VIC - Save our State Forests Rally Tuesday 27th of August

Patriot

Administrator
Hey team,

There is a rally being held on the 27th of August 2019 with a March on Parliament house.
It starts at 12 PM and our friend Roothy will be there to tell everyone about what the changes from a State Forest to a Natioanl Park.
Effectively it means banning or severe restrictions on :-
Horse Riding
Bike Riding
Prospecting
Dogs
Camping
Fishing
Firewood Collection
4 Wheel Driving

The Rally is being organised by BUGU the Bush Users Group United.

1566378971711.jpeg

Patriot

Administrator
From the BUGU Page

The VEAC have recommended the lock up of 70,000Ha with 1 Million Ha under consideration. Bush activities like free camping, dogs (as companions, dog sleds etc), horse and motorbike riding,4wd, hunting, fishing, prospecting, firewood collection, legal logging, small scale mining etc State Forest will be locked into National Parks with little to no management. Join the fight. Contact your local politician and join our rally on 27th August 2019.

While I have a lot of sympathy for the cause, There was a lot of hype and exaggeration by the anti lock up brigade a few years ago. Its hard.to sort fact from fiction. They lost me.
if you read the VEAC report and their recommendations you would be concerned.
access to most of the Pyrenees for example would be heavily curtailed and you would not be able to camp where ever you feel like.
I guess it depends how much you value your freedom to access public land in Victoria.
I remember when the Yarra Valley up near Reefton became National Park. gates around "the Peninsula" area were left open for the first couple of years, now they are permanently closed. access now is only allowed on foot

if you read the VEAC report and their recommendations you would be concerned.
access to most of the Pyrenees for example would be heavily curtailed and you would not be able to camp where ever you feel like.
I guess it depends how much you value your freedom to access public land in Victoria.
I remember when the Yarra Valley up near Reefton became National Park. gates around "the Peninsula" area were left open for the first couple of years, now they are permanently closed. access now is only allowed on foot
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of keeping tracks open. The reality around Reefton nowadays is different, gates are constantly winched over, rubbish is dumped everywhere around the remaining tracks left open. Circle works is done by 4wder on grass verges. Sides tracks are torn up. Fires are lit. I hate seeing the bush locked up, but i hate seeing it wrecked even more. With the number of people doing the wrong thing the areas will be locked up. No Question. 4wd's must improve there behavior immediately. Way too many half pissed dickheads wrecking stuff.

The last sentence says a lot. Seen it myself. Group of dickheads, young, middle and older dickheads. Circle work in the middle of the river crossing, numerous of the group Out of the river and circle work through the open area of paddock, again multiple of them. Over to the seat/fireplace area. More stubbies and "How good was that" comments. Meanwhile the young dickheads see the camp fire cooking stands and think it's there for them to bounce up and down on bending it useless. I then have some words with the older ones that should no better and get told "they're just kids being kids" they dragged the kids, maybe 12 years old, over to them. Finish the stubbies, threw them in the fire pit, and off up they road they went, as fast as they could manage. This was only one of the places they visited on that weekend, and it appeared that this was the norm for them.