Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

GPS Guru

I’m looking at purchasing a vacuum sealer in the $200 range. I was looking at the Foodsaver VS6100 at Harvey Norman but there were a couple of reviews that highlighted several issues ie. hard to close, poor instructions and inserting kitchen paper in with the meat so that it would seal. That doesn’t do it for me. I was after recommendations for a reliable unit and where to pucrchase one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Triton14

I have a Sunbeam Foodsaver VS7800 which is quite a few years old now, probably more like 8 years ago now & still going strong.
Think I paid about $300 for it & I have got my money back several times since.

Not sure on this model as its on the cheaper side but Im sure it will do the job.

No idea about the kitchen paper you talk about, never used it but I can only presume its so bones dont pierce the bags??
I know some butchers use a gauze material to stop bones punchering bags.

Most of the things I vac dont have sharp bones but yes I work in kitchens & if we get lamb 4Q chops they have a gauze lining but I just soft vac similar items so not to pierce the bags.

My 1st vac machine was a $26 ebay special & that still works as well.

Its all about how you use them!

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

I wouldn't waste my money cause there's no such thing as leftovers at my place! Either the kids or the dog end up savouring the titbits!

Swaggie

If you can wait Aldi have machines here and there, I’ve spoken to a couple of people that are happy with them.
I’m sure some other members would have bought them also.

Triton14

I wouldn't waste my money cause there's no such thing as leftovers at my place! Either the kids or the dog end up savouring the titbits!
It's not about todays leftovers it's more about future meals & saving money on bulk buys like meat when on special.

Mind you I'm a hunter so at one point I have had 2 deer fully broken down in single portion cuts plus larger joints plus hand made sausages & mince etc.

Call me a prepper or a forward thinker but I always have at least 3 weeks worth of frozen freshly made meals vac packed in the freezer & rotate them on a monthly basis.

People spend a fortune on bought pre prepared meals & Uber eats but hey it only takes a bit of effort really

discomatt

It's not about todays leftovers it's more about future meals & saving money on bulk buys like meat when on special.
Not just that but the convenience when traveling is brilliant, on big trips we take anything up to 20-25 precooked, vac sealed and frozen meals plus the bonus of vac sealed meat is it last heaps longer and no possibility of blood all through the fridge.
No idea what brand we have but re seal able bags is the go for cost and environment

Triton14

Not just that but the convenience when traveling is brilliant, on big trips we take anything up to 20-25 precooked, vac sealed and frozen meals plus the bonus of vac sealed meat is it last heaps longer and no possibility of blood all through the fridge.
No idea what brand we have but re seal able bags is the go for cost and environment
Absolutely.
I work all different shifts & the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook so pull out a single serve meal & put it in some water to that then simmer in the bag while I'm having a shower & 30 minutes later I'm having coconut satay pork or lasagna.

And as you say, stack these into your 12v fridge & you have good home cooked food in the middle of nowhere.

20200829_085913.jpg

Triton14

I do like how the Luvele's deluxe pro does a double line seal instead of the single the FS does, thats a real advantage, especially if your cooking/reheating in the bags.
I do a double seal but have to do it manually.

cam04

I do like how the Luvele's deluxe pro does a double line seal instead of the single the FS does, thats a real advantage, especially if your cooking/reheating in the bags.
I do a double seal but have to do it manually.
Mate do you use bags or rolls With your sunbeam? I have the freshkeeper model.

I‘ve had no problem with bags but I have had a couple of lower seals on rolls give way in boiling water which is far from ideal. It may well be my camp reheat technique - pissed or tired / pissed and tired and full boar usually if I’m raiding the pre cooked supplies haha.

Triton14

Mate do you use bags or rolls With your sunbeam? I have the freshkeeper model.

I‘ve had no problem with bags but I have had a couple of lower seals on rolls give way in boiling water which is far from ideal. It may well be my camp reheat technique - pissed or tired / pissed and tired and full boar usually if I’m raiding the pre cooked supplies haha.
I use both rolls & bags(Orved) but all brands have a temperature rating so technically some are for just food storage & other for cooking.

I know what your saying with the seams sometimes splitting which usually occurs with to much heat.

The bags I have are rated to 70*c so I never boil them, I just stick to a water bath temp of no more than 75*c max & just let it heat a bit longer.

The cooking bags are a higher micron thickness & in the Orved they can go up to 115*c so they can be boiled.

This is who I get my bags from, next time I get some I am going to actually get some of the thicker cooking bags myself & Im going to start putting my heat & serve food in those & use the thinner ones for
In saying that I have only ever split one or 2 bags in about 6 years but its good to have added security for sure.

I do also make my own larger bags from the rolls as my machine has a roll dispenser inside it so I can make any length I need, you can also get the Orved cooking bags in rolls as well so I think I will get a couple as well.

cam04

I use both rolls & bags(Orved) but all brands have a temperature rating so technically some are for just food storage & other for cooking.

I know what your saying with the seams sometimes splitting which usually occurs with to much heat.

The bags I have are rated to 70*c so I never boil them, I just stick to a water bath temp of no more than 75*c max & just let it heat a bit longer.

The cooking bags are a higher micron thickness & in the Orved they can go up to 115*c so they can be boiled.

This is who I get my bags from, next time I get some I am going to actually get some of the thicker cooking bags myself & Im going to start putting my heat & serve food in those & use the thinner ones for
In saying that I have only ever split one or 2 bags in about 6 years but its good to have added security for sure.

I do also make my own larger bags from the rolls as my machine has a roll dispenser inside it so I can make any length I need, you can also get the Orved cooking bags in rolls as well so I think I will get a couple as well.

I got this lot of rolls off eBay so I’m going to assume I got the low temp bags. I did not know there were different ratings. I’ll sort some better hardware. Thankyou for the info!

Triton14

I got this lot of rolls off eBay so I’m going to assume I got the low temp bags. I did not know there were different ratings. I’ll sort some better hardware. Thankyou for the info!
No probs ;)

I guess I know what I know because I actually work in the food industry & been around this stuff for a long time.

Most manufacturers wouldn't even provide that information but because Orved is a industry supplier of pro equipment they do.

The other thing I love about vacuum sealing, particularly with meat, chicken & fish is that combined with a Sous Vide heater you can make the most amazing moist & tender steaks, chicken or fish.

I use the same cheaper Orved bags to do long, slow & low temperature cooking & with a quick seal in the pan with some olive oil & butter the results are mouth watering.

This is some Venison I did at home with the Anova for 5 hours @ 50*c & then seared it quickly in the pan

Venison2.jpg

cam04

I do a lot of reverse searing so sous vide would be right up my alley. I begged for one at Christmas to do the eggs for 15 people having Benedict but she wouldn’t have it. Apparently we have no room for more appliances. I strongly disagree. Grandmas freaking punch set is still in the pantry.......

Triton14

I do a lot of reverse searing so sous vide would be right up my alley. I begged for one at Christmas to do the eggs for 15 people having Benedict but she wouldn’t have it. Apparently we have no room for more appliances. I strongly disagree. Grandmas freaking punch set is still in the pantry.......
Sounds like you just need to get one & only use it in the man cave & just hope she doesn't hear the moaning sounds that comes out of there :p

Triton14

They take up bugger all room, tell her they are as big as a hair dryer ;)

I just use a saucepan as the water bath so your using something you already have in the cupboard as well.

I have an older version of the Anova precision cooker with wifi-

I just looked & now Anova even have a vacuum sealer as well!

Talking about eggs, I used my Anova to do eggs at home for xmas breakfast.

I wanted to do quail eggs but couldnt find any so just did a small chickens egg yolk

Confit 62*c egg yolk, buckwheat Blini, smoked salmon, avo puree, creme fraiche & caviar

Egg.jpg

GPS Guru

I ended up purchasing one of these https://vacuumpackagingwarehouse.co...ts/320mm-food-vacuum-sealer-roll-starter-pack No brand name and cost $219 including a couple of rolls of sealing material. I have just sealed some veggies for the first time with the intent of freezing them for a few weeks. I steamed the vegies for about three minutes then threw them into some iced water and froze them for a couple of hours before packaging them. The machine seemed to seal very well. It will be interesting to see how the vegies come out after a couple of weeks. I've never frozen vegies before.