Change background image

(VHC) From Abbeyard Rd to Wonnangatta Valley to Eaglevale Campsite?

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by rob_macca67, Mar 23, 2018.

1. rob_macca67

rob_macca67 Well-Known Member

Guys,

We're heading down to the VHC in the next couple of weeks and we plan to basecamp for 2-3days at King River Campsite, leave our trailer there and head out exploring from there. Our 2nd Basecamp is at Eaglevale Campgrounds at the junction of Eaglevale/Wonnangatta Rd. To get with our trailers from our basecamp #1 to basecamp#2 we plan to head back north to Abbeyard Rd then onto the following tracks to get to Wonnangatta Valley:
    West Buffalo Tk > Harry Shepherds Tk > Wonnangatta Tk to Wonnangatta Stn Ruins.

From here to Eaglevale Campsite is where I'm a bit concern when it comes to our trailers. Our proposed route is:

Wonnangatta Stn Ruins > Herne Spur Tk > Cynthia Range Tk > Eaglevale Tk into our proposed Campsite @ Eaglevale Campgrounds.
    I've been told not to tow our trailers up Herne Spur Tk due to wombat holes, loose dirt, etc, but rather along Humffray River Tk > Wombat Range Tk then onto Cynthia Range Tk.

My question is to the guys that know this area.... Can we go via Herne Spur Tk with our trailers or should we take the alternative route?
    Can anyone see any issues with the tracks I've chosen to get from Basecamp#1 to Basecamp#2 when considering this is the section that we will have our trailers in tow?

rob

2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate
    I wouldn't take trailers up Herne its quite steep and unpredictable... Especially if damp etc...

rob_macca67 likes this.
  3. rob_macca67

Cool, thanks.... looks like we will take the alternative route then.....

Swaggie likes this.
  4. ipch

ipch Member

East Buffalo is better for trailers..Harry Sheppard's has one spot that with just a wet mist will have you out with the winch.
    Hearns Spur is steep and long with very few spots to let your car cool down..
    IF it happens to be hot on Hearns you will most likely boil, and once you get to that stage you cant stop because you wont
    get going again.

rob_macca67 likes this.
  5. Travelled Herne Spur TK in early March coming out of Wonnangatta, it was very dry, dusty and the surface was good, had 11 vehicles behind me no trailers. there is a couple of steep little sections on it that have some loose rocks but a fairly easy climb. if I was towing a trailer I would hang a left and go up the Wombat Range Track as there is nothing to prove by travelling Herne Spur. I have travelled both tracks many times over the years.

rob_macca67 likes this.
  6. rob_macca67

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on which way i look at it, we didn't get a chance to visit/drive any of these tracks due to a few circumstances and to catch up on some lost time we missed this area totally as we came down Dargo Plains Rd and came into Billy Goats Bluff Track that way..... We will leave those tracks until next time and it will be without a trailer for at least. Even though my old Defender did it, it did put extra load on it as I did see the EGT's and Engine temps rise to levels that I usually don't take it to. We did do a few interesting tracks w/o the trailers and the old defender felt like it had a breathe of new life in her.... Towing certainly increased the fuel usage to high side as well.....

Swaggie likes this.