VMS Touring 700HD

Silvereagle

Hi guys I purchased a 700HD a while a go and I'm having trouble inputting waypoints because i can't seem to find the minus sign on the keyboard EG -31.39928 115.54364 . Can any one help please do I have the wrong format settings or what not to clued up
on this stuff LOL

Regards Silvio

Gary_s

Mate I've had mine since Christmas 2011 and I still don't know exactly how to use it! I haven't had a problem with coordinates yet but I think the minus comes up automatically.

Jackolux

I have had a VMS 700HD for abou 4 months , my advice to anyone thinking of buying one is don't

Im in a dispute with both VMS and the retailer I purchased it from , its has several problems , the touch screen taking several touches and even needs to be restarted
( freezes )
the screen is impossible to see when mounted to the windscreen in daylight the supplied 4x4 maps are years out of date ,

the street mapping now will not work at all .

It is definitely not user friendly
its not possible to talk to anyone at VMS their Web Site has no phone number , everything has to be done by email

I have spoken to the shop I purchased if from several times by phone
I will be returning it to them this Friday

However they will not refund , they want to send it to VMS for repair until Im happy with the unit , I will never be happy , it is not fit for purpose

Gary_s

My VMS 700HD works well, never had a problem with it yet, I've had mine mounted to my windscreen for about 7 months and it's copped almost everything from dust to water (rain drops) and still works well. It does help to read the manual and play around with it. When I first bought it I played with it for a good few hours every night for the first few weeks, I'm not saying I'm a pro at it but I've worked out how to sort of use it. At times I still get confused but I guess that's just my problem of being impatient.
Would I buy one again? Probably not
Do I regret buying it? Not at all
Each to there own on VMS units, until it shits itself I have no intention on replacing it.

Cheers,
Gary

Jackolux

I do know how to put in waypoints by co- ordinantes ,
what " co- ordinantes " are you using lon/lat ?

hmm how to explain
,l will get back to you later , if I can get the bloody thing to work

Wayno , best GPS , is a simple handheld with UTM and a paper map with UTM

I still say they are Junk , dont buy one

Jackolux

Silvio , you might have the wrong Setting for Lon/Lat
The way I set a ' Way point " using Degrees , Minutes , Seconds

1-Tap Waypoint in the Main Menu

2-Tap Add Waypoint

3-Tap By Co ordinates

4-Then input the Co ordinates but you must set the correct Position Format in the settings ,

Degrees , Minutes , Seconds

Degrees , Decimal Minutes

Decimal Degrees

If you havent set the correct one the VMS will not let you enter it .

Jackolux

I have had my VMS about 4 Months , in that time I have been to the Vic High-country several times , its at my back door ,
The High-country maps are 30 years out of date , it show tracks that I know have been closed for at least 30 years and are not even visible anymore , there are bugger all tracks even named on the unit

We have just returned from a 14000+ K trip to the Kimberley , I had both my cheap as chips Nuvi 50 and the VMS on the windscreen , most of the time the VMS was impossible to see , the screen is crap

If you move from one map zone into the next , it will not automatically change to the next zone , well my unit wont anyway

Halfway along the Gibb I packed it away , bloody useless

I may not of had it very long but I have given it a real good go in that time

Last edited:

Jackolux

Well its been a week now and I have heard nothing from the shop or VMS about my 700HD

I should of been a easy fix , bin , supply a new one , then I can argue some more because even if it works perfectly as it should , its still crap ,

Its got me stuffed how anyone could recommend these things

LowLux

I have one and it does what I want it to but still learning. Have you had a look at youtube to check out the demo video they have? Would I buy it again...no, why? because you can get the same thing on Ebay for $180 which does everything the 700HD does but the screen doesn't quite have the same clarity. I also have to admit, the 700HD does have some pretty specky features, just wish it was a little more user friendly.

Jackolux

I have looked at a few video's on Youtube , I think I had worked out how to use it ok .
What are the " pretty specky features " I think it has bugger all

Jackolux

I have just had a call from the shop I purchased my 700HD from
VMS have agreed a refund , Im happy to be rid of the thing .

Jackolux

Checked out the Hema GPS at the Show in Melbourne yesterday , don't think I will bother with one ,
The good old Laminated Paper Map and basic Handheld GPS is good enough for me

Cuzzo

Checked out the Hema GPS at the Show in Melbourne yesterday , don't think I will bother with one ,
The good old Laminated Paper Map and basic Handheld GPS is good enough for me
Compared to the VMS what did you think of the Hema. I looked at the Hemas & I think I'm going to purchase one, but I'll upload the more detailed maps for the High Country from Melbourne Map Centre.

Jackolux

In the very short time I had to play with the Hema , Im confident it is a better unit than the VMS ,

I just don't think its as good as a paper map with UTM and a Handheld GPS , with a paper map you can look as many K's ahead as you want , the screen on the Hema is small and seemed very touchy , making it difficult to scan ahead ,

The most up to date Highcountry maps are Rooftop and as far as I know you cant get em on CD anymore

I don't think the Hema is worth the price and it still need more maps

John Paj

Hi guys just come across this thread I looked at the hema and the vms.Bought the VMS
Yes I have had some issues,takes a while to get the hang of the unit.my biggest concern is the screen glare at some angles makes it impossible to read the screen. I over came this buy cutting a piece of coreflute plastic and painting to make a shield to shade the screen.
Also had some software issues screen wolud freeze,not load up just constantly look to load up but not get there. Went back to the shop where I bought it from worked itermitantley while in the shop so they sent it back to manufacturer.The unit returned is so for trouble free. As far as mapping goes It has a few hicups but after nearly 11 months I am Quite happy with the unit But have not tried any of the others Hema etc. hope this helps

Cuzzo

In the very short time I had to play with the Hema , Im confident it is a better unit than the VMS ,

I just don't think its as good as a paper map with UTM and a Handheld GPS , with a paper map you can look as many K's ahead as you want , the screen on the Hema is small and seemed very touchy , making it difficult to scan ahead ,

The most up to date Highcountry maps are Rooftop and as far as I know you cant get em on CD anymore

I don't think the Hema is worth the price and it still need more maps
I agree there is nothing better than a paper map and that's what I use ATM. But I'm sick of having to pull up and open up the map continuously, I want a gps unit to refer to while on the move and occasionally pull up to check the rooftops.

boobook

Cuzzo, You have hit the nail on the head.

Paper maps are the go for planning and the big picture, and GPS are great for making sure you are on track.

I use Memory Map on the PC and on my android. I have the Hema Maps and Rooftop amongst others. And while I have most of the paper maps, I generally now do a rough plan on the PC. Print out the maps which are mini versions of the paper maps, and then use those same paps on the android Memory map GPS in the vehicle. With them all being the same map it makes life very easy. Then I go to 25K maps or Google sat photos on my gps for greater detail.