Vic High country- anywhere good in a few weeks?

silkwood

I have a week holiday coming up. Was going to take the boat to the York Peninsula but have decided it would be better to support towns in Victoria at the moment. On the basis that the weather will be conducive and not be creating more fire risk (in which case we will obviously cancel) are there any areas you could suggest for a little camping? Dislike caravan parks but would grudgingly stay at accommodation for a couple of nights, then camp for a few. Spend dollars on meals, fuel and groceries (+ beer & Scotch, of course...)

By the looks of the maps the area south east of Jamieson (towards Licola) looks okay at the moment. I'd love to camp next to a river (flyfishing!) but anywhere "bushy" will do. Not sure of the state of the rivers anyway.

Cheers,
Mark

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Mark, I was over there NYE and had to cancel our plans out of Dargo back to Mansfield way due to the fires

Can I suggest, Granny's Flat Campground or Skipworth Reserve both have nice little rivers running next to them, a visit to Jamieson Brewery & Grill would be a recommendation for a really nice beverage or 2 with a beautiful meal. Then meander to Licola via Mt Skene there is a really nice campground there or continue on to Macallister River there are a few nice sites around there that I noticed but didn't check out.

I headed to Dargo via Heyfield where I fueled up as it had the cheapest fuel and I needed about 180L being the first fuel up since leaving Adelaide, Dargo has missed out on Australia Day due to the fires but they do excellent meals and the beer is refreshingly cold, they have a choice of cabins or a Campground out the back. There are currently fires in the area above Dargo and to the West but it may be clear by the time you go.

Failing that, and what we did, was to spend a couple of days at O'Tooles, when you get to Heyfield head to Walhalla - the pub does an excellent Chicken Parmigiana my son reckons the best he's ever had, the area has a very rich history, then take the back roads to Donnelly Creek Road stopping at Store Point and many other huts before you get to O'Tooles. Once your done there head up to Woods Point via Merringtons Track or continue on Donnellys Creek Road, the Woods Point Pub has just reopened and also do good pub grub, this then takes you back to Jamieson.

Hope that helps a bit and keeps you out of the fire prone areas as I think Abbeyard still has some issues

cheers

silkwood

Thanks for that. I want to go through (perhaps stay in) a community which has been affected, near camping areas that haven't. You've suggested pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the heads up. I may consider Dargo (you're right, nice pub) depending upon the situation when the time comes. I thought members here would have a better idea of current situations than myself.

I have rellies who lost their property near Chandlers Creek, but they have suggested it's a good place to avoid for a while. A little far for a quick week long trip anyway. I imagine most of the High Country and Gippsland areas are suffering low visitor numbers right now.

Cheers,
Mark

Bomber2012

Pretty much what @cookie64 has mentioned , there are plenty of good spots around Licola which haven't been burnt out . I can PM you some spots that are not hard to get to if you want .