Vegetarian cooking while camping

stevemc181

A lot of vegetarians and vegans, probably the majority in fact, object to the factory farming and treatment of animals and don't eat things like meat or chicken as a protest at the cruelty and suffering that is caused by it. Not eating meat makes life very difficult to be sure. The taste is a minor consideration.
Yep, I agree with this. My missus is a vegetarian and an avid animal activist. She still cooks me meat and sometimes wishes she could eat it, but the drive she has against the ill treatment of any animal stops her.

I tried going vegetarian, but only lasted 4 days, You certainly need to be a vege fan if you go down this path and I love my steaks and kebabs way too much. We don't struggle at all on offroad trips, she takes whatever rabbit food that would normally be eaten at home. We also take a 40 litre freezer and stock up on some frozen vege burgers/vege pies and spring rolls etc. Lots of trail mixes and nuts for snacks etc during the day keeps her happy.

Triton14

Vego's are a lot better educated these days as the info is just at your finger tips, what annoys me is the fad diets!
In the past though I remember serving plenty of vegetarians that wanted gravy on their meal!
I'd recon it still happens :D

In not anti vego as I love all vegetable myself, but 9 times out of 10 they are the a side dish to the main protein.

I bough this shirt for myself for xmas, i don't think the vego's appreciate it to much :eek::)
But I am a hunter/gatherer & the animals I take from the wild are organic, no added hormones!

Mash potato.jpg

Albynsw

A lot of vegetarians and vegans, probably the majority in fact, object to the factory farming and treatment of animals and don't eat things like meat or chicken as a protest at the cruelty and suffering that is caused by it. Not eating meat makes life very difficult to be sure. The taste is a minor consideration.
So why don't they offer free range, killed with love meat products for them to eat :)
it is interesting also with vego's and Vegans, they usually don't seem to have an issue with wearing leather shoes, belts , handbags etc, and do they feed their pet dogs, cats etc meat?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Good point Alby, and of course there is animal fat in chocolate (at least most of it, not sure if there are alternates).
Suppose fish is technically off the menu too, but I have seen vegetarians eat chicken and fish, maybe there are varying degrees of vegos.

Albynsw

Good point Alby, and of course there is animal fat in chocolate (at least most of it, not sure if there are alternates).
Suppose fish is technically off the menu too, but I have seen vegetarians eat chicken and fish, maybe there are varying degrees of vegos.
One of my sons is a Vego but he still eats fish, his issue is the animal cruelty side of things. The rest of the family are big meat eaters
I understand their issue of animal welfare but don't see the point of depriving your body of a healthy balanced diet.
I think they would be better off saying they will eat meat that is humanely treated and there will be someone who will start a business to meet their needs

Triton14

The 4 types of vego's are-
  • Lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat both dairy products and eggs; this is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
  • Lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs.
  • Ovo-vegetarian. Eats eggs but not dairy products.
  • Vegans do not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other products which are derived from animals.
The list of fad diets is endless!

mikehzz

I've had a stack of fantastic vegetarian meals. I've yet to find one in any restaurant, most chefs wouldn't know if their arse was on fire when it comes to making a vegetarian meal. There's usually one thing on the menu that's a spinach and ricotta pasta or risotto with mushrooms. My wife won't eat any of that so we don't eat out as often as we'd like because it's usually a complete waste of money.
As for a balanced diet, that's just crap propaganda in my opinion. The meat eaters in our house get sick with things like the flu far more often than the veges. It's very noticeable by everyone here. How about your place Alby?

Albynsw

I've had a stack of fantastic vegetarian meals. I've yet to find one in any restaurant, most chefs wouldn't know if their arse was on fire when it comes to making a vegetarian meal. There's usually one thing on the menu that's a spinach and ricotta pasta or risotto with mushrooms. My wife won't eat any of that so we don't eat out as often as we'd like because it's usually a complete waste of money.
As for a balanced diet, that's just crap propaganda in my opinion. The meat eaters in our house get sick with things like the flu far more often than the veges. It's very noticeable by everyone here. How about your place Alby?
Nah the other way round here, the ones on a balanced diet fair better health wise.

peterfermtech

Have you noticed how much taller south east Asians are becoming now they are getting a decent supply of animal protein? But I guess the vego's would blame it on hormones.

regards

billolga

I have a friend's son coming out from the USA in June and I am taking him on a 3 week trip to the red centre. He is a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!
I need some help please. I know that there are snags, lasagne, rissoles and stuff but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Richard, you could turn Vegetarian too & the problem would be solved!:cool::D
Your doing the trip & he is coming along with you right? It's a bit like a Vegetarian turning up to a Barbi & wanting a special meal.
You pick & cook your food & he can work out what he needs & cooks it. (Keep in mind depending on where you go the Vegi Nappers could take his food - after a week the Banger's can look REALLY good! )

Last edited:

cam04

I've just 'invested' in some happy camper gourmet meals for an upcoming trip. It turns out that their 'country harvest' meal is vegetarian. You could grab a few of those pouches and just add rice/pasta/spuds and you are done for at least a few nights anyway.