Urgent please help, safety inspection... heaps to fix

DX Cruiser

I got a safety inspection done at Peninsula 4WD on my cruiser today.

The mechanic gave me a huge list of things to fix which are going to cost a heap that I wasn't prepared for.
The cruiser is running fine besides a clunky noise that only sometimes occurs in 1 - 2 gear. There is a leak in the steering box but its not massive and the power steering still works.
My problem is that I have to drive to Brisbane on Friday and cant risk any trouble on the way but can't get everything fixed.
I would like some input from you guys in regards to what I should defiantly get done and what could wait.

Hears the mechanics list:

Front Brakes 60%, Rear 40%
Rear Door Wiring
Steering Box Oil Leak ($528 + Labor), Hose & Pump Tube Weeping
O/S Inner Headlight
Front & Rear Suspension Arms & Sway Bar Bushes
Rear Differential Pinion Seal Leaking
Handbrake Ajustment
Fan Belts, Reverse Switch Weeping Oil
Engine Mounts ?, Some Fluids, Spare Rusty
Rear Tailshaft Uni Joint ($150 - $200)
Transfer Case Play on Front Output
Front Wheel Bearing Play (Front & Rear Repack ? $350 - $400)
Timing Belt in 6000km
Front Shock Bushes Cracking
Gearbox ???

The mechanic said the Uni joint was the first thing I should get done, 2. then bearings, 3. steering box, 4. rear diff, 5. front shock bushes and suspension arms & sway bar bushes.

Its only 1000 km highway driving. Do you think I could get away with just filling up the power steering fluid, rear diff oil and hoping for the best?

Last edited:

Walkabout

Hmm well are you just driving to Brizzie or driving up, then around and then back to Syd?
Prob not what you want to hear but if you are worried about a break down and from the looks of that list you should be, go rent a car for the weekend.
Its going to be cheaper than fixing just a couple of those items and will give you peace of mind.

If you have to drive it I would say your mechanic is on the money with his list but swap 4 and 5 around - Diff problems don't cause your car to handle badly.

101Bravo

Mate, if you only break down you'll be lucky. There are safety issues with your rig. Play it safe and fix it or forget it and make other plans. Your life (and others around you) are NOT worth risking over a few $$ and some inconvenience.

DX Cruiser

Hmm well are you just driving to Brizzie or driving up, then around and then back to Syd?
Prob not what you want to hear but if you are worried about a break down and from the looks of that list you should be, go rent a car for the weekend.
Its going to be cheaper than fixing just a couple of those items and will give you peace of mind.

If you have to drive it I would say your mechanic is on the money with his list but swap 4 and 5 around - Diff problems don't cause your car to handle badly.

Just to Brizzie and back

DX Cruiser

What do you think I can I do myself? I usually only change engine oil and filters. I have changed break pads and fan belts before.

baldman

You should get a second opinion as there was a report a few months back about the safety checks being a scam to drum up business.

yep, they offer you a free 47 point check and then generally come up with heaps of repairs that need to be done.

I agree with Wombat_Australia about getting the second opinion