Votes: 24 46.2%
  • NO

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters

cptmud

woud you pay to use of 4wd tracks ?

would you be willing to join a club/organization and pay to be able to use 4wd tracks.

I belive if continual excessive damage occurs to 4wd tracks, many 4wd tracks will be closed. A user pay system, where clubs and organizations pay an anual fee to use tracks, May be an option. All trips are registered with a central body, this way people will be more accountable for thir actions. It will also help with if there are any people in the region if a fire or other emergency happens.

Last edited:

4X4

In Victoria, Four Wheel Drive Victoria has been negotiating for affiliated club members to have access to MVO (Management Vehicles Only) tracks for quite a while now. This would be subject to weather conditions and available under strict operating guidelines.

goldrush

Sounds like a good alternative to losing access altogether. Having to go as part of a group might stop some of the YAHOOS who destroy the tracks.

cptmud

this subject has been tossed around a fair bit, clubs would need to register trips with veichle numbers and proposed tracks. They would then be given a permit and key to said area to unlock gates. Anybody found on the tracks without these permits would be subjucted to large fines and possible car impoundment. Unfortantly, down the road a bit, and with the proposed closures listed, this may be the only alternative we will have to enjoy our pastime. I hope it dosnt come to this.

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
I guess I already pay to use as I belong to a club. It's a great thing belonging to a club, so many great like minded people.

Nick

LowLux

If a payment was involved through your club or whatever, the money could go towards things like track management/administration and issues such as the recent Victorian Fires etc.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Many clubs and groups of friends do the right thing and clear the fire trails but there is a small number that go and abuse them. It would be sad to go somewhere as a few friends and come accross a track that you can't go on because it isn't a club trip!

greybeard

absolutely against any form of 'special access' for gang members.

next we'll need to hold hands to cross the road.
i can see the argument for 'club access' but it's just shifting the onus onto clubs to act as track police and creating a class society. unfortunately not everyone likes or enjoys clubs. i go bush to get away from the rat race. the notion of holding hands, playing follow the leader and camping between the lines defeats the purpose.

i'm gunna go and pack the camper and get outa here while i still can :D

( and hope this post gets googled and cached before the internet censors ban forums :eek: )

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah,

Whilst I can see the good side to club access to MVO tracks, I think that it isn't a great solution. I know some people like to go off by themselves, and what about if a 2 or 3 vehicles want to go out?

In the US there appear to be a large number of parks that are privately owned and you pay for access. That is also a bad way to go.

There is a lot of bush out there, it is sad if it comes to this.

James

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Simon from 4WD TV emailed this link out about track closures. Here is the link YouTube - 4wdTVtube's Channel
This will open the video for the track closure in Victoria. The problem is everywhere and it may come done to clubs only access but it would be sad to see.

Blue Dog

Our bush land and trails should be open to all if in a club or not they are governed by State and National parks we pay rates, fees and taxes and pay for permits already to use most national parks, people who think clubs are gods and do no wrong are dreaming.

And the thought if you owned an off road vehicle and wanted to go bush for a weekend get away with the family or a couple of freinds that you would have to organize it and get your clubs permission and it has to be a registered event that a dozen or more other vehicles come along to is just wrong.

This subject gets under my skin with the way organizations and governments want to take away a basic freedom we as Australians are supposed to have,
and the way the decisions of how the management of the mountian's and bush lands have rules and conditions imposed by city people, governments, clubs and other groups who only visit on occasions or look at the areas on a map and lay down rules without even asking locals.

I have no beef against clubs I think they are good social things for people to be in it is they should not become governors of the land.

If clubs started to close trails and bushlands to the general public and access was for only club member groups how would this be different to the NPWS closing tracks? joe public would still not be able to use them, would this not be a form of private property for the clubs only ? if this was the case make clubs pay rates and insurance on the aloted land amount the same as any other property owners have to.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Our bush land and trails should be open to all if in a club or not they are governed by State and National parks we pay rates, fees and taxes and pay for permits already to use most national parks, people who think clubs are gods and do no wrong are dreaming.

And the thought if you owned an off road vehicle and wanted to go bush for a weekend get away with the family or a couple of freinds that you would have to organize it and get your clubs permission and it has to be a registered event that a dozen or more other vehicles come along to is just wrong.

This subject gets under my skin with the way organizations and governments want to take away a basic freedom we as Australians are supposed to have,
and the way the decisions of how the management of the mountian's and bush lands have rules and conditions imposed by city people, governments, clubs and other groups who only visit on occasions or look at the areas on a map and lay down rules without even asking locals.

I have no beef against clubs I think they are good social things for people to be in it is they should not become governors of the land.

If clubs started to close trails and bushlands to the general public and access was for only club member groups how would this be different to the NPWS closing tracks? joe public would still not be able to use them, would this not be a form of private property for the clubs only ? if this was the case make clubs pay rates and insurance on the aloted land amount the same as any other property owners have to.

I agree, it like some person sitting Melbourne telling the Victoria bush fire victims that removing trees away from their house is wrong.

gdog

Seems to me, that most are happy with our usage of tracks, but for the handful of bums that cause excessive damage and cause said problems. The owners or folk responsible for the land have no recourse - can't choke anyone - so their answer is to close or severely restrict access. I believe in freedom of the land. I believe I'm smart and responsible enough to do the right thing. But what you do if you were those people responsible?? How would you stop the damage? How would you make people accountable for the damage they do?

I really wish I had an answer, better than restricting access. Be it to clubs or whatever. I just don't :(

phs

In Victoria, Four Wheel Drive Victoria has been negotiating for affiliated club members to have access to MVO (Management Vehicles Only) tracks for quite a while now. This would be subject to weather conditions and available under strict operating guidelines.

yeah well when i was on the phone to park vic last time about all the closed tracks in the otway ranges a few were to re open next year maybe then to be accesable by 4x4 clubs only

Adventure guy

Seems to me, that most are happy with our usage of tracks, but for the handful of bums that cause excessive damage and cause said problems. The owners or folk responsible for the land have no recourse - can't choke anyone - so their answer is to close or severely restrict access. I believe in freedom of the land. I believe I'm smart and responsible enough to do the right thing. But what you do if you were those people responsible?? How would you stop the damage? How would you make people accountable for the damage they do?

I really wish I had an answer, better than restricting access. Be it to clubs or whatever. I just don't :(

Spot on :)