Using UHF antenna for AM/FM radio?

Rackers03

G'day all,

I've got an old shitbox lux for the farm ('85 Ln65 4x4 bought for $500) and the factory radio antenna has not been there for a long time now. And I was wondering if it is possible to use a UHF antenna as my AM/FM radio antenna, and if it is possible to have it mounted on the bullbar and be able to wire it up to the factory wiring?

Just wanted to see if people know this can be done or any tips and tricks.

Cheers,
Hugh

Last edited:

John U

I used a coat hanger for a radio aerial for a while. If it’s just for a paddock basher a piece of wire shoved in to where the old aerial was might work. You could just fold the top over so it doesn’t take someone’s eye out.

RDM

G'day all,

I've got an old shitbox lux for the farm ('85 Ln65 4x4 bought for $500) and the factory radio antenna has not been there for a long time now. And I was wondering if it is possible to use a UHF antenna as my AM/FM radio antenna, and if it is possible to have it mounted on the bullbar and be able to wire it up to the factory wiring?

Just wanted to see if people know this can be done or any tips and tricks.

Cheers,
Hugh
I'm no expert but I don't think a UHF antenna would work as a AM/FM replacement. UHF operates on a different frequency to AM/FM and the antennas are tuned to the UHF frequency. You can pick up a GME AM/FM aerial that can be mounted on a bull bar fairly cheap from places like Repco, Jaycar or online like the one below

GME AEM3 AM FM ANTENNA 1M FIBREGLASS AERIAL WITH BASE L (gadgetcity.com.au)

mauriceb

I have been using a screw on 1100mm uhf antenna for years on a balum that is springe'd. I found this out when i once left my dedicated WPM148 https://www.mobileone.com.au/4b_amfm.html antenna home one year on a remote trip Reception in remote area's is much better than any stock antenna i have used and as good as the Mobile one antenna. FM reception is down a bit in quality once your in fringe area's .

Inigo Montoya

What is the reason you want to do this?

Assuming you already have an old UHF antenna laying around, so this is a cheapness thing, then yes it'll work. The connectors will be different, and I doubt you'll find adaptors, so you'll need to cut and join the cords.

If you're in a fringe area though I'd probably just spend the $20 on a spring based AM/FM antenna and fit that instead, it'll work better and plug straight in.