Vegetarian cooking while camping

richardlnsw

I have a friend's son coming out from the USA in June and I am taking him on a 3 week trip to the red centre. He is a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!
I need some help please. I know that there are snags, lasagne, rissoles and stuff but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Chatty

Our Foodland has a fantastic range of frozen vegetarian meals.
All you need is a freezer to store them.

And a microwave to heat them in.

I'm not really helping am I?

smitty_r51

Can of chick peas, kidney beans or lentils mashed with a fork make a good mince substitute for burgers, we have them as a meat free alternative.

Lentil chilli or spagbol, again substitute a few cans of brown lentils for the minced beef.

Can ask the wife for other ideas tomorrow if you need more, she likes to do veggie days as part of our routine

Chatty

Pasta with sauce is a vegetarian staple and easy to prepare when camping. You can even use the same basic sauce in two pots - one without meat (perhaps with tofu) and one with meat.
You can get Tofurkey and similar "meats" at most supermarkets to use either in a sauce or as a sandwich meat. There is even a tofu bacon substitute for breakfast... And baked beans are vegetarian!
Try a Laksa with rice noodles and tofu instead of meat. Tinned mushrooms (as rubbery as they are) always add flavor and last longer than fresh mushrooms.
You might be surprised at how good a slow cooked stew made with vegetables and stock with a little flour to thicken can be - again, tofu can add some texture.
Baked vegetables - keep your meat joint separate - with maybe some tofu meat?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just give him dry biscuits and water for two or three days, then put on some snags, or chops, or steaks, or hamburgers.
Then suggest he should keep eating the biscuits, or try some real food.:),
Remember, beans means fart.:eek:

mikehzz

A lot depends on what he will eat. Check if he is ok with eggs and cheese. If not then it becomes harder. There's actually a stack of frozen stuff in the supermarket like different types of vege sausages and patties that are quite tasty.

oldlux

Take him to the supermarket and let him choose his own tucker. limit him to canned grub as it does not need refrigeration, fresh vegetables will be a problem if he wants to go outback. You could get hold of a bush tucker book and let him find his own??

richardlnsw

Cheers all. Appreciate the info.
Eggs are a no no as well.:( He is 19 and has been a vege for 6 months so the smell of bacon and eggs cooking at camp might turn him back!!! I realise that pasta dishes are easy but I am more concerned with the protein intake as well. As I wont have a freezer this limits it a fair bit although I do cryovac all my food to help it last longer.
yes Jase, I do have to take him lol
Yes Todd.... Hope to be somewhere near Alice for July 1.:cool:

Last edited:

Chatty

Yep, the dreaded Earth Conscious Environmentally Friendly Socially Aware Teenager.

Have run across this species before and feeding them can be problematic. The best approach is to lock them in a rabbit hutch in the back yard and push lettuce and carrots through the door until they repent.

Unfortunately Cyrovac won't work with a lot of vege based foods...

Kippie

Lentils, beans and nuts are great for protein. The fresh kind can be stored in bags, so easy to travel with. Potatoes, carrots, onions and zucchinis do not require refrigeration either.

mikehzz

Mate, might I suggest that you get him to pick his food and cook it himself. Non vegetarians cooking for vegetarians is a recipe for disaster.....literally. :) Not only that, it wrecks it for both. Give him some space in the fridge and a $20 cooker. I'm speaking from experience, there are vegetarians and non vegetarians in my house. If he starts preaching about it then kick his arse. :)

Albynsw

Mate, might I suggest that you get him to pick his food and cook it himself. Non vegetarians cooking for vegetarians is a recipe for disaster.....literally. :) Not only that, it wrecks it for both. Give him some space in the fridge and a $20 cooker. I'm speaking from experience, there are vegetarians and non vegetarians in my house. If he starts preaching about it then kick his arse. :)

We also have a veg in our house and a few friends the same..........they always look hungry and when we eat out they have bugger all to choose from on the menu usually.
Won't get me on it, I am having a traditional lamb roast and baked veges for dinner tonight :D:D:D

Last edited:

Spooner

Unknown.jpeg