Ute or Wagon? Which is better? Pros and Cons.

ThePuppySo1dier

What do you think is better? A ute or a wagon? I think a wagon because:
Pros.
There have comfy then ute.
They are cheaper to get there.
Cons.
They can't carry as much or roof rack or a 4wd trailer.

Pros.
Ute is 100% modifiable.
They can carry more than a wagon.
You can make you make your money back because you can use a ute for work.
Cons.
Even tho they are 100% modifiable, it cost a lot.
Easy-er to take for a tray if it doesn't have lockable boxes.

What do you say?

Neddysmith

For myself i prefer my ute, for the fact i have a family so for shorter trips everything can fit in the tray, i can go on wood runs very easily, take stuff to tip etc etc, without having to worry about connecting a trailer up each time and then having to worry bout storing a trailer.

Chatty

Yeah, good question.
Had an 80 series wagon, loved it but sold it because I thought a ute would be better, so bought the Hilux.
Had to sell the ute because I was forced into a company wagon (Prado).
Left that job and bought a Pajero wagon because I was loving the wagon and preferred it to the Hilux ute (which, to me, are totally overrated).
Now selling the wagon to buy a ute (GMC Sierra) because I need the tow capacity. But, getting a full canopy, so it's really the wagon you're having when you're not having a wagon...

For me, the up sides to a ute compared to a wagon are:
  • Load carrying - firewood, furniture, whatever [we personally don't need that sort of carrying capacity any more]
  • Usually sit a bit higher, so better ground clearance
  • Bit more flexibility to play with the suspension
  • You can park in loading zones
  • Smelly loads don't waft through the cabin - just ask me about the time I spilt diesel in the back of the Pajero...
  • It's a work vehicle - who cares if it gets scratched?
  • It's a work vehicle - who cares if you've got half of Big Red on the floor?
The up sides to a wagon compared to a ute are:
  • Everything is locked away inside, away from prying eyes
  • More back seat leg room (except the big American utes which have a back seat big enough for its own postcode)
  • More refined ride
  • Quieter inside
  • Usually better equipped
  • Rego is usually cheaper as they aren't classed as commercial vehicles
  • Insurance is usually cheaper
  • You don't have relatives/friends/people you've never met before pestering you to help them move house
  • Towing capacities are usually realistic (unlike the utes which typically overstate their towing capacity by about 500kg)(except the big American utes which are built for towing)
At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference and what's driving your decision at the time. I liked my Hilux, but never thought that it was worth what it cost and the "ute compromises" were not worth the benefits. I've loved my wagons, but there not a wagon out there that will give me the towing capacity I need, so it's back to a ute.
Having said that, the Sierra is more truck than ute and it's finished and equipped to wagon standard and with a canopy it will be virtually a wagon anyway.

cam04

Ute. Base model. White. I'm hard on gear. Mine is bigger inside and more comfortable in touring trim than any mid sized wagon i've been in. Empty around town is a different story but that was my choice.

ThePuppySo1dier

Yeah, good question.
Had an 80 series wagon, loved it but sold it because I thought a ute would be better, so bought the Hilux.
Had to sell the ute because I was forced into a company wagon (Prado).
Left that job and bought a Pajero wagon because I was loving the wagon and preferred it to the Hilux ute (which, to me, are totally overrated).
Now selling the wagon to buy a ute (GMC Sierra) because I need the tow capacity. But, getting a full canopy, so it's really the wagon you're having when you're not having a wagon...

For me, the up sides to a ute compared to a wagon are:
  • Load carrying - firewood, furniture, whatever [we personally don't need that sort of carrying capacity any more]
  • Usually sit a bit higher, so better ground clearance
  • Bit more flexibility to play with the suspension
  • You can park in loading zones
  • Smelly loads don't waft through the cabin - just ask me about the time I spilt diesel in the back of the Pajero...
  • It's a work vehicle - who cares if it gets scratched?
  • It's a work vehicle - who cares if you've got half of Big Red on the floor?
The up sides to a wagon compared to a ute are:
  • Everything is locked away inside, away from prying eyes
  • More back seat leg room (except the big American utes which have a back seat big enough for its own postcode)
  • More refined ride
  • Quieter inside
  • Usually better equipped
  • Rego is usually cheaper as they aren't classed as commercial vehicles
  • Insurance is usually cheaper
  • You don't have relatives/friends/people you've never met before pestering you to help them move house
  • Towing capacities are usually realistic (unlike the utes which typically overstate their towing capacity by about 500kg)(except the big American utes which are built for towing)
At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference and what's driving your decision at the time. I liked my Hilux, but never thought that it was worth what it cost and the "ute compromises" were not worth the benefits. I've loved my wagons, but there not a wagon out there that will give me the towing capacity I need, so it's back to a ute.
Having said that, the Sierra is more truck than ute and it's finished and equipped to wagon standard and with a canopy it will be virtually a wagon anyway.
Thank you for the info.

Rhett HS

I thought that wagon can also flex really good as well.
Utes flex well if you load them up enough or change parts of the suspension.

To my mind there are soo many advantages to a ute its too long a list. People and loads dont mix.

When someone brings a ute to market with long travel IRS with airbags, they will revolutionise the market.

discomatt

Yeah, except I don't like the way ALL the load is behind the rear axle.
Neither do I but do some research on the construction of the Disco 3 or 4 and you might get away with it, certainly more chance of surviving than most other twin cabs

Chatty

Neither do I but do some research on the construction of the Disco 3 or 4 and you might get away with it, certainly more chance of surviving than most other twin cabs
I see where you're coming from o_O
Having the weight behind the axle may well raise the front of the vehicle up high enough that all the oil runs away from the seals and gaskets and thus helps keep the oil in your engine, rather than on your driveway... :p

Awwww - c'mon, try convincing me that you didn't that sort of comment was coming ;)

discomatt

Having the weight behind the axle may well raise the front of the vehicle up high enough that all the oil runs away from the seals and gaskets and thus helps keep the oil in your engine, rather than on your driveway... :p
Na mate, Land Rover trumps again, EAS (electronic air suspension) keeps the car level so it wont run out and you get up to 80mm lift at the press of a button:p
Your it:)

Chatty

Na mate, Land Rover trumps again, EAS (electronic air suspension) keeps the car level so it wont run out and you get up to 80mm lift at the press of a button:p
Your it:)
Ah yes, but in the driveway the system deflates, after all, who heard of any Land Rover that could keep fluids (and air is a fluid) in the designated container? :p
Putting us back to... the weight keeping the nose up in the air thereby keeping the fluids in :D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :confused::rolleyes:

Rhett HS

Graft D3/4 suspension with mods onto my Amarok .

Or.....
20180823_181100.png
20180823_181121.png

hiluxdriver

I'm going through this dilema myself at the moment. I have decided on the make (Toyota) but can't decide on the model. Durability and simplicity of a 70, or comfort of a 200. I have a dog as well so the 70 is the smart choice, but I'm not known for smart choices.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I went from a Hilux (2002 model) to a 76 series wagon. (2010 model)
These two vehicles are in a completely different market to each other, so can't really compare the two side by side.

However, what I do miss in the ute is your gear being seperate.
The rattles, the smells, the noise etc caused from your cargo, dog, wet socks etc are in a different world to you. I do miss that.

Though in this case, the wagon is much better vechile. So I have learnt to deal!