a gague, don't just guess it), turn off the traction control, stick it Drive and see how it goes.
    The transmission will know whats working and will be able to change and match rpm better than you will most of the time. For a climb over some of the headlands you might try doing it manually to keep the rpm and torque up, but you should have a good idea how its working for you by the time you get that far.

The traction control can get you unstuck on sand as it brakes a wheel if any wheel spin is detected and on sand they lose traction a lot. Some setups also cut engine power to reduce wheel spin as well, so you are trying to climb out of the sand and the ABS module is working hard as the engine is losing power while the computer fights you:mad:.

... also read and understand the handbook so you have a good idea how the systems and settings work. Salesmen will give you a bit of a familiarisation tour of the vehicle at delivery, but from my experience few have any idea how they product actually works.:rolleyes:

3. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

I think the Amarok with its 1 million speed gear box uses its first couple gears as a low range

dabbler likes this.
  4. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

Cheers guys

5. Synchro

Synchro Well-Known Member

You might want to do that in crappy Jap utes but not in vehicles that have a proper setup for traction control like the Amorak and Landrovers.

Proper traction control works fine in sand though you may want switch off stability control which is what cuts power and applies brakes to wheels even those with traction when it detects sideways movement of vehicles.

discomatt likes this.
  6. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

You can't turn. off traction control in vw's or Land Rovers, you turn off stability control, (dsc). When you do lose traction the sensors try and straighten the car by braking and cutting engine power and you don't want that. I've found in cars without low range that it's better to use manual mode on sand when you are just cruising because sometimes the car stays in too low a gear for too long and you are constantly revving too high. In a quick changing auto with no low range, it's often better to use auto mode up a hard climb.

discomatt likes this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Make sure you take a shovel & some Maxx Traxs ;)
    IMGP8911.jpg

red hilux, billolga, dno67 and 2 others like this.
  8. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

and a passenger seat official, just to let you know where you went wrong.....lol :)

Julian likes this.
  9. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

From my experience going from an old style 4x4 into a new one the biggest issues were, not lowering tire pressure enough, I went from a car with 85 to 65 profile tires so thought I couldn't lower tires as much, thats just plain wrong and once I was down to 15-18 the 3 ton Disco 4 was heaps better. The other major issue was forgetting to press the right buttons, as a safety feature the DSC turns back on every time you turn off the car and the terrain response would sometimes go back into normal mode. I found when the tires were low enough, I remembered to select the right modes and drove it well the car was unstoppable, the only times it had issue was my mistakes.
    So in answer to your question, and I will go out on a limb and assume a Amarok has basically the same features as a LR , learn how to drive it because these days all modern cars are different and turning off TC is the last option if it even has that option, LR doesn't
    Don't worry to much Fraser has a million people visit every year so someone will be there to help if you get stuck

dno67 and Spooner like this.
  10. MAAROOM_SEAVIEW

MAAROOM_SEAVIEW New Member

Be careful in reverse as the transmission heats up quickly and warning light comes on know from experence, happened when trying to back caravan at Inskip, also use dif lock and turn off traction control, use manual mode. I have the V6.

Rhett HS likes this.
  11. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

I have the v6 also, u am going to use auto and see how things go but if I feel it is getting hard to get through the soft sand I will flick it in to trip sonic and go from there

12. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Tiptronic ?

13. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

Do u just recommend tiptronic all the time

14. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

No I was wonder if your wasarock, had a new type of fancy thing called a
    "trip sonic" was going ask if it was custom ordered and the details.:)

WildtrakRudy likes this.
  15. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

Na just typo era, no I have the v6 Amarok auto 2017 and just getting advise on how the go up the beach since they don’t have a high and low 4x4 button

dno67 likes this.
  16. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

As responsible intelligent 4wders who really know their stuff, we should really know the difference between traction control and stability control. In a nutshell, traction control brakes a wheel that is spinning but not going anywhere. It's job is to help you not get stuck by giving drive to wheels that need it. Stability control can do the same plus a whole lot more, it can even cut engine power. It's job is not to help you when you are stuck, it's job is to stop you skidding, rolling over or anything else that might cause you grief. All modern cars have a stability control button that can be turned off. Most modern cars don't have a button that will turn the traction control off. Turning off stability control doesn't turn off traction control, nor does it turn off abs. Traction control doesn't cause you to lose momentum because wheels free spinning in the air aren't contributing to any forward movement. Anyone who drives a Land Rover knows this, they have the best traction control in the world, they are good in sand, and you can't turn the traction control off. If you don't turn the stability control off then they sink like a rock, sometimes going into full limp mode on sand.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...action-control-autos-1112-20151110-story.html

17. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

You can turn off TC in a lot of Jap 4wds, just put it in low range and it turns it off:confused:o_O
    And people hang it on LR:rolleyes:

18. hungry6

hungry6 Member

I tow my boat to Waddy point 5-6 time a year for fishing. One of the best and comfortable dualcab to tow with.
    The safest option if you are inexperience with the VW. Dependant on your load.
    Air down appropiately, you can safely go to 12psi if you keep the speed down. If you really get stuck for some reason drop it to 6-8psi and drive out. Don't just get on the gas and make it worst.
    Turn ON "Offroad" mode. If you have a trailer connected, this will not turn of due to trailer stability programming.
    Turn OFF your " Traction Control"
    Don't carry too much speed like alot of the nut job up there, Your ute will in most case walk over most soft sand.
    If you haven't got a trailer in tow, remove the 13 pins plug underneath the tow bar, as it has a habit of getting crushed coming of some of the big sleeper drop of. While you are at it spray wd40 into the plug joints.
    And most important thing. You have to turn eveverything on and of after every shutdown. Bring a compressor and make sure it's in working condition.

cam04 likes this.
  19. Timbo797979

Timbo797979 New Member

Thanks mate, I won’t be towing anything do you recommend leaving it in auto mode instead of using the tripsonic mode, I was think just leave it in auto mode and only use the trip sonic mode if I’m going through the real soft sand and shit tracks

20. hungry6

hungry6 Member

Leave it in auto sport mode, put ur shifter in drive drive and pull back on it again, that should engage sport mode.
    The only place I have ever use gear lock out is going ngkala rock in really soft condition. Lock it into first and keep the rev up. Dont rev it pass 4500 as it will kick it into the next gear.
    But you should be right and probably drive around a few thing that u didnt think you would.

Rhett HS and cam04 like this.