VIC 4WD Access Only Camping

mcflurry

Hi everyone,

Do you know of any good campsites in Victoria (preferably only a few hours from Melb) that are 4wd access only? My favorite spot believe it or not is Talbotville (while not strictly 4wd only you never see anyone else). Talbotville is a little far with the kids this weekend so hoping for something similar a bit closer without too many sedans pumping their loud music, and some people around with the common interest.

Let me know if you have any in mind!

Cheers
Brad

mcflurry

I was considering O'Tooles campground but I'm concerned I'll only find idiots and it won't be safe for the kids. How often do you see bad behavior in this neck of the woods @Grumpy ?

mcflurry

Turns out O'Tooles was a very bad decision, horrible experience for the kids who no longer want to go camping due to the yahoos. Too bad this forum is so quiet these days.

• Angry
Reactions: phs

Paddler Ed

The problem is this thing called "Google" that is very good at searching this thing called the "internet"

If you put up a really cool (d!ckhead free) place, then it can be found after a few clicks quite often, especially on a reliable forum like this which would rank high on their results.

I rarely post up where we go, because it is so free of idiots (helped by being a good distance away from the major cities), but there is a bit of local idiocy every so often.

Sorry it didn't go according to plan, but it is indicative of the state of some campers at the moment.

discomatt

Thats why I very rarely go away on long weekends or when the masses are out, school, Christmas and Easter holidays are all definite no go times unless you want to go for a loooong drive.
Not much close to Melbourne that will not have "different" campers these days on any given weekend, now we are in lock down it will definately only be "that" type of campers because everyone else is at home looking at maps and gazing out the window at the shit weather

Bomber2012

Turns out O'Tooles was a very bad decision, horrible experience for the kids who no longer want to go camping due to the yahoos. Too bad this forum is so quiet these days.
Don't blame the forum mate , as mentioned no one is going to post a quiet spot close to Melb . Best you get off your computer and find your quiet spot , theres plenty of spots reasonably close to Melbourne just need to remove the digit and explore . So many people these days are to lazy / couldn't be bothered looking and rely on the internet for all the answers .

phs

Agree with bomber but that said idiots frequent a lot more of the bush than years ago....

doesn’t matter what your doing simply having respect for one and another should be standard practice

When we were going out in our 20s we would definitely not go to places like Otooles we would find spots far away from other camps

why people go to family oriented places like Otooles and merringtons and act like tools is beyond me

A mate of myn took his kids camping down Rubicon valley, they decided at 2am to pack up and go home after half the forest was being cut down around them

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ah! here I go again. Where are all the Ranger Patrols ????
Do I have to go into the Permit to go bush suggestion again???
OK. let me post it for the umpteenth time.
Maybe one day I won't because all these beautiful places will be gone.

My prediction, from a bloke who has camped in a lot of Victoria, along rivers, creeks, swamps, oceans, high country, summer, winter, whatever since 1952 (about sixty eight years).
1. As time goes by there will be many more tracks, places, etc. closed to 4wd's forever .
2. This is due to the incredible large numbers of people now going out there finding easy access with a fourby.
3. The millions of dollars to be had by sellers of 4wd's and their equipment as well as all the camping shit.
4. There are many, no a bloody lot, who believe some things done by others are wrong but when it comes to them it is a different set of rules.
5. Many people who go bush have no idea about looking after the bush as much as looking after themselves and don't give a stuff about the rules and regulations.
6. The only way to stop more closures happening is to have authorities policing the whole thing. That is Rangers, Parks officers, etc. with the authority to not only fine but confiscate vehicles, equipment, etc. (like fisheries) and to have lots of them out there patrolling, educating, etc, at all times.
7. The only way this can or will happen is if the real fair dinkum 4wd community pay for it.
There you go, I said it again. I have advocated for years now, an annual permit (whatever it costs) , that all 4wdérs must hold to go bush and this would pay for those required to enforce the rules. Please don't bring up, "we pay taxes", "it is the government responsibility", "I do the right thing", "only a few bad ones", etc. You can procrastinate until the cows come home, in the meantime more closures will happen. .
Whew! there, got it out again.

boobook

Sorry to hear that McFlurry. Yes I agree that the whole Walhalla area is a disaster for hoons, trail bikes with loud, big groups that take over campsites. I just don't go there anymore.

I believe that you have to go a minimum of 4 hours, with 5 as a minimum in good weather or long weekends to get away from the crowds, even that is 50 / 50 on a nice long weekend. I am sure many people on 4x4 have some favorite, quiet spots on a river but probably, like me, you won't catch them advertising quiet hidden spots on a forum. They'll end up like O'tools.

Unfortunately, I think it takes some exploring and time, or travel with friends who have the experience, to find nice campsites in the high country. Surprisingly there are not as many as you would first think. I even pick areas where I am unfamiliar and go on reccy's. A 4wd trip with the primary purpose of finding new quiet camp spots.

As to the kids, take them back to Talbotville on a non long weekend. Depending on how old they are, get them into geocaching, starting around your home area and then go look for the caches at the cemetery, good hope mine etc. That is a buzz if they are in the 6 - 12 yo age group. Or take them to a caravan park that's on a river that allows fires. That is an easy option to get them interested again. Youcamp.com is another option, though it can be pricy.

After Covid is over in Vic, I think it will take 5 - 7 hours of driving to find good quiet spots.

itlldoo

in Vic, I think it will take 5 - 7 hours of driving to find good quiet spots.
so interstate then...lol ;)
it is all in the timing to find perfection...........
school holidays.............NO
public holidays..............NO
have to plan outside the box mate...the spots are out there,
if its something you want you just got to put in the time. cause nothing comes easy these days........good luck :cool:

boobook

so interstate then...lol ;)

Not at all. In reality, Wonnangatta for example is a good 6 -7 hours from Melbourne, so are lots of spots on tracks around Dargo. 4 hours to Dargo, then 1 - 3 hours from there to lots of good spots with few people. One of my favourite spots is 4 hours to the track turn off, then another 2 from there.

Of course, there are some hidden gems that are closer, but this little black duck won't post their location here.

But I definitely agree. It's something you have to put time and research into or go with mates that have already done that.

mcflurry

Thanks for all the replies, and while I appreciate you need to travel further than ever to find quiet places, anyone with kids under 3 know that traveling long distances to explore an area is simply not possible. Back home in QLD I had my own places since I was able to drive long distances on my own, however that's just no longer possible.

Don't blame the forum? Sure thing, I guess I should expect a site dedicated to off-roading to ignore a question on a place to take the family. After all, what was I to expect @Bomber2012? Particularly when the site I was requesting information on was built upon by this very community, imagine someone having some knowledge on that campground.

mcflurry

@rogerazz Couldn't agree more with your post. As someone who worked for the Dept. Fisheries in QLD for many years the powers they hold need to be extended to park rangers also.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
Was out at OTooles over the weekend; 20-30 locals(no virus issues...) from Newborough made it a noisy shithole Sat night, can't see this place staying on the 'go to' list anymore..
The place was looking good in all other ways, picked up a few empty stubbies but that was about it.

Skurfer

Thanks for all the replies, and while I appreciate you need to travel further than ever to find quiet places, anyone with kids under 3 know that traveling long distances to explore an area is simply not possible. Back home in QLD I had my own places since I was able to drive long distances on my own, however that's just no longer possible.

Don't blame the forum? Sure thing, I guess I should expect a site dedicated to off-roading to ignore a question on a place to take the family. After all, what was I to expect @Bomber2012? Particularly when the site I was requesting information on was built upon by this very community, imagine someone having some knowledge on that campground.

The forum went to shit after all the ads came in. I hardly check it anymore due to to them and I haven't really missed much.
My last experience at O'Tooles a few months ago was really good. Was midweek though and we were the only ones there. Doesn't help you though.

Just stay in a spot not in a normal campsite. Keep your eyes open as you are driving and when you see a nice spot along a river or whatever just stop there. That's what I usually do when I am tripping around with my daughter, or most times actually. Very little chance of the dickhead factor coming along that way and have stayed at some brilliant spots.

Dickheads in official camping spots on weekends have always been a thing as long as I can remember so I rarely bother. If you can ever manage it week day trips in the high country are the best. Hardly ever see anyone. Worth taking a few days off work to do.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
The forum went to shit after all the ads came in. I hardly check it anymore due to to them and I haven't really missed much.
I reckon maybe a few people out there have not missed you very much either, that's me anyway. ;)