VDJ76 fuel issue

LCV8VICTORIA

So if I leave the car for a bit I go to start it and it stalls then I restart straight away and start and runs fault less

If car is running and turn off and turn on straight away it starts and runs with no stall

But if you wait like 10 seconds and start again it stalls and then start again it runs fine

The Only thing I have touched is the fuel lilter
Count it be the filer housing letting air in some how?

Like the drain at the bottom of it or the primer leaking?
The hoses seem to be fine

If you prime it up it should remain primed yeah if you don't start it and the primer should stay hard?

If you wait 10seonds the primer goes soft like it's got no fuel at it

What's your thoughts?

IMG_6350.JPG

phs

Given you don't have a secondary filter or aftermark chip ?

Check filter housing lid is sealed correctly
to lower housing, Check all connecting hoses are tight, continually Press pump on top of lid until it is firm.

LCV8VICTORIA

Given you don't have a secondary filter or aftermark chip ?

Check filter housing lid is sealed correctly
to lower housing, Check all connecting hoses are tight, continually Press pump on top of lid until it is firm.

Nah only the one
and no chip
Yeah all hoses a tight
I press it firm it goes firm the wait 10 seconds and goes soft again?

phs

Nah only the one
and no chip
Yeah all hoses a tight
I press it firm it goes firm the wait 10 seconds and goes soft again?

If it just started happening imedietly after the filter was changed dismantle and re assemble look for any pinched seals.

keep pushing primer and look for leaks

Last edited:

phs

Did you replace the O ring with the new filter ? The Flat side of the rubber faces down

Albynsw

Agree with what Phs said
It sounds like the O ring is leaking air or you have disturbed a hose when changing filter
I have had the same issue with my secondary filter

Buxter

I always reseat fuel and oil filters with a very slight amount is grease.
Never had an issue.
Try that !

LCV8VICTORIA

Think I may have disturbed a hose
I pulled all hoses off and put hose clamp instead of the shit hose clips lol
See how it goes

phs

Not a good idea even the hose and fittings used to bypass the filter could have been dirty enough to cause injector wear

I do remember one of the 2 filter connections being a lot looser than the other due to one being a slightly smaller barb, I did ditch the factory clips as I could pull them off by hand

Also the filter O rings flat side facing up will cause issues

Buxter

I should have added !
Get real fuel line hose clamps, and not cheap rubbish from China.
The other thing to look at is, maybe the fuel filter housing has let go somewhere. .
Just wondering !

john4x4

Wait, didn't u say bypassing the fuel filter fixed the issue? Surely the issue is at the filter then???
1. undo top of filter housing (3 allen bolts - I changed these to HT steel hex and washers)
2. remove filter and check/discard, along with the big o-ring
3. drain/remove filter housing, disconnect electrics and and wipe it out,
4. undo the base plastic drain mechanism and inspect medium o-ring, clean as necessary and re-tighten (hand tight is good enough)
5. re-install filter housing
6. Install new filter with its own small o-ring, flat side down, wipe fresh diesel on the big o-ring and install.
7. Replace top of filter housing, tighten allen bolts evenly, and press lift pump button until back pressure is felt.
8. Check engine start procedure

LCV8VICTORIA

I thought I did but problem is still there

If I leave car for a bit and I start it it just stalls then quickly restart it and it starts.

Has to be a electrical problem?

discomatt

Re clamps, screw worm drive are the best, manufacturers don't use them due to robotics, nothing to do with whats best and any good clamp has the outer edge slightly folded out away from the hose so it doesn't cut it over time. That's the real difference between a good and crap clamp.
Re the stalling, maybe that's a fuel saving feature that is finally working properly:p
Merry Christmas.

john4x4

Could still be air getting into the fuel system...do u have a scan gauge to check for fault codes, if you think it is electrical? Maybe a trip to Mr Toymota will help?